Ageia touts PhysX card deals, new game support

Dell isn’t the only company reducing prices in order to squeeze in sales ahead of Black Friday: Ageia has just dropped us a line to let us know that both Newegg and TigerDirect are running specials on its PhysX physics accelerator. Newegg has a mail-in rebate that bumps the price of BFG’s PhysX card down from $144.99 to $99.99, and TigerDirect has a smaller $20 rebate that drops the same card to $124.99.

Mail-in rebates may turn off some buyers, especially considering the small handful of PC games with PhysX support. However, Ageia hopes to lure in customers with new game support, as well. Tomorrow, the company tells us it will release two mod maps—dubbed Tornado and Ligthhouse—for Unreal Tournament 3 as well as a “mod-kit” for Epic’s new shooter. The mods will showcase PhysX effects and will be available for download from this page, which already hypes up the Tornado map with a video.

Ageia also says NetDevil’s first-person shooter Warmonger: Operation Downtown Destruction is on track for its release on November 28. The title is based on Unreal Engine 3 and uses PhysX technology to enable destructible environments. It’s already available as a public beta test over on Ageia’s site.

• axeman

I’m surprised they haven’t folded yet.

• tygrus

It would not be so bad if it was a more general purpose computing accelerator. Tasks like: CAD/3D; fluid dynamics or other scientific simulation; distributed computing (eg. FAH); audio/video processing; database text search; statistical calculations … anything with double FP and large arrays. Though ClearSpeed is expensive and limited software available (though it can be programmed by HPTC users).

It’s hard for the physics to have such a time critical role in FRAPS that it can’t afford to be done by anything else but on the video card.

I wonder if the issue of PCIe latency is a temporary problem or a permanent design flaw due to the conversion to serial links and then waiting for a byte per link before reconstruction (or complete packet before use).

• DaveJB

To be fair, the principle of physics acceleration does have some merit – a number of the demos I’ve seen (including the PhysX Island in GRAW2) look awesome, and beyond what you could reasonably achieve even on a quad-core processor. However, they need to take their PPU back to the drawing board, and design it properly around the principle of accelerating physics. Right now, it’s nothing more than a really big parallel FP processor, which just happens to be moderately effective at physics calculations.

• Jigar

AMD or NVIDIA, please buy Ageia. Or is it that it’s not worth ?

• zqw

That video was sad. Destroying predefined wall/roof areas and tornado debris clipping through solid walls is not next gen physics.

• sigher

Indeed, clipping through solids, I thought the whole advertised difference between ageia and GPU physics was that it was realistic and interacting with other objects, this seems to be just fake fluff then.

• spuppy

Man these guys must have a ton of money in the bank, they are managing to stay alive this long without anyone buying their products or developing for their platform.

• achaycock

I’ve always been interested in the PhysX card, but so many factors stop me, even in terms of supporting a novel idea, not least of which are my two double slot Graphics cards combined with my X-Fi and PCI USB card (‘cos 8 ports just aren’t enough) resulting in me having no slots left.

Frankly, I believe that they should have sold it for £50 in the first place as a loss leader. And I mean £50 not $100/£100 as they usually do. It would have cost them a fortune, but got them established. Then, once there was game support (and I think at £50 enough cards would sell to get the game support), you do an Nvidia. Update your product, a lot. I honestly think that would have worked. Too little too late now methinks.

• sigher

With a x-fi using the PCI bandwidth already AND other devices like an USB card then I’m guessing that a PPU would be simply not able to work really.
      Incidentally, why didn’t you use a hub instead of a card? but nm that, it’ your choice.

• DASQ

If someone gave me a free PhysX card, I wouldn’t use it.

• BRiT

Another case of “Too little too late.” The price should have been $150 at the start and hit $100 many months ago.

• gtoulouzas

My thoughts exactly. PhysX ranks right down there with “killernic” ethernet cards on my list of purchases. In the spirit of the days : put a fork in it ; it’s done.

• DrDillyBar

I’m using my two available PCI slots already thanks, call me when it’s PCIe at the very least.

• clone

I have so little interest in Ageia products I’d have a tough time ponying up $50.00….. I’ve also little doubt that by the time Ageia’s physics support actually matters the cards being offered will be considered junk.

all of that said anyone who’s really intersted in their products certainly wouldn’t be making a huge mistake when the price is only $100.00 unlike when they were initially released above $250.00

• Sargent Duck

Something tells me those servers hosting those maps that require phsyx are going to be rather empty…

• moose17145

hopefully this helps them some. I have always thought Ageia had a good idea/product from the get go.

• sigher

On paper it was exciting, but the paper has already started to decay.