Vista Service Pack 1 hits manufacturing, coming in March

We’ve been hearing rumors since last month that the first service pack for Windows Vista may show up as soon as the middle of this month. All talk of a February 15 release date has been pure speculation so far, but now the head honcho in Redmond has loosened his tongue a little, and signs indeed point to an imminent launch.

As CNet relates, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer told financial analysts earlier today that both Vista’s Service Pack 1 patch bundle and its next server operating system, Windows Server 2008, have been released to manufacturing. The official Windows Server 2008 launch is scheduled for February 27, so a Vista SP1 launch before the end of the month seems highly likely. In fact, some sources suggest Microsoft could release SP1 to the public as early as today.

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 will bring a broad swath of changes, including all patches released for Vista so far, some performance and reliability enhancements, and new/updated functionality. Some of those new features and updates will include DirectX 10.1, a more open desktop search system, tightened piracy prevention (albeit coupled with a less stringent lockdown mechanism for uncovered pirate copies), and support for the exFAT file system, 802.11n Wi-Fi networking, and the Extensible Firmware Interface. Ballmer expects SP1 to be a major factor in improving Vista’s adoption rate in the enterprise.

Update: Microsoft says in its official press release that SP1 will only become available to customers starting in March. As always, Volume Licensing customers will be served first.

• herothezero

q[

• Taddeusz

I concur. Choice may be a good thing but too much choice can be a major hindrance. I believe that is one of the major factors in why Linux hasn’t become more popular in the mainstream. You get someone who isn’t really very computer savvy and the Linux arena just looks a mess. Everyone has their own idea of what Linux should be so there are an overabundance of distros available. It’s quite overwhelming and works against the adoption of Linux in the mainstream.

• Cannyone

I had decided that wait just long enough to see if this SP fixed Vista’s many issues. So today’s annoucement is supremely frustraiting.

That we’ve waited this long to have MS address some of these issues, by releasing a Service Pack. And now they want us to wait another 6 weeks? This just confirms that Microsoft’s management are Idiots and we really do need to find alternatives to Microsoft’s Operating Systems.

Maybe some of you think Vista and Microsoft are great, that’s fine with me. I’m not going to put up with this BS any more. For the near term I guess I’ll just revert to XP, since I have allot of software and hardware that works wonderfully with it. But I suppose I really need to learn to use Linux, and this is a “wake up call”. I only wish I had seen this coming…

• Taddeusz

And somehow you don’t think this has happened in the past? I’m pretty sure this is probably the way it works every time Microsoft releases a new major SP. They have to let OEM’s get prepared for the upcoming support before they release it to the general public.

• indeego

Every other RTM has had availability to the public. MS has an extranet for OEM partners and testing, presumably they are working with them on the issues and have been for at least 9 months since this all started. So why announce this now, and not when it is readyg{

• bdwilcox

No need to “learn” Linux as long as you run a good distribution. Try LinuxMint for its simplicity, elegance, and polish. It’s the OS Ubuntu should have been. Highly recommended.
      §[< http://www.linuxmint.com<]§

• indeego

lol, the whole page is puke green and “alpha” and “beta” scream out at you. Ubuntu may be a tad rough around the edges, but it has a support community that rivals every other distg{<.<}g

• bdwilcox

Don’t let the LinuxMint webpage fool you; the OS is excellent. And all the beta stuff you’re seeing is for KDE and xfce interface editions. The Gnome iteration of version 4 is stable. I’m using it right now and have had zero problems with it. It installed complete and stable, no driver updates needed. The only thing I downloaded and installed was Evolution and that was a one-click affair. Maybe you should try it before mocking it.

• adampk17

Defensive much?

• thecoldanddarkone

You know what I think your full of it, but I’ll try the distro in a vm when I get back home from Minneapolis.

• indeego

I’ll def give it a try, as I’ve been hearing more about it, but I’m just saying their page needs help. I like introducing people to linux dists (although I’ll admit I can’t convert a single soul, however that will change with my kids, as there is no way I’m raising them on Window$g{<.<}g)

• herothezero

Given that the code is released to manufacturing, it’s supremely irritating that we can’t get the damn thing before 1 March–if it’s already done, why not just release the downloadable code?

• Shinare

Exactly what I was thinking. And I even when to my MSDN sub and didn’t see it there. 🙁

• StashTheVampede

Why can’t MS release it? Contracts with OEMs. Remember: MS makes a HUGE amount of money with OEM contracts (not just the license, but the support) and OEMs want to have the latest and greatest at the same time their existing customers are upgrading.

Dell/HP/etc are looking at HUGE amounts of testing/upgrading existing and upcoming boxes for SP1 — they *need* to be ready to have rollout/deployment/driver instructions for their customers as well.

Releasing the SP, to the general public, would completely blindside OEMs with support issues. At least this is giving them a heads up…

• ElderDruid

For MSDN subscribers, should hopefully show up soon. They already posted Server 2008 RTM.

• Byzantine1453

Should be interesting to see what it changes. It would be nice to see a performance boost.

• Logdan

There are definite improvements. I’ve been using the Betas and RC releases of SP1 for awhile now with no “show stopping” issues. Then again, you can get most of the gaming related fixes from Windows Update rather than wait for the service pack, the majority of fixes the pack contains aren’t meant for gaming (which isn’t a bad thing, just pointing it out).

• kaikara

I agree – I have tried both RC on my main system and laptop and there are definite inprovements. I never had any major problems but all the little things that bugged me have been fixed. For example my file explorer would sometimes freeze when opening for 30-60 seconds and then go active. That has been fixed. Overall the system seems faster with less hard drive thrashing too. Plus the network file transfers slowness issue has been fixed.