Vista gets a compatibility, reliability, stability hotfix

Microsoft has released a new update for Windows Vista that it says improves the operating system’s compatibility, reliability, and stability. According to Microsoft’s knowledge base entry, the update—numbered KB941649—includes the following enhancements:

• It extends the battery life for mobile devices.
  • It improves the stability of portable computers and of desktop computers that use an uninterruptable power supply (UPS).
  • It improves the reliability of Windows Vista when you open the menu of a startup application.
  • It improves the stability of Internet Explorer when you open a Web page.
  • It improves the stability of wireless network services.
  • It shortens the startup time of Windows Vista by using a better timing structure.
  • It shortens the recovery time after Windows Vista experiences a period of inactivity.
  • It shortens the recovery time when you try to exit the Photos screen saver.
  • It improves the stability of Windows PowerShell.
  • A compatibility issue with some anti-virus software as well as a reliability problem with “certain network driver configurations” are also listed as fixes.

The update itself is available for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Vista. However, Microsoft cautions that only users suffering from problems mentioned above should install it. “This hotfix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next service pack that contains this hotfix,” the company advises.

• totoro

I also had a hang on crcdisk.sys, I think it’s because of AHCI?
      Had to do a system restore from the install disk.

• 5150

Worked fine for me.

• provoko

WTF guys, stop crapping on every single vista news piece. I’m tired of that shit. You can’t get any valuable information with all the crapping going on.

So I started a thread on this hotfix, please post your feedback and keep your opinions of vista away:
      §[<https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53932<]§

• Ryu Connor

Think I’ll skip this patch unless it shows up on Microsoft Update.

• meolsen

Mine simply won’t install — “initializing installation…” stays on screen with no progress in the progress bar at all.

Any one having this problem?

• zbtbabyfactory

#9 Same thing happened to me, but I popped my installation disk in and repaired it and now everything is fine again. I almost had a heart attack.

Edit: Now it starts up a bit faster too. Still, try it at your own risk.

• spuppy

Trying that now

Man it took like 5 minutes for the install screen to load. I thought something was really screwed!

• spuppy

IT WORKED!!!

*phew*

• albundy

After a nasty driver nightmare, Vista is the last OS I will ever use or recommend. Never seen anything so poorly implemented next to Windows Me. An OS needs to be more liberal. xp does the job well.

• bdwilcox

The fix list should just state:

It work gooderer now.

• SGT Lindy

Does it fix the slow network copy problem?

• Bensam123

§[<https://techreport.com/discussions.x/13303<]§ lol... I know people that lived by windows ME as well.

• A_Pickle

Vista isn’t ME.

• eitje

I thought this was an April Fool’s joke when I looked at the list; I had to remind myself that it’s October, not April.

• Forge

My choice to not use Vista has everything to do with sluggishness, poor network speeds, and generally lack of stability.

The whole ‘eww DRM’ and ‘principle’ thing was just icing. XP64 fo life, when I’m not using a real OS instead.

• yfital

No problem here…
      Installed it an hour ago, one restart and thats it.

And btw, the “Only install if needed”, is written on all of their hotfixes, they only put it as a must in SP packages

• Usacomp2k3

Seconded. Installed on my laptop with no issues, for no good reason too 😛

• spuppy

WARNING this hosed my main box. Even safe mode won’t work. It freezes at loading crcdisk.sys

• Heiwashin

lol, feel bad for ya, i was gonna post and say, i find it strange that they warn against installing a hotfix unless you absolutely have too.

• spuppy

Well I have been having the odd BSOD, and my memory and hardware checks out in MemTest. Also, I have been having weird issues with WiFi, so I thought this might fix one or more of those issues.

Guess not.

• Deke_The_Dog

Exact same thing happened to me. I ended up reformatting my box and reinstalling vista. 🙁

• A_Pickle

Hoooray for early adopters! Eh? EH?

…sorry, I’m a jerk. 🙁

• alex666

Yeah, that was totally unnecessary, unkind, and foolish IMHO.

I really appreciate the heads up as I have Vista Home on one of my home systems and would have been inclined to install this hotfix. Thank you spuppy and deke the dog for posting. Sorry you got burned.

• herothezero

Wow…lots of bitching from the familiar corners (i.e., people who don’t and won’t use Vista on “principle”).

q[

• Choralone42

I use Vista nearly every day at work repairing laptops. I can tell you in our experience where I work most of our “joe six-pack” type customers who have machines with Vista don’t like it. And all of the corporate accounts that we service DO NOT have Vista and most have no plans on moving to Vista due to various reasons.

In my experience, most of the people who have machines with Vista and like it are either 1st time computer owners, or folks who finally bought a new machine and was previously using Win9x.

I also do freelance service work for a small local financial firm. They own 1 laptop with Vista Business (due to a mistake when it was ordered) and about a dozen other laptops and desktops with XP. The Vista laptop consistently has had more issues than any of the XP boxes. Thankfully the employee who was using that laptop is leaving the company so they’re going to “upgrade” the laptop back to XP Pro. Which should make everyone’s life easier.

A lot of us aren’t waiting for the perfect OS. Or at least I’m not. I’m perfectly happy with Windows XP and have been since SP1.

Vista has some really nice ideas and features in it, but on the whole I feel it’s not a good OS. Here at work Vista is often called “ME2” and probably will be unless MS fixes a lot of the small (and hopefully some big) problems with SP1.

I’m sure much of the complaining about Vista is also because it’s a change from XP, and a lot of the tech community doesn’t take change very well.

• Whispre

Well, I use Vista every day, at home and at work. I’m a systems admin in a shop that is currently running 85 Vista laptops and 850 Vista Desktops.

They are stable, they work fine. My personal laptop has run Vista for a year now and I have fewer, yes fewer crashes then when the same laptop ran XP.

Yes there were hiccups with software compatability when Vista came out, just like XP, Win2k, WinNT, 98, 95, 3.11 etc. What do you expect?

Used Properly with common hardware and applications Vista is a fine platform with lots to offer. I do not plan on installing this hotfix on any of our machines at this time, they are working well enough not to bother. When this gets pushed out via WSUS, probably as part of SP1 our clients will get it, but there is currently not any need at this time in our environment.

• 5150

This

• bdwilcox

/[

• PetMiceRnice

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m generally at the point now where I won’t consider a new operating system from Microsoft until the first service pack comes out. Honestly too, Windows XP still does everything I want and there has been no compelling reason for me to change right now, especially since I don’t game nearly as much as I used to when I was younger. It does not bother me if I am missing out on some graphics because I’m using DirectX 9 instead of 10.

There you go, a rational reply. 😉

• Austin

r[<;o) <]r Generally by the time SP1 is released the OS (and drivers) are where they should have been at release. IMHO Vista is most in need of SP1 stability and maturity since WinME if not Win95. As for me I'll leave it regardless until the next OS is released, unless I'm Linux only by then. DirectX10 does not seem viable even with the current highest-end hardware and likely to be so for at least 12 months.

• 1970BossMsutang

I’m an admin at my work place as well and we have quite a few computers now laptops and desktops that run vista…they run much better then xp ever did in many cases..i have yet to have any user complaints. Even my 3 computers at home are running vista (2 desktops and 1 laptop) and i never want to go back to xp after playing around with vista. I swear gaming with vista is better as well then with xp and xp x64…i’m not saying xp x64 was any good to begin with but i tested it.

• A_Pickle

Call me crazy, but I think that, sometimes… people can get really smug in their office chairs, criticizing Microsoft for an operating system launch that “should’ve gone better.”

I’m sorry, I must’ve had something in my ear, do you have experience launching erm… the OS that, in a few years time, the world will be using? On what basis do you have to lambast Microsoft for “stability and drivers that should’ve been present at launch?”

Stability-wise, Microsoft has kept their part of the deal. Vista /[

• zgirl

Try again, I’ve been airing my issues with Vista for over 6 months now. I still have and do use it on my work laptop.

It is far from perfect and was rather unpolished before being released.

XP was better at launch. ME was far worse.

Vista though still has issues.

• Archer

Looks like good stuff to me.

Any work that makes the OS better = a good move.

• Shark

You must be new to using any software… at all.

• Gandhi

l[

• Choralone42

l[<"It improves the stability of Internet Explorer when you open a Web page." Really?! One would think a web browser would be stable for performing the singular task it was designed to do out of the box.<]l I was just thinking the EXACT same thing! Leave it to MS to have acknowledge that IE at times can't handle simple tasks such as opening a web page.

• Gandhi

Or this one:

l[

• Vrock

That’s alot of stability improvements. It’s good that they’re releasing them, but the fact that they had to reinforces that Vista just isn’t ready for me yet.

• Jigar