Gears of War to hit PCs on November 6

With BioShock and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars now out and Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Team Fortress 2, Unreal Tournament 3, and Crysis yet to come, the second half of this year looks to be a good one for PC gaming. As Shacknews reports, Epic Games promises to make this half of the year even better with its announcement that the PC version of Gears of War will hit stores on November 6.

Aside from letting PC users play with a keyboard and mouse, the PC flavor of Gears of War will bring a few extras, too. Shacknews says those extras will include a new multiplayer mode dubbed "King of the Hill," three additional multiplayer maps, a level editor, and a boss fight with the game’s massive "Brumak" monster.

Until November 6, Shacknews has a few goodies to tide us over: a preview of the PC version of the game as well as screenshots of the new multiplayer maps, the level editor, the Brumak monster, and miscellaneous in-game goodies.

• PRIME1

I bet it will play at better than 640p :p

• Nitrodist

Ooohhhh, man, you just had to bring that up, didn’t you 😛

• Flying Fox

Not if you set it to 800×600.

• afg34

UT3 for lyfe

I hope it eats 6-month-old midrange machines for breakfast like Bioshock does. 😆

• ageejay

enemy territory quake wars has just arrived this morning, not installed it yet. have pre-ordered orange box, been enjoying TF2 (excellent game), have pre-ordered UT3 collectors edition (I’m a game designer so i want the tools too). can wait for crisis and GOW, only reason i ever wanted a 360 was to play GOW (PS3 owner). no reason now to buy a 360 at all.

got so much work to do for clients…spend all my time fragging on my uber rig (dual quad core 2.66 xeons and a quadro fx 4600 gfx card)..

oh the distaraction, the sweet, sweet distraction….

• d0g_p00p

Oh man, just when I was giving up on PC gaming. Gears, ET:QW, Bioshock, TF2, Crysis and UT3. I am glad that I’ll be able to flex the muscle of the 8800GTS I bought.

• A_Pickle

Sort of. You might get to run it at 1280×1024 with all the settings turned up. PC devs code like everyone has two 8800 GTS’s, especially when they’re porting console games.

If there’s one thing that’s nice about the console, it’s developers making the absolute utmost use of the hardware given to them…

• lex-ington

I guess I could try an FPS at some point . . . .

• Pettytheft

It’s not a FPS.

• blitzy

cool, i hope it works as good on pc with a control pad as it did on the 360. As much as I love keyboard and mouse its a lot more relaxing to sit down with a controller

• PRIME1

One less reason to get a 360

• Jigar

i would second that 😀

• emorgoch

q[< To counteract the increased accuracy of the mouse--which very well could have ruined the challenge of the game, let alone the multiplayer balance--Epic has in turn increased the weapon recoil for mouse users, applied automatically upon detection of input. ... Performing a test-fire with the mouse steadied at one point on a wall sent a spray of bullets straight up to the sky. Seconds later, firing at that same spot with an Xbox 360 controller created an impact smear measuring only a few feet in length. <]q Um. WTF?!?!?!? I'm sorry, but I shouldn't be artificially handicapped because I've chosen a superior input method.

• bdwilcox

They also dropped the dime on further consolitis symptoms present in this game. The game is basically one level, ground level, in order to accomodate the lack of 3D spatial navigation that a console controller presented. It’s like a 3D platformer on one platform.

• Vrock

That’s ghey. What’s the point of releasing this on the PC again?

• steelcity_ballin

Cool so when is this new Counter Strike coming out?

• lordT

The weapons are mostly modeled after the real world in CS:S.

• Sargent Duck

Ummmm….. Isn’t this (the recoil) just returning what was taken away from FPS? I mean, they had to nerf GoW so the Xbox people could play it, otherwise it’d be impossible to play. If they just left the port as is, a mouse + keyboard would be too easy. I welcome the additional challenge.

• PerfectCr

Comment stolen from Ars:

PC Elitist Handbook

Rule 5

Console gamers are ignorant, and while they may claim to be having fun, they’re actually missing out on the “true awesome”. (see also rule 2; “KB/M is the only true FPS input mechanism”)

• bdwilcox

Comment stolen from the Book of Experience:

Liberal Argument Handbook

Rule 1:

Whenever someone can’t win an argument of ideas, they usually resort to personal attacks. I.E. calling people elitists.

• StuV

Please tell me you’re kidding. If not, please do not vote or reproduce.

• bdwilcox

Thanks for proving my point.

• PerfectCr

What was your point again? For those slower than you, please explain 😐

• Bauxite

on mouse1 click (or whatever your trigger is)
      mouse position 0,-50 (or whatever trash the “extra recoil” is)
      /pseudo

Not hard for someone to write a little driver hook or whatnot to go around this pile of crap.

• Reldey

I honestly dont care about what im using. Whatever lets me have the more funs with that particular game. I hate playing oblivion on the pc and much more prefer it on the 360. I hate playing fps’s on the computer. I feel limited. at least with the controller i get a real trigger.

• Forge

Punkbuster has closed gow.exe. Reason: Cheat detected.

• SPOOFE

Seems nice and balanced to me. A mouse doesn’t offer “natural” weapon handling by any stretch of the imagination, just like a controller. Games have been tuned to counter the godlike and hyper-unrealistic accuracy of the mouse since they came into vogue as the preferred FPS controller of choice.

They tune things to take into account the pros and cons of a controller; they do the same thing with a mouse.

However, if one were rabidly anti-console, I could see how any move that isn’t a falling-down fapping over PC gaming would be viewed as insulting.

• Nitrodist

This is so sweet.

• JJCDAD

Great news. I’ve tried GoW on the 360, but I just can’t seem to master the controller for FPS games.

• PerfectCr

The game was made for the controller. How could you not “get it”?

• ReAp3r-G

cut him some slack buddy

he might not be used to using controllers to do the dirty work

i’m in that category as well…far back i’ve tried tribes on PS2 it really sucked…since then i always preferred mouse and keyboard…nothing beats it…

GoW is a FPS?

• ReAp3r-G

err…i wouldn’t call it FPS since you see from 3rd person perspective…i’d just call it a shooter simple as that 😀

• crazybus

Wouldn’t that make it a TPS?? 😉

• SHOES

Yea this is now the TPS report!

• mikehodges2

I can’t wait ’til christmas, not only because of these 7 games that i’ll most probably be getting, I’m also trying to avoid buying a new PC until then. I have the money sitting here, just waiting on the arrival of the 2950pro and the Sharp 32″ Full 1080p TV.

Sahweeeeet!

• Sargent Duck

Doh! Christmas time can’t come soon enough. It’s my last year of school, and I swore I wouldn’t play any video games. But with Cysis, GoW, HL2 ep2, UT3…Oh, it’s gonna be hard.

• Vrock

It’s a console game. How good can it be? 😉 /flamebait

• Fighthouse

Srsly, like any1 else liked it other than the kiddies whos mommy bought it for them. PCs 4 l1f3!!!!!!

• marvelous

It’s built on Unreal engine at least. This is more of a multi-platform than anything else.

• Blackmoon