$199 Blu-ray drive coming to a PC near you

Folks who want to add high-definition playback to their PCs without maxing out their credit cards can already opt for Microsoft’s Xbox 360 HD DVD drive, which costs $169.99 on Newegg. Things are a little pricier in the Blu-ray camp, however, where the cheapest PC-bound Blu-ray drive is $239.99.

As gadget site Gearlog reports, the Blu-ray team has announced a new, sub-$200 Blu-ray drive that may very well sway some buyers away from the HD DVD proposition this holiday season. The new drive is made by Philips and Lite-On, and it’s launching with a price tag of $199. This isn’t a burner, mind you: the PLDS DH-4O1S drive can only play back Blu-ray, DVD, and CD media at maximum speeds of 4X, 12X (8X for rewritable DVDs), and 32X, respectively. Those looking for a Blu-ray burner to back up their Linux ISOs will need to pony up a little extra for a burner like Lite-On’s $460 LH-2B1S. Nonetheless, the PLDS DH-4O1S has the advantage of being an internal, 5.25" drive and of being bundled with a copy of Cyberlink’s PowerDVD software.

• Kent_dieGo

I have seen HD-DVD-R and BluRay DVD-R blank recordable disks for $8.00 and BluRay burners are $445 on NewEgg. Progress is being made. I bet in two years we start seeing reasonable prices on this stuff. The cheapest I have seen DVD-DL blanks is $1.25 and those burners have been standard for at least two years.

• Rakhmaninov3

I’m just going to wait until the format war is over (or almost over) and I can get one of them to install in my computer for $50 or so, like good DVD drives are now. It won’t be a brand new tech when I eventually buy it at $50, but chances are it’ll be the best thing for a few years after that (just like DVD was) and the individual movies won’t cost $30 each anymore like they do now.

• albundy

wally’s world has hd-dvd players for $100! Plus I dont like to be between two formats fighting each other.

• Vrock

Correction: Wally World /[

• Spotpuff

The price isn’t what is going to be my deciding factor, the whole format war is.

Pick a format ffs. Format war bs never works out for the consumer and a bunch of people are going to get burned on this until they release cheap hybrid drives, and even then, they’re shooting themselves in the foot on early adoption.

• evermore

Format wars benefit the consumer by driving down prices as each tries to become the de-facto standard. The only people that get burned are the idiots that rush out to buy the newest stuff at the highest price. Without VHS, we’d probably still be using BetaMax tapes and maybe LaserDisc.

• Anomymous Gerbil

Oh dear. A person isn’t an idiot just because they have enough money not to care about price, when they want something new that they value.

Maybe you’re a tad envious?

(I don’t own any BluRay or HD-DVD gear.)

• evermore

Tear down the Xbox HD-DVD drive, install the drive into your PC, connect an mini-ATAPI adapter (http://www.directron.com/cddvdadapter.html), then if you wanted to have fun, stick an IDE to SATA adapter on that, and you’ve got a “$170 plus the cost of the adapter” internal HD-DVD drive. Not that the bezel would look pretty. You could probably re-attach the bezel with some glue, but it still wouldn’t match anything. But that’s what spare bezels and Dremels are for.

• poulpy

Err this may sound silly but can’t you just hook it up using the USB connector instead of getting all the artillery out?

Edit: nevermind I just realised that all this was to counter the /[<"the PLDS DH-4O1S has the advantage of being an internal, 5.25" drive"<]/..

• ssidbroadcast

You’re not going to have enough bandwidth on a USB connection.

• poulpy

Err this may again sound silly but given that it’s an USB drive how is it done on the 360 then?

• Usacomp2k3

With USB2 having a theoretical bandwidth of 60MB/sec, that should be more than plenty for playing HD-DVD’s. I don’t think I’ve seen a bitrate over 35mbps, so there’s still a whole lot of theoretical room available.

• Meadows

If you mean decimally, then you’re right. Otherwise, however, the theoretical peak is 57.22 MiB/s, if we want to be bloody accurate. ๐Ÿ™‚

Since people use binary prefixes a lot more often.

• Corrado

I paid $250 for my first SCSI 4x Panasonic CD Burner, and $75 for the 2940A Adaptec scsi card to run it. $200 isn’t bad, until you factor in that its ONLY a reader.

• jackjohnson011

So ah . . . this has been out for awhile.

LG has had its combo Blu-ray and HD-DVD drive out for quite some time now. Plus its a DVD/CD burner!!!

I would consider this a better deal.

$299

ยง[<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136133<]ยง

• ew

When something like this is <= $100 I’ll buy. I don’t think I’ll ever want to burn either of the HD formats. Even now I rarely ever burn DVD.

• JJCDAD

Vista – $$$
    HDCP Compliant GPU – $$$
    HDCP Compliant Monitor – $$$
    Blu-Ray player – $$$

That’s a lot of $$$ just to watch a movie on your computer. ๐Ÿ™

• Usacomp2k3

Then DVD’s are what you want.

• Krogoth

You could go the illegal route.

Get a decent broadband service = $
      Pay for some nodes on some major newsgroups = $
      Get some large HDDs = $

Being able to play HD content at full resolution without any HDCP nonsense = priceless.

HDCP compliance is just flat out moronic. It just ends up alienating legit customers. WTF, do you need to get new GPU, compliant OS and more importantly a new monitor to enjoy HD content at full resolution. The whole thing is just a big middle finger that does little to prevent piracy.

• Usacomp2k3

You are an idiot for recommending that.
        If you don’t like it then don’t buy it.

• Krogoth

Just making a point on how asinine it is in order to have legit HD playback at full resolution. Going illegal route is literately one hell of a steal.

The reason? Big Media wants to remove control from the customer and freedom from PC user. They are using priacy as a conveient scapegoat.

I am not advocating priacy as the answer to the problem. I am just revealing what the illegal route would look like nor did I provide any links or advice how to obtain the certain “tools”. Nerwsgroups suggestion is vague as it can be used for legit purposes.

• poulpy

Although I wouldn’t advocate piracy he’s got a point with this whole HDCP thing being a complete alienation of the customer and a rip-off.
          I really hope that both formats die a painful death and that we’ll get rid of those moronic securities for the next round.
          Then they’ll see the colour of my money.

And it seems pretty clear that he neither likes it nor buys it ๐Ÿ™‚

• Usacomp2k3

My video card and monitor are all HDCP and I have Vista, so *shrug* doesn’t bother me.

• Krogoth

The mointor part of the compliance is what really pisses me off and probably many others the most. There are tons of older mointors that are quite capable of handling HD resolutions. “OH NOES! it doesn’t have a secure connection! Therefore, people can steal our content!”.

• albundy

bullseye. however, you wont find many uncapped isps that will allow you to download 1tb per month and you wont find many uploaders spending their bandwidth to upload a 30-50gb flick.

• morphine

Welcome to the DRM-enabled world. Hope you enjoy your stay.

• stdPikachu

Enjoy your stay? Does that imply you’re allowed to leave? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Welcome to the digital Village.

“I assure you, that no matter what significance you may hold for me, to the Village and its Committee, you are merely Citizen Number Six, who has to be tolerated, and if necessary, shaped to fit.”

• Usacomp2k3

Hmm. I wonder if MS can finally get this integrated into Media Center properly. That’s a very important factor for me.

• FroBozz_Inc

This is precisely the reason why I dumped the XBOX360 HD-DVD drive and bought the $100 Toshiba standalone from WalMart. Vista MCE’s support of HD-DVD and BluRay is shoddy at best. No integration to the MCE interface at all. PowerDVD Ultra feels like a hack at best, incomplete support of the MCE remote. BTW, this is only an OK deal if the bundled copy of PowerDVD is PowerDVD Ultra, required for use with the HD formats. Scope around on the AVForums and you’ll see all sorts of problems people are having with the HD series ATI cards (recommended by Cyberlink) and PowerDVD. It’s jsut a bad combination that caused me a lot of grief, so I threw in the towel and am much happier with the standalone Toshiba HD-A2. No more BS.

I sold my XBOX drive for $100, minus King Kong and the UPC from the box.

• FubbHead

Media Player Classic and a good codec is all you need….

• Usacomp2k3

Except for the whole 10-foot-interface thing. Oh, and integration into media center.

• Jon

Wait 2 years for the prices to drop. Which individual in their right mind is going to pay that much?

• Inkedsphynx

I know many people (myself included) that paid over 100$ for their first CD drive and first DVD drive.

Probably less likely this time around though due to the format war, and the fact that this isn’t a burner. If this was a burner, the thing would FLY off the shelves at 200$. I’d almost gaurantee that.

• poulpy

And I can almost guarantee that if it was a burner if would also be much more expensive -say $460- and therefore quite less flying off the shelves :-p

• etilena

Paid AUD$320 for my first DVD writer. It was the cheaper alternative back then compared to adding another hard disk to my pc. talk about ouch.

• BKA

I’m with you on that one. I paid $300 for my first 2x or 4x DVD burner. I just can’t get rid of it knowing how much I spent for it. It’s now sitting in the original box in the closet. On another note I paid $30 for my latest DVD-+RW-DL burner. How times have changed.

And I agree if that was a BR burner for $200 I’d buy one in a minute. But the picture difference between DVD to HDDVD or BR isn’t worth it for me just yet.

• nagashi

Anyone buying a $3000 computer I suppose… It’s realistically not the most expensive component in the case at that price range.

• prashu

The format war is still ripe… but it’s gonna take a lot more time…
          I’m glad that the CD Burner that I purchased during those ‘new to market’ days is dead. I still laugh aloud when I think of the price of the same product now ๐Ÿ™‚ But I’m not buying till it’s price is dropped below $100 or so.. all those who have large budgets for new pcs can go for it…

• flip-mode

LOL at a “sub $200” price of $199.

• Jigar

Now that’s one good news, but hey wait a minute, no one sells Blu-ray in India … LOL