Mac OS X 10.5 ‘Leopard’ to arrive on October 26

The next release of Apple’s operating system, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, was originally scheduled to ship in the spring. However, Apple announced back in April that it was postponing the OS until some time in October in order to get the iPhone out in time.

With the first half of October now behind us, Apple has finally announced a release date for Leopard: October 26. The OS is already available for pre-order from the Apple Store for $129, and Apple says Leopard will become available both individually and pre-loaded on new Macs at 6:00 PM (presumably PST) on that date.

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard will bring a redesigned desktop, a new Finder with iPhone-like Cover Flow functionality, full support for 64-bit systems, built-in Boot Camp software for dual-booting with Windows, a Shadow Copy-like backup tool called Time Machine, and a virtual desktops implementation dubbed Spaces. More information about Leopard is available on the Mac OS X page on Apple’s website.

• hermanshermit

Right, how about a some desktop hardware worth buying to go with it?

Not just a notebook and big monitor both made considerably less useful by sticking them together on a stand and crippling them with entry-level parts.

• herothezero

q[< Time Machine is *nothing* like Shadow Copy. §[<http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/12/road_to_mac_os_x_leop…<]§<]q Clearly, the person that wrote that article has never used VSC under either W2K3 or Vista, not that I'm surprised. That said, TM is a good feature for OS X.

• bdwilcox

Ubuntu 7.10 comes out the 18th.

• SGT Lindy

You know I like Ubuntu but the fact is I need to run applications that are only for Windows.

In many cases there is just no open source alternative to them. Even when there is, they usually pale in comparison.

At least with OS X I can run those Windows apps on the same desktop even with VMWare Fusion….and Office 2008 for OS X is as good or better than Office 2007.

Until Linux has a good way to Windows apps like WMware Fusion then its just not an option for most users.

• bthylafh

Pick your virtualization program. VMware, qemu, kvm, xen, probably others all allow you to run Windows VMs, though (possibly excepting vmware) they don’t integrate the VM and host as well as Parallels or Fusion.

• SGT Lindy

However with OS X, I can run many popular Windows apps because they are also written for OS X……Office, Photoshop etc.

Limiting my Fusion Unity apps to just a few must haves…..like Visio or IE7 for those sites that need it.

With Ubuntu (or any Linux OS) all Windows applications must be run in a VM….at that point when I working 90% of the time in a VM….I should just run XP as my host OS.

• blastdoor

“and Office 2008 for OS X is as good or better than Office 2007.”

It will be interesting to see if that holds true. Office 2008 will lack VBA which will be terrible for some people but completely unnoticed by others (I’m relieved to fall into the latter category myself, but I sympathize with those in the former). From my perspective, the huge advantage of Office 2008 will be the retention of a normal UI — I hate the lack of a menu driven UI in Office 2007. I suppose the ribbon might be nice for new users, but other than 8 year olds, who is a new user of MS Office? MS singlehandedly destroyed more accumulated human capital with the release of Office 2007 than… well, I can’t think of any other example that doesn’t involve mass murder.

• SGT Lindy

Yeah the ribbon is hard to get used to. I was so frustrated trying to find things for a long while. I still dont like it.

2007 has some great 3D featurs in Powerpoint and Outlook has a lot more features that make it even better…..but all of that could have been a SP for Office 2003.

Its much slower than 2003 that is for sure.

• adisor19

What really pisses me off is that they removed THE ONE feature i was really looking forward to in BootCamp : Hibernate and switch between Windows and OS X !!!

Can you imagine, all you do is click a button and 10 seconds later you’re in another OS ! WHY THE HELL DID THEY REMOVE THIS ?? They initially promised it right after WWDC presentation on their website and then 2 days later they removed it from the website 🙁

Why Apple, WHY ?!??

Adi

• Ethyriel

Damn, that would be badass. It doesn’t sound easy to implement, though, maybe next release.

• BlackStar

Can’t you install a custom boot loader like GRUB or LILO and get that functionality that way? I have hibernating & dual booting between XP, Vista, Ubuntu x86 and x86_64 this way for quite a long time (ok, more like quad booting). I don’t know about Mac OS X, but it should be possible (and relatively easy to implement – I think)

• Ethyriel

I got the impression it’s bypassing POST.

• blastdoor

Yeah, that would have been sweet. I hope they add it back in later as a ..x release.

I also hope they implement resolution independence. That’s the thing I was most hoping for but appears to have gone missing.

• etilena

now to budget for that new mac purchase to try out Leopard

heh, same. And I don’t want to go low-powered Mac, either. Maybe a medium-powered Mac, or a laptop. I can’t decide…

• Gandhi

Time Machine is *nothing* like Shadow Copy.

§[<http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/12/road_to_mac_os_x_leopard_time_machine.html&page=3<]§ Already pre-ordered - looking forward to the goodness being delivered 10/26

• thecoldanddarkone

Actually that article is full of bs. First of all it can backup to a different hard drive, IN FACT IT MAKES YOU back up on a different logical drive!!!! B, you can look at past backups sorted by date’s and by filename, anyone who says that it doesn’t is full of it. Third it is not tied to system restore, it just happens to be on the Backup and Restore function tab which does have a rollback feature. It’s so hard to find backups in fact, ohh wait just index the drive… scratch that.

• ew

Time Machine is also nothing special. This can do the same thing §[<http://www.rsnapshot.org/<]§ and it has been around for a long time. Of course Time Machine's UI will be better.

• ssidbroadcast

And here Ghandi thought it wasn’t going to be on shelves within October…

• Materiel

A nitpick, but I think it should read, “…with iTunes-like Cover Flow functionality…”