Apple updates MacBooks with Santa Rosa

In the aftermath of the launch of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, which has already sold more than two million copies, Apple has beefed up its laptops with new processors and chipsets from Intel’s "Santa Rosa" platform. As MacRumors says, the change was done quietly with no PR announcement from Apple, and MacBooks are still offered at the same $1,099, $1,299, and $1,499 price points.

However, MacBooks now ship with 2GHz or 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo processors with 800MHz front-side bus speeds, compared to 2GHz or 2.16GHz models with 667MHz FSBs before. Apple has replaced the machines’ Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics with GMA X3100 graphics, and the highest capacity hard drive is now a 250GB 5400RPM model rather than the old 200GB 4200RPM offering.

Apple now offers a 2.6GHz Core 2 Duo processor and a 250GB hard drive as options for MacBook Pros, as well. Like the updated MacBooks, the new MacBook Pros are available right now from the Apple Store.

• crazybus

I wonder why Apple didn’t use this update to fix the Canadian price disparity. They’re charging us $236 usd more for a entry level Macbook and $513 more for a 17″ Macbook Pro. I guess that makes it worth driving across the border to buy.

• Saribro

And still, you need to spend needlessly on CPU and harddrive upgrades, just to get a DVD-writer. Oh, the madness… :/

• adisor19

You can always buy the DVD writer or hard drive or whatever component you want from anywhere else and install it yourself. I guarantee you it will almost always be 50% cheaper then the price Apple will ask for.

This isn’t for everybody, but it works for me 🙂

Adi

• ssidbroadcast

Well there we have it. I believe I asked about this in a previous thread when trying to figure out what my intel Macbook was based on. Deduced it down to Napa-based, merom core.

I got my macbook back in May, when Santa Rosa was either brand new or just around the corner. A GMA3100 and DDR2 800 /[

• smilingcrow

“I can’t imagine waiting for it for an extra 6+ months just to get those two things. Not a big deal, people.”

In this case I agree that waiting 6 months or even 6 weeks for this upgrade isn’t worth it for many people. But there are situations where the upgrade is much more significant which is what bothers some.
      Whilst Apple are exclusively using Intel’s platform it does at least give Apple users the chance of monitoring Intel’s well signposted roadmaps to see if anything of significance is up ahead. Until the day comes when Apple change platform again and all bets are off.

• herothezero

q[

• herothezero

q[< I like how Apple does not offer price protection for retailers with the 'old' MacBooks.<]q For their retailers? What about for their users? That's one of the things I find most egregious about Apple's secrecy with product rollouts--you have no idea what the roadmap is for development or when certain products will hit. No wonder Macolytes flock to the rumor sites--it's all they have.

• bthylafh

I don’t see any difference between Apple and e.g. Dell in that regard.

Besides, if a computer maker announces that product X will be replaced in a few weeks by product Y which will be faster and cheaper, the market for X will suddenly dry up and there goes your quarterly profit.

• StashTheVampede

Why would they, in effect, “warn” consumers about impending product launches? Apple’s hardware makes them money (along with their line of pro tools for AV).

Telling any user “hey, that’s a sweet notebook you got. if you wanted another 3 weeks, you could have a sweeter one for the same price” really won’t help you garner any fans. If Sony, Dell, Acer, HP let users know of impending new hardware launches, their shareholders would be pissed (just like Apple’s) and they would have stock sitting on shelves.

• adisor19

Mac Book Pros ALREADY HAD 800Mhz FSP CPUs !! They already use the Santa Rosa chipset since the last update.

The only new thing on the MBP is the 2.6Ghz CPU option.

Cyril, please correct the article.

Adi

• Nitrodist

You offer no proof so… prove it?

• adisor19

WTF ??! The proof was everywhere. Look up and tech news websites and you’ll see the last update to the MBP was the SANTA ROSA platform update.

Adi

• Nitrodist

I was just wondering if it was true… sheesh.

• danazar

Nevermind! I misread everything. Okay, article does need fixed, apparently.

• adisor19

I e-mail Cyril asking him to fix it.. nothing yet :s

Comme on guys, this is kind of a glaring mistake..

Adi

• Kraft75

We are talking about Macbooks, not Macbook Pros guys….

Edit: Oh I see what you guys are talking about, the last paragraph of the news mentioning the MBPs.

Carry on!

now it’s fixed, so people can come along and legitimately say “wtf u talking about!!!!!11” LOL

• Stijn

Seems like the MacBook’s are getting more and more attractive.
    If it had a 15″ screen, I’d be sold… (although most people see the 13″ size as a plus).

• bthylafh

I thought the same before work bought me a Macbook. My setup’s not bad at all: MB, Bookendz dock, Hanns-G JW199D 19″ LCD monitor, mouse, Unicomp keyboard, Parallels.

When I want to use it as a laptop, I’m sitting closer to the screen anyway and it doesn’t bother me so much, and it makes a good secondary screen for keeping my email program up.

• Alex

Then I don’t think your friend has a MacBook Pro. The Pro has never had integrated Intel graphics to the best of my knowledge.

It’s either ATi X1600 or Nvidia 8600M GT in the Pro models.

EDIT: This is in response to 1970BossMsutang. I screwed up the reply… 🙂

• DASQ

I like how Apple does not offer price protection for retailers with the ‘old’ MacBooks.

Jerks.

• 5150

Yeah, well, welcome to the computer business. Try selling HP, Canon, or Sony, it’s all the same screw-job.

• DASQ

HP has rebates and price drops regularly for their printers.

• David