Windows Vista Service Pack 1 hits Windows Update

Confirming reports that arose yesterday, Microsoft has made its first service pack for Windows Vista publicly available. The pack can be found on Windows Update right now, and folks can download it from Microsoft’s download center in both 32-bit and 64-bit flavors. The 32-bit version is a 434.5MB download, while the 64-bit version is a heftier 726.5MB. However, Microsoft recommends that end users get the service pack through Windows Update, which it says will cut the download size to “about 65MB.”

A detailed list of the changes and fixes introduced in SP1 can be viewed on this page. Notable changes include the addition of support for DirectX 10.1, the Extensible Firmware Interface, and the exFAT flash storage format; greater reliability, namely in applications like the Windows Calendar, Windows Media Player, and bundled drivers; performance improvements with tasks like file copies and file deletions, SuperFetch, and ReadyBoost; lower power utilization; and general enhancements like a reduced frequency of User Access Control prompts in some instances.

A word of warning, though. Some device drivers cause problems with SP1, which is widely said to be the reason Microsoft postponed the service pack’s release last month. According to Microsoft, users with problematic drivers won’t be offered the update through Windows Update, and neither will those running versions of Vista that aren’t in English, French, Spanish, German, or Japanese (releases in other languages aren’t available yet). SP1 will only be pushed through Automatic Updates in the middle of next month, as well.

• d0g_p00p

Strange, I cannot find the update on Windows Update either on my home install of Ultimate or at work using Business.

Nevermind I figured it out. After hitting windows update about a million times, it finally came up. Even though my system said it was up to date and no new updates.

• anand

I had a pretty significant boost in copying files from my Linux Samba box to my Vista laptop over a G wireless connection. The best I could get before SP1 was about 1.8 MB/s and after installing SP1, I was seeing around 2.5 MB/s, so the 45% improvement is pretty spot on in my case.

I left for work right after doing that test (since that was my primary complaint about Vista and my most anticipated fix in SP1) so I haven’t had a chance to see if anything else is better or worse. The update went smoothly though. I’d say around 30 minutes or so.

• herothezero

I presume the reason some installations are running up to an hour has to do with hotfixes applied normally via Windows Update?

I ran the full 434.5MB package and including two reboots it took all of 15 minutes.

• Taddeusz

Windows Update installed SP1 on my Vista x64 and took all of like 20-30min. I don’t know an exact time because I wasn’t sitting in front of it the whole time. I expected it to take a long time so I went and started watching a movie. I know I went and checked on it 30min later and it was finished and rebooted to my desktop.

• Shinare

C2D @ 3.2GHz 2GB DDR2-800 CAS4 on a P35-DS3R with 8800GTX and up-to-date automatic updates and it took me well over an hour. *shrug* I also notice little difference as I was having no issues before with the exception that now sleep mode actually works (it used to not power off, and would never wake back up requireing holding the power button in for 10 sec to completely power off), and is very fast in and out of sleep. (like 5 sec)

• Ryu Connor

Confirming that Vista SP1’s new feature – Cure Cancer – does in fact work.

It’s under Administrative Tools.

I’m being told that MS marketing intends to ship XP SP3 with the feature – Inflict Cancer.

It’s set to autorun from HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

I expect Vista sales to increase dramatically upon release.

• indeego

Cancer was cured a long time ago. XP SP3 RC is far better than Vista SP1g{<.<}g 🙁

• SGT Lindy

It may indeed cure cancer, but it was the BLACK PLAUGE, so curing cancer is like treating a symptom. You still die.

• Pax-UX

I got me a new laptop yesterday from Dell, a 2.5Ghz 3GB of RAM and it took over 60 minutes and 3 reboots to fully install the patch! This one is more then your average ‘get a cup of coffee’ fix. That said Vista runs nicely on a 2.5Ghz Laptop with a 8600M GT.

• indeego

Slow HDD. t’whyg{<.<}g

• thecoldanddarkone

I know my t61p installed sp alot faster than I expected. I just bought a seagate 120 gig 7200 rpm hard drive for it and I can say that I can’t tell a huge difference between my desktop and my laptop. I used the full backup feature to put it on a spare and then moved my install to the new drive.

• provoko

Thanks for the links TR.

• YeuEmMaiMai

install slated for tomorrow for both PCs 😛

• Vaughn

Also running this for few weeks now its good.

• DrDillyBar

So far the only “problem” I’ve noticed with SP1 is it maxed out my volume. 5 second fix.

• DancingWind

Strange … i did a clean install then a standalone SP1 RTM version (which I found on the net 😀 anctious me 😀 ) after a couple of days it was announced of being completed.
    No problem and no changes exept Vista boots and shutdowns faster.
    the standart Vsita search field is still in start menu, dxdiag still says dx 10 version, but the build is 6001 sp1 ( i checked even in the registry it mached with the supposed RTM build number) .. is this normal? Search bar should have been removed from Start to allow 3rd part software or smth and dx10.1 should be writen in dxdiag.

• ReAp3r-G

i don’t think you should worry about DX10.1, if you have the hardware that has DX10.1 then it will say it

the update is to *allow* DX10.1 to be supported by Vista if i’m not mistaken

about the search bar, i’m really not sure but i think the above should shed some light 🙂

• alsoRun

I also have the serach button intact.

• alsoRun

My! It now goes to sleep and wakes up lighting fast.

• DancingWind

well the problem is not the .1 part but the SP1 part . .is it real or did I install some sort of fake version … the boot and shutdow speed increaced as promice but .. I dont see other so called sp1 ‘features’ like dx and search. Noyt that i ‘m complaining 😀 Vista runs very good the only gripes I have is with x-fi card .. the latest gig is BSOD on me for 3 times in 2 days … (once for no good reason – tracked down to a creative sys file, 2nd happened when I was updating x-fi drivers 😀 figured that should fix it :D, the 3rd was the next morning when I pulled the headphone plug from front panel 😀 its been 1.5 days since then :D)

the start search stays, the search link goes away.

• ReAp3r-G

ah so that’s it eh? no wonder i felt my start menu was a bit “lighter”

• insulin_junkie72

And if you really missed the start menu search link, you can still use F3 to bring up the search screen anyways.

OK, now it’s not speculation anymore. :p

I’ll get this going before I leave home this evening, and hopefully it’ll be done when I get home.

• JustAnEngineer

I’m now downloading 121.5 MB at what seems a slow pace.

• SpotTheCat

Well, hopefully it will fix some of the things that I’ve hated about vista. The blinking after log in, the loss of some manual controls on my laptop, etc.

• Logdan

The “blinking” when logging in is a known issue with nVidia video cards on some laptop models. A driver update from nVidia is needed to fix this.

• Contingency

No update for me. Guess the 680i/8800 config isn’t common enough to have driver support. :/

• l33t-g4m3r

I need to slipstream this, is the basic process any different from XP?

• moshpit

Been running SP1 for some time now. Solid as a rock. General performance is good so far. No complaints here 😀

• kaikara

I agree with you. Been running for about a month on my primary system and laptop for a month now. Most of my main issues with Vista have been resolved although I never had any major issues with Vista to begin with.

• Stijn

I don’t understand why the difference in size between the stand-alone and the windows update version is so large?

• Cyril

I would assume it’s because the standalone version includes all patches released prior to SP1, whereas the Windows Update version only includes new stuff.

• UberGerbil

There can be language resource differences as well (if the download version includes multiple languages and the update version does not).

• Vrock

Dang, I was hoping SP3 for Windows XP would beat it out the door. 🙂

• zimpdagreene

Yea me too.

• chone

hooray????

• alsoRun

I just downloaded and installed. Everything went smoothly: I did over the lunch break.

I do not notice any difference since I did not have any problem before SP 1.