Dell to resurrect its handheld business

Although it dabbled in portable music players and personal digital assistants at one point, Dell has since given up on those markets, preferring instead to focus on its strengths—PCs, servers, and peripherals. However, a story by DigiTimes suggests the company could soon resurrect its handheld business.

DigiTimes quotes Taiwanese sources as saying Dell is likely to team up with Foxconn Electronics to produce Windows Mobile-based handheld devices like smart phones and GPS PDAs. The move could be a response to Acer’s buyout of Taiwan-based smart phone manufacturer E-Ten Information Systems, DigiTimes adds. Right now, Acer is the number three PC vendor on the global scale behind Dell and HP, so such a reaction might make sense.

As further evidence of Dell’s aspirations, DigiTimes mentions that Dell hired former Motorola Executive VP Ron Garriques early last year and has been “reorganizing its team for handheld devices” ever since. The Texan PC vendor also discontinued its last PDA, the Axim X51, in April 2007. In preparation for an order from Dell, Foxconn is said to be doing some hiring too—this time from fellow Taiwanese handset manufacturers.

• Perezoso

I was expecting the resurrection of the Dell DJ Ditty.

§[< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyZJl3hc6hw<]§ /shudders

• DrDillyBar

If they resurrect this line of products, I hope they fix the problems they had with the original Axim, namely the fact that they couldn’t be repaired really, and were eating a huge expense shipping out replacements.

• emi25

Google Android plus nvidia plus GPS = killer

Edit: plus WiFi and Skype.
    2-3 megapixel camera, microSD card, and access from the WiFi network, like a NAS.

• Pax-UX

Yeap this has got be phone based after Dell saw the iPhone in action… “Easy money, easily copyed”. Normal PDAs are at an end with things like the Eee pc

• titan

My dad will be very happy if they bring back their PDA line up.

• Ricardo Dawkins

Zune 80 going strong here….we dont need a -[

• PRIME1

I was looking for something with more substance than an iPod.

Also something that won’t cost and arm, leg and kidney.

• MattMojo

My Axim x51v is still a very used device in my arsenal (when I am out and about) —- now if they tie this bad boy with built-in cell phone/evdo abilities I will buy one for sure.

Dell Axims have been based on Intel processors in the past — it will be interesting to see if they go with something like the Atom or nVidia’s offering. ether way it must have 3D abilities if it is to keep pace with Apple and for me to jump off of my Samsung I760.

Mojo

• PRIME1

I really like my Axim. So I look forward to what they put out next. Hopefully a Zune killer.

• jinjuku

Way to aim high, a Zune killer. I guess the iPod is out of reach…