Microsoft drops Xbox 360 HD DVD drive price to $129.99

Going along with the HD DVD camp’s aggressive price cuts, which have already taken Toshiba HD-A3 player down to just $149.99, Microsoft has reduced the price of its HD DVD drive add-on for the Xbox 360 console to $129.99. The drive launched at $199.99 and went down to $179 last summer before some online retailers started offering it for $130 in December.

This time, however, the price cut comes from Microsoft itself, and it should propagate across all retailers. Along with the new price tag, Microsoft allows customers to sign up to receive five free HD DVDs (PDF) by mail. The list of free titles is limited (only 15 are available), and the offer only applies to HD DVD hardware purchased between October 1, 2007 and February 28, 2008.

We probably don’t need to point out that Warner—the biggest player in the home video business—decided to forsake HD DVD last month, effectively signing the format’s death warrant. Today, only Universal and Paramount are still releasing HD DVD movies, while Sony, Fox, Disney, Lionsgate, and Warner are all backing Blu-ray exclusively.

• kvndoom

Discount them now; they probably won’t be able to give them away a year from now. Probably be a Blu-Ray player for the 360 by then.

• indeego

Watched a DVD upscaled on a Samsung 46-inch over the weekend. God it was gorgeous. No way I would invest in HD or blue-ray after what I sawg{<.<}g

• rythex

uhh ok, that standard definition stuff must be amazing to be better than 1920×1080 <roll eyes> “but its upscaled!”

• SPOOFE

Whoever said “better”? He said his DVD looked gorgeous. If it looks good to someone, why should they bother?

• tesla120

ooh Snap….

• Vrock

I thought DVD looked great too until I saw HD-DVD and Blu-ray.

• indeego

Guess I’m an old fogey thog{<.<}g In fact on both standard and HD the "pixel edges" of cartoonish shows like ratatouille came through and were quite distracting. The show I watched was hairspray. I also watched Jeopardy in HD on same set and again, little differenceg{<.<}g

• Vrock

Pixel edges? Not sure what you’re talking about.

• SPOOFE

I saw HD-DVD and Blu-Ray and thought they look great, too. But then I look at a DVD and think that looks great as well. To my eyes – and to a lot of others, I’m presuming – the extra resolution or more vibrant color or blah-blah-blah just isn’t a major improvement on the overall aesthetic experience.

Which is not to say I’m against hi-def formats; I just don’t consider it worth my money spent at the moment.

• kaikara

Compare it side by side. HD content looks way better. The bigger the TV the worse the upscaled DVD is going to look too.

• PerfectCr

480p upscaled is still 480p. There is no PQ comparison. Blu-ray picture quality is infinitely superior to upscaled DVD.

• JustAnEngineer

No, it’s not infinitely superior. Most of the time, it’s only about 7 times as good. +600% is still phenomenal when you’re looking at the image.

• Vrock

Yeah, I wish people would stop with the “ZOMG, upscaled DVD is just as good”. Upscaling can’t add detail, all it does is scale the 720×480 image to a 1920×1080 screen. It’s a necessary evil, not a bonus feature.

• indeego

Upscaled DVD is as good for my needs.

I’ll repeat it as much as you wish it awayg{<.<}g

• Vrock

That’s fine. I don’t have a problem with people who think DVD is good enough. My problem is with people who say that DVD looks as good as HD. They’re either blind or lying to themselves.

• Austin

l[<;o)<]l It's surprising how many people say it too. Even the lower spec HD (720P) has around 3 times the number of pixels of a DVD ... surely people can see the difference between a photograph taken at 800x600 (0.4MP) vs 1280x960 (1.3MP) ... same with a movie only now it's in motion!

• Scorpiuscat

MS is doing this to clear out thier HD-DVD inventory because HD-DVD has lost the war.

Anyone who buys one now is not to bright.

• UberGerbil

Or anticipates being able to build a library for very little money. I know a guy who bought a laserdisk player once that format was obviously doomed — he was able to get a lot of classic movies very, very cheap.

• Vrock

Laserdisc has never been cheap. Even now, quality players run you north of $200 on ebay, and discs that haven’t been released on DVD fetch about half that. Yeah, you can get common titles for a song, but why would you want to when DVDs are so cheap nowadays?

• insulin_junkie72

In its dying days, there were quite a few closeout sales, as I recall.

As time passed after that, then prices started their upward climb.

• UberGerbil

Yeah, I think he hit the nadir. I don’t know the details, I just recall him being pretty jazzed by the deal he got.

• ludi

“Cheap” compared to the alternatives, at the time.

Kind of like how the N64 fell off the premier list…but even now, with far superior hardware available, the price of a console is climbing in the game stores and on eBay, with popular cartridges (Bond 007, MarioKart64, Super Smash Brothers, etc.) sometimes fetching more in real dollars than they did when new.

• Vrock

Yeah, but now you can buy a Wii and get the games on virtual console. 🙂

• JustAnEngineer

I would be the guy who bought about 20 LaserDiscs at $5 each when my local video rental store quit carrying them. I’m also the guy who paid $150 for the boxed Star Wars trilogy collectors edition, too. That guy’s a nut, isn’t he?

• green

which is probably 90%+ of the population
      who are also unlikely aware of the how many movie studios have sided with blu-ray vs hd-dvd or what studios signing with a side even means

• Usacomp2k3

Yeah. The movies still look excellent. Even using it for renting from Movie Gallery or something like that is well worth it.

• wykd

Who would get an HDDVD player at this point?

• Lord.Blue

Someone who wants a cheap(in price) player for hi-def movies on their new HDTV?

• Vrock

Investing in a dead format is kind of pointless. Unless you just have to have Paramount and Universal movies in HD, why bother? If you’re dropping serious coin on a new HDTV, you might as well spend a couple hundred more and get an HD player you’ll be able to buy software for next year.

• BiffStroganoffsky

But, if you still don’t want to pay the BD price for a new movie and still have a extensive DVD collection that can benefit from the upscaling in an HD unit which costs the same as a decent DVD player, why not?

• DASQ

That might be the reason behind the price cuts.

• ssidbroadcast