Dell tablet PC specs leak out

Dell has so far stayed out of the tablet PC game, preferring instead to stick with ultraportable notebooks like the XPS M1330. However, a “Latitude XT” tablet PC from the company is fast approaching, and the guys at istartedsomething have learned detailed specifications as well as a release date for the machine.

They say the Latitude XT tablet PC will have a 1.2GHz ultra-low voltage Core 2 Duo, a 12.1″ display with a 1280 x 800 resolution, 1GB of DDR2-667 memory, ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 integrated graphics, a DVD burner, an 80GB hard drive, and support for 802.11n, Bluetooth 2.0, as well as FireWire connectivity. The system will weigh in at either 1.6 kg (3.57 lbs) or 1.8 kg (4 lbs), depending on battery capacity and display type. Both fluorescent and LED display backlights will be available.

According to istartedsomething, the Latitude XT was scheduled to be released on November 16 in Europe and on December 3 in North America. However, considering the machine has yet to appear on Dell’s European sites, istartedsomething says it might have been postponed—perhaps as a result of the recent LCD shortage. (Thanks to Gizmodo for the tip.)

• strikeleader

You would think that Dell would move to a SATA hard drive configuration instead of PATA.

• esterhasz

AFAIK 1,8″ drives are only available with PATA because only the SATA ~2.6 specs specify a mini SATA plug. ..

• nstuff

I know Dell has been waiting in the shadows for the right time to come out with their own tablet. They’ve been partnered with Motion Computing for a long time and sending all their customers to Motion when they bring up the T word.

Well, in a way, this will not compete with Motion since they focus completely on the slate design. Assuming these specs are correct, then this will be one of the first light-weight convertible designs *with* the optical drive. That really has my attention and i’m sure a lot of others. If this fits the standard Dell latitude dock and ac adapter, then i’m sure these suckers will sell like hotcakes.

Unlike other manufacturers, Dell has maintained the same ac adapter and docking connection for the last 4+ years and all latitude models (except for the X1 and a few others) fit the standard dock. This has been a boon for the enterprise world not having to deal with which dock fits which laptop over the years.

I myself have been thinking about what my next laptop will be. I have a pretty nice gaming desktop, so i think i’ve been leaning towards something small and light weight while still including a built-in optical drive for a laptop. I hate the dongle method. So, that along with convertible tablet (touch + pen) and i saw somewhere that this might support some form of mult-touch capabilities, this may be a pretty darn cool product.

I just hope they keep the price reasonable… I’m sure they will charge more than the D430, but i seriously hope nothing more than $1,500 for the base model.

• eitje

agreed. looking at these specs, i really want one of these!

• blitzy

i most interested in the quality of the screen and digitizer (whether its wacom or touch sensitive etc)

• DrDillyBar

I’ve had some hands on time with one of them. Just a bit too small for me and I’ve got a Latitude D410 for comparison. About time Dell realeased a Tablet PC though…