Lenovo’s Ideapad U8 filmed in action

The people over at Engadget have unearthed a video of Lenovo’s Ideapad U8 in action, shedding a little more light on the upcoming Atom-based mobile Internet device. The lady showing off the U8 in the video is speaking Mandarin, but the UI is in English, and the eye candy needs no translation:

Lenovo first unveiled the IdeaPad U8 last week as the Intel Developer Forum rolled on in Shanghai, showing an official video of the device that mentioned features like a 4.8″ touch screen, 3G and EDGE network support, an integrated GPS, and software for office productivity as well as photo and video browsing.

According to Engadget, the new video suggests the device will be available with 4GB, 6GB, and 10GB solid-state drives, and that it won’t support WiMax connectivity. Seeing the device next to a human hand also gives a decent idea of its footprint. However, there’s still no official (or unofficial) word on when the U8 might become available or whether Lenovo plans to introduce it in the United States.

• floodo1

hahah gamegear hahahhah

anyway, like they discussed on the podcast this form factor seems to be just plain wierd. lets look at the possible situations.

most guys dont have purses, so if you’re carrying something around it either needs to fit in your pocket, fit on your hip, or fit in your bag. The pocket and hip both will hold something about the size of current phones (maybe a bit bigger than the iphone). Your bag will probably hold a full size laptop (15″ or if not DEF a 13″). None of these places seems very viable for a UMPC or MID.
    Women on the other hand are in the perfect situation. They typically DO have purses or full size bags. Just like with guys, full size bags can carry full size laptops, but the purse is the perfect size for UMPC/MID’s.

But as a guy I have to say that I really have NO use for a device thats mid-way in size between my phone and my laptop. Where am i supposed to put it? in the bag that I could just put my laptop in?

Really, in the male market it seems like UMPC/MID’s are trying to appeal to people that could have a laptop but don’t. Whether it’s for price or weight reasons, or something else. I think in this segment the UMPC is going to get a strong challenge in current/upcoming mini laptops. Why go for a 4-5″ screen on a MID when I can go for a 7-8″ screen on a laptop with normal input (keyboard / touchpad).

So, while I love the idea of a mid-size device, it really doesnt seem practical for the vast majority of people.

• nonegatives

Time for a man-purse! It’s still small enough to be operated while standing up, try doing anything with a laptop balanced on one arm.

• ssidbroadcast

It looks like the size of a Gamegear. Anyone remember those?

• henfactor

Not the type of device I’d like to carry in my back pocket… still I’m glad it exists because it means one day (hopefully soon) I’ll be able to use such a device just like my PC, (when they get more powerful), which is pretty cool.

• Lord.Blue

looks like someone really liked the PSP.

• Dposcorp

This video shows the Quake 3 video on it, like the ipod.
    §[< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_moia-oVI<]§

• BoBzeBuilder

Awsome. But can it run Crysis at UltraHigh with 8xAA at 250fps?

• Dposcorp

Who knows? Q3 ran better on it then on the Ipod.

• krazyredboy

Good grief…

• jobodaho

You SOB, good job…

• Usacomp2k3

I take it you are still in High School? 🙄

• El_Angelo

looks quite unresponsive

• ReAp3r-G

probably just a demo unit and it’s not the finished product either…

hopefully they’ll iron out that sluggish responsiveness

• gat0rjay

#1, Definitely looks slow… I wish these new devices would offer some sorta “Best Performance” option akin to Windows. I don’t care if the screens glide and fade into one another… It actually annoys me. I just want the next screen to be redrawn as fast as possible without lag (whether it be hardware lag, or stupid default “eye/candy” software lag)