Poll: What is today’s best-looking PC game?

We’re resurrecting our poll today with a question that folks who frequently game on the PC probably ask themselves every so often: just what is the best-looking PC game out today? Consoles have their fair share of nice-looking games, but the PC’s extra graphics horsepower allows for titles that push the envelope a little more—Crysis comes to mind, although it’s certainly not been the only one.

So, without further ado, what do you think is the best-looking PC title out today? You may consider artistic/aesthetic quality, raw technological achievement, or both to make a game worthy of the title, which is why we’ve included both Crysis and Team Fortress 2 along with others who have a more balanced mix of art and PC-straining rendering capabilities. Feel free to vote for your game of choice either in the poll below or on the front page.

• VILLAIN_xx

crysis.. the best looking game in slide show.

:oP

• crazybus

What about Clive Barker’s Jericho? That game had some pretty good graphics curtesy of the Unreal 3 engine.

• aleckermit

If you have the ability to play Crysis at max settings at a high resolution, it’ll blow your brains out of your skull. At medium it amazes me!

• flip-mode

The most recent game I’ve played is Quake 4. It looked OK. I thought FEAR looked better. There are a few of these games I’d like to try when I finish school but I’m going to have to make a decision between a PS3 that’ll be “current hardware” for another 3-4 years and will play Blue Ray or a video card that’ll be choking on pixels a year from now, or perhaps even from day one in the case of Crysis. Yeah, there will be no more PC gaming for me I’m guessing.

• Meadows

I would advise you to invest in an affordable GeForce 9 thing once they’re out.

• aleckermit

Geforce 9 thing ftw.

• indeego

Nvidia should buck all model naming conventions and went to naming them /[

• flip-mode

Na, I’d be greatly remiss to repeat the experience of my Geforce 7 thing – a thing that I bought, played one game with, and that’s all. I don’t like the isolation of PC gaming. I’d rather fire up a PS3 and kick my wife’s ass in some non-literal way.

• Kurotetsu

Why are so many people basing their decision on PC vs. Console on whether they can play Crysis or not? I never got the impression that the game was so incredibly influential that not being able to play it turns you off to PC gaming altogether.

• flip-mode

That’s definitely not the basis of my decision.

• wulfher

Crysis gave me a shiver in the Forrest Scenes

• Silus

Crysis is the obvious choice. Nothing even comes close in terms of graphics fidelity and almost photo-realism.

• Krogoth

Heh, I don’t see what the hype is behind Crysis. It is still a long, long way from being photo-realistic. Any of the theses games are getting closer though.

The lighting and watering effects in Crysis were great and were slightly better then what UT3 engine can do. The textures, animations and models on the hand were weak. The lame art direction of rehashing a lot of Far Cry’s content killed the experience for me.

• Jigar

Gears of Wars …

• ReAp3r-G

i actually picked UT3…love UT3 on the PC ^-^

• enzia35

Best-looking that I’ve played out of the list: Crysis.

• last_prophet

i think COD 4 it’z a preety cool game that i eva’ play…..best looking and best sound..and playable for mainstream graphic card.

• herothezero

Bioshock looked nice, but the gameplay sucked…talk about console gaming on the PC. Respawning, gamepad aiming…all that crap should have been left on the consoles.

Crysis simply looks and plays great on an 8800GTX. Here’s to hoping we get a Vietnam LRRP-simulation mod out of it.

I liked the gritty feel of STALKER, too, much more so than the plastic sheen of Bioshock.

• FubbHead

Aye, I agree.. Few games I’ve seen, ever, has done the nitty-gritty as well as STALKER.

• nstuff

Bioshock surprised me how bad it looked when you got up close to anything. The atmosphere is very cool and awesome to look at. But when you kill someone and walk up to look at them, the texture for their face and body was pretty poor quality and didn’t hold up at all.

Crysis has some of the most amazing water i’ve ever seen in any game.

• cegras

.. me too, ditto, etc. : D

• clone

the problem with this poll is that it’s got nothing to do with a game’s quality just it’s looks.

hooray Crysis looks great….. and ……. well that’s it.

it’s plays ok and looks great the AI was weak, the story uninpsired and can we all say FarCry 2.0.

the vehicles were just as clunky and it’s short.

I’ve been playing Bioshock after having finnished Half Life 2 episode 2 and I’ve got to be honest BioShock rules, morality, story, originality, creativity on so many levels BioShock is just plain fun.

it was getting a little repetitive until I went to the theatre level and am hunting the 3 guys to fill Sanders masterpiece but even then the new twist really adds to the game.

Half Life 2 orange box, replayed all of the Half Life 2 series before playing Episode 2 then played Team Fortress 2 for a month…. loved it

BioShock enjoy the story, enjoy exploring, enjoy the morality conflict of it… have restarted the game twice to go in different directions both times well past the 2nd level and the ultimate compliment is that I’m in no hurry to finnish it just want to keep playing it.

Crysis… very pretty and forgot about it once finished save to criticize it on every level.

• willyolio

not every single game comparison has to be about overall quality. this is a question about looks. most people agree that crysis looks best. what’s your point?

• indeego

Hate to break it but the theater level is the last “fun” levelg{<.<}g

• d0g_p00p

I think Team Fortress 2 and Call of Duty 4 personally. I voted for TF2 though. I love the art and the whole style of the game.

• fpsduck

Tron 2.0 and Alice.

I haven’t played any games in the poll yet.
    Poor me.

• bdwilcox

Dated it may be, but American McGee’s Alice still has the best “look” in my opinion.

• BobbinThreadbare

If we’re going to go old school, the 1990 Lucas Arts game Loom, had one of the best looks to it I’ve ever seen. They almost made the limited colors of EGA into a advantage. Each “scene” has a color theme, and it all works very well.

• tsoulier

Call of Duty 4 is about the best game I have ever seen

• marvelous

Crysis sure if you can afford the hardware to run highest settings. COD4 is the next best thing since you can run with a mainstream card with much better graphics than Crysis can run with a mainstream card.

COD4 > Crysis @ medium

• MattMojo

Crysis by far the best looking game — and one of the most fun stealthy style games I’ve played in a long time.

Mojo

• DrDillyBar

Other. I mostly play Hellgate London.
    Edit: It looks good in Dx10. Other games feel overly done to me.

• Krogoth

I say UT3 takes the cake for combination of best art direction, good performance.

Crysis’s engine has more potential but the art direction wasn’t stellar and the steep performance hit didn’t help either. Crysis graphics are about equal to UT3 with much crapper framerate.

Bioshock is almost as good as UT3 since they are both on the same engine. IMHO, the textures and models were far too glossy for deco art style that it tried to depict.

• indeego

Bioshock: Art Design.
    Crysis: Overall Graphics.
    Call of Duty 4g{<:<}g Environment/Ambiance/Effects.

• SNM

Crysis. I’ve only played the demo, but there’s no question in my mind: it has the best shaders and texturing, and the best dynamic effects I’ve ever seen: crabs scurrying across the beach, plants bending as you move through them; it’s just beautiful all the way through.
    CoD4 is certainly amazing, though, and is much easier on the computer — it’s probably second in my mind. Bioshock looks good, but things look too plastic-y and such.

• alex666

I don’t play that many games, but I’ve also got the Crysis demo, running on a pretty decent system with an 8800GT plugged into a 47″ LG HDTV, and it just looks awesome. Amazing graphics, best I’ve ever seen, but I haven’t tried out many of these other games, so it’s hard to judge.

• pikaporeon

Team Fortress 2.

• Ethyriel

ditto

• Zhaine

And ditto mark 2.

Crysis, UT, CoD 4 (eugh) et al can keep their fancy shaders and effects and “realistic” look. . . TF2 has actual art direction and innovation in visual style (as does Bioshock but the fact that AA isn’t an ingame option is pretty criminal).

• Ethyriel

As a second choice, I’d have to give a second, or third, or whatever to Alice. I can’t believe I forgot about that masterpiece. But it’s the same deal as TF2, there’s an artistic flare that’s been missing from shooters lately. I suppose that’s why I find myself spending more and more time with RPG’s.

I wish McGee would go back to his Oz concept. Or hell, any concept at all.

• slavik6

I voted for crysis, but oblivion is prettier than stalker.

• lethal

Not to mention the load of mods that make the game even prettier… but crysis would still win the poll by a landslide, and with good reason. The game is a very, very pretty at very high, but while most people would have to settle for a slideshow, they could likely be /[

• mjallan123

Stalker has mods too. I think slalker is better than oblivion. It is more nitty gritty.

• Ihmemies

I’d vote for World of Warcraft. No amount of chrome, fancy effects or newest Directx gimmicks are going to make the game look beautiful, if the graphic design is generic and uninspiring 😐

• boing