New Dell Precision laptop boasts 2.8GHz processor

Dell has taken the wraps off a new mobile workstation that packs speedy new Intel processors and a host of shiny new hardware. In its new Dell Precision M6300, Dell has squeezed a 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme X7900 processor, an Nvidia Quadro FX1600M graphics chip, 802.11n Wi-Fi support, and a choice of storage options that includes encrypted and a solid-state hard drives. The M6300 isn’t lacking on the display front, either; it features a 17″ screen with WXGA+ (1440×900) or WUXGA (1920×1200) resolutions.

Dell hasn’t put the Precision M6300 up on its online store just yet, but DailyTech has a picture of the machine along with some extra details. The site says the notebook has a magnesium alloy chassis and that it weighs in at 8.5lbs (3.86kg), down from 9lbs (4.08kg) for the existing Precision M90 mobile workstation.

• stmok

Nvidia Quadro FX1600M?

Is that a Geforce 8700M?

• harmisajedi

…clearly designed for maintianing 100% raid attendance, even while working…

/end wow nerdness

• bthylafh

I know that battery life isn’t the point of this line, but how long will a battery last on a Precision?

edit: nevermind, I RTFA. I’m impressed that an overpowered thing like this gets four hours.

• evermore

That is likely when you have every power saving option turned on for the entire 4 hours, and have SSD instead of standard hard drive. Try to actually DO anything with the machine and you probably lose 2 hours immediately.

notebookreview.com got 2 to 3.5 hours out of an M90. biosmagazine.co.uk says 2.5 hours.

• 1970BossMsutang

lets see how much dell marks this up compared to a decent 2.2ghz laptop

• Hotdog

There will be “markup” over their standard laptop line, but compared to other workstation-level laptops, they’ll be fairly priced. I’ve bought a lot of M65s and higher here at work for our engineers, and they’ve always been quite nice.

You cannot compare this to a POS B&M 600 dollar jobby.

• ssidbroadcast

I can’t think of a purpose for this laptop outside of providing visuals for a drum & bass concert… and even then, it’s a little excessive.

• zqw

precision is supposed to be a “workstation” for cad/max/maya or video.

• ssidbroadcast

Right. But why have a portable workstation? You’re supposed to be AT WORK, remember? If you make it portable you just sacrifice a lot of power for the sake of mobility. Rather, get a true workstation for your desk or cubicle and stay on task.

I’ve never-ever had the need for Maya or Max on-the-go. You can’t get any significant work done without sitting at your desk for several hours.

• krazyredboy

Actually, I could very much use a 3d-design capable system on the go. Granted, it would be better with a desktop system at work, but I don’t design when I’m at work. I design on my own time and for the pleasure of it. So, as often as I am out and about or visiting with family a few hours away from my home, I rather enjoy the capability of using my laptop to continue working on my designs.

Besides, while I’m at work, my laptop is usually sitting there on my desk, rendering whatever I had made in the last week or so.

Yes, this system would be useful.

• zqw

I’ve seen the tech half of sales teams, and consultants (for 3D/programming) with these. Really if it’s a work expense, the extra $1k (or so) over a regular laptop is a no-brainer. Now, justifying a non-floating $2k+ software license on one of these is a little tougher.

But, I’m with you – overclocked q6600 and a geforce. Even a tablet PC wasn’t enough to sway me.

• indeego

My Pseudo-wifey (interior designer consultant that uses Autocad heavily) commutes often to client sites. We don’t have 100% need for a workstation at home, so this would be an ideal solution.

In fact, I would never recommend a dedicated workstation to her again. The mobility is crucial for what she doesg{<.<}g

• Anomymous Gerbil

Indeego, Indeego, Indeego… you just don’t get it, do you? If ssidbroadcast can’t see the need for a powerful laptop, then why would anyone else in the world have a requirement for one?

Please get with the program, and buy your wife a massive tower workstation (and a very long extension lead).

• jobodaho

As a soon to be architect who is also looking for a new laptop this would be great as well. I don’t just work in one area, I work at school, home, my parents, you get where I’m going with this? I use CAD a little, but it’s 3DS Max, Photoshop, Maxwell Light Simulator, Revit, and others that really give my current system headaches.