AMD to cut Radeon HD 3850, 3650 prices next month

Just ahead of the launch of Nvidia’s new GeForce 9600 GT, we saw that AMD had trimmed the price of its Radeon HD 3800-series graphics cards. The Radeon HD 3870 became available for well under $200, and the 3850 could be found at $160 or so. Well, if a report by VR-Zone is correct, we may see more AMD graphics card price cuts in the near future.

The Singapore-based site reports that AMD intends to reduce the prices of its Radeon HD 3850 and Radeon HD 3650 graphics cards in early March. These cuts will cause prices to drop by as much as 20%, VR-Zone says, which would take the 3850 from $160 to as little as $130 and the 3650 further under the $100 mark. Right now, 3650 cards can be had for as little as $80. Further Radeon HD 3870 price cuts are also planned, the site adds, although they reportedly won’t be “too substantial.” Right now, the GeForce 9600 GT and Radeon HD 3870 are close to parity in terms of pricing, although the 3870 cards are a little more expensive.

• l33t-g4m3r

Anybody besides me notice that the previous price cuts that brought the 3870 down to 200 went back up to 220+?
    Yay, it’ll go back to 200 again.

I think some e-tailers are abusing the cuts and price gouging.

• Pettytheft

Demand. People are still gobbling up 3870’s otherwise I doubt they would be price gouging.

• l33t-g4m3r

damn, I was hoping to eventually get one for 150. 🙁

• charged3800z24

Ya.. I noticed.. I bought the Diamond on new egg this week and it was 220. It now is 199. ONly one day later. I should have waited lol. But still 220 wasn’t bad I have it overclocked 930 on the core and 2500 effective on the Mem. And the Fan is quieter then My 2900 pro even when cranked up to 100% when doing benchies. I almost hit 12000 on 3dmark06. I am wondering how the new series will perform…?

• matnath1

I almost bought that HD 3650 a few days ago but the AMD site says it recomends a 400 Watt Power supply. I have been running an 8600 GT with a 300 w PSU with no problems. Why would they think the HD 3650 would require a higher supply when it is more energy efficient than an 8600 GT isn’t it..

The rig in question is my second rig. It’s uses a low energy Celeron 440 @ 1.6 and is very lean (just a CD RW and Hard Drive/ Video Card)….

Anyway, the performance on the 8600 GT 256MB seems to be equal or faster… The 512 MB of Vram is a Waste on these cards aren’t they?

• dragmor

The recommend higher wattage power supplies because of the cheap crap ones that are in most OEM and shop bought PCs.

Your rig should be fine.

• highlandr

Man, I bought my 3850 too soon… Should’ve waited, and I could have an extra $50 in my pocket…

It was my card of choice at the time (price/performance wise), I’m just mad I paid $180 for it…

• flip-mode

There’s nothing to be mad about. That is the way it has always been and the way it will always be. I could be mad about the fact that just a year ago I paid $215 for RAM that I can now get for $45. Or the CPU that I paid $100 for that can now be had for $40.

• marvelous

If 3850 does go down to $130 it would sell like hot cakes.

Straight out of Techreport 9600gt review.

/[<"One could also argue that the 9600 GT's strong performance today may give way to relatively weaker performance down the road. If game developers shift their attention to using more and more complex shaders, the 9600 GT could end up running tomorrow's games slower than the Radeon HD 3850, which clearly has more shader processing power."<]/

• pikaporeon

Just putting it out there, but doesn’t ATI have the single-card performance crown atm?

• Flying Fox

So?

This is the gravy $150-250 market we are talking about, the bread-and-butter of the GPU vendors. As much as we want to drool over the 8800GTS 512, 8800GTX or the 3870 X2, they are in the minority compared to those midrange products.

Edit: oh, I’m sorry. I am guessing that your post is in response to #4?

• Fighterpilot

Well they’ve been selling heaps of the 3850s and the 3870 has sold well too.That’s gotta mean a handsome profit I would think.

• Gerbil Jedidiah

When AMD was getting ready to release the 3870 they were hoping to retail it in the mid to high 200 range, then nVidia came out with the 8800GT and spoiled their pricing strategy. Luckily the 8800GT was in low supply so AMD was able to make a decent profit the first couple of months in spite of the 8800GT. Now nVidia is hitting them again with the 9600GT, forcing AMD to take its videocards further downmarket.

It’s good for the end user, granted, but I hope AMD pulls a rabbit out of its hat and gets back into the high end game. They could use some decent profit right now.

Good for the short term. I worry about long term though.

• zgirl

Heaps huh? Got any hard factual based numbers to support this claim? I don’t seem to be able to find any posted numbers anywhere. And I’ve heard far more talk about people buying 8800s the 3800s.

• Gerbil Jedidiah

It seems like AMD just can’t catch a break. Intel is smacking them around on the CPU side and nVidia is smacking them around on the videocard side. How are they supposed to make a profit?

Here’s a novel idea: make something worth buying at the price they want to sell it at.

• Vrock

Come on, this is AMD we’re talking about here. They’ve only been able to do that twice in the last 10 years.

• flip-mode

What are you goons talking about? The 3850 has always been worth buying IMO. Only with last week’s 9600GT launch did the value of the 3850 get called into question. With a price drop it’ll be a very good value once again.

• Flying Fox

Yes, basically they are forced to lower prices, meaning less profits. That’s what the OP was about.

• Flying Fox

How do you know they are not making any profits from those GPUs even at reduced prices?

• Vrock

If they are, it damn sure isn’t enough to bring the rest of company into the black.

• Flying Fox

Of course it’s not enough. GPU is lower margin compared to CPU AFAICT.

• Gerbil Jedidiah

I don’t know what AMD’s profit margin looks like, but I do know that the most profit is made when you have the leading edge tech for sale. The early adopters always pay through the nose. AMD has had very few leading edge products since mid 2006. The 3870×2 is the only product I can think of. Intel and nVidia are raking in the early adopter cash, which makes it increasingly difficult for AMD to catch up.

I’m not a fanboy. I’ve got nVidia and Intel in my current rig. I just want to see AMD succed and keep the market moving.

• Flying Fox

Actually, no. Halo products may have high margins but they have low volume.

The biggest profits are made in the mainstream and even low end segments (they are selling a lot more chips there).

• Jigar

3850 @ 130 … hhmm.. might consider it for my wife PC now…