New mobile browser handles YouTube, Google Maps

If Apple’s mobile Safari browser makes you green with envy, but you’d rather not trade in your expensive Windows Mobile smart phone for an iPhone, there may be a solution. As Engadget reports, a company called Skyfire has unveiled a new mobile browser by the same name that brings a Safari-like user interface to Windows Mobile, with an exciting twist—full Flash support.

Indeed, Skyfire says its browser effortlessly handles YouTube and other Flash-based websites. There’s also support for Java and JavaScript, which lets the browser render sites like Google Maps as they would appear on a desktop PC. You don’t have to take the company’s word for it, either. A video up on YouTube shows the browser in action rendering CNN, YouTube, ESPN, and Google Maps pretty much flawlessly.

Skyfire is still in development, but users can sign up for a private beta test. To participate, a U.S. mobile phone number, some type of data plan, and a smart phone running either Windows Mobile 5 or 6 are needed. Symbian phones will be supported in future releases.

• A_Pickle

SOLD! WOOOOOHOOOO!

I love my phone (now). 😀

• Hattig

“what you can do last year, I can do better at some point in the future once all the bugs are ironed out…”

The lack of Flash and Java on the iPhone is probably quite limiting for the owners. On the other hand on your typical day I can see 98% Flash advertisements, and that would suck to download on any kind of 2G or 3G connection.

• tfp

Yeah and I can’t say flash would be very battery friendly either.

• MattMojo

Agreed… I don’t like the Iphone and I admit I am a PPC WM advocate… 🙁 but what the Iphone did was wake up MS from their slumber to focus the next round of WM updates around “Iphone like” features and usability — kudos to Apple for that one. But a productivity device that has no file management is and a scarce third-party support is like buying a device and instead getting a kick in the nads. I’m sure it will change…. eventually…. but WM can do sooo sooo much more — nothing like emulating DOS and running starcraft to pass the time when waiting in line — or SNES for that matter.

Basically, all I am saying is that there is nothing (except the visual VM — which would be AWESOME on WM) that the Iphone can do that WM cannot do and usually do better.

Mojo

• indeego

We skipped WM6, which was a non-update. If MS doesn’t do something significant with WM7 we’re off their mobile platformg{<.<}g

• MattMojo

My WM6 samsung phone (I760) works wonderfully — most of the past issues with WM5 (rebooting all the time) are non-existent in this phone. — that being said even though I have SPB pocket plus 4 installed (which pplus is widely known for freezing WM) and other shell enhancing programs — my phone runs like a champ — no rebooting unless I install/uninstall a program and such.

It is quite fast even pocket IE. You should check out some of the newer offerings before you completely dismiss it — at least put it to trial — you do get 30 days.

Mojo

• MattMojo

“what you can do I can do better…” *whistles*

Mojo

• bhtooefr

I believe Opera Mobile on Windows Mobile supports the Flash plugin…

• A_Pickle