Abit intros GeForce 8200-based AMD motherboard

After MSI’s seven-motherboard AMD 780-series chipset assault, Abit is retaliating with a single mobo based on the competing GeForce 8200 chipset from Nvidia. Dubbed the A-N78HD, the new motherboard combines full Socket AM2+ support for Phenom processors with an integrated DirectX 10-class Nvidia “motherboard GPU” that boasts high-definition video decoding capabilities.

Physically, the A-N78HD is based on the Micro-ATX form factor, so its expansion is limited to one PCI Express x16 slot, one PCIe x1 slot, and two PCI slots. Nonetheless, the mobo has four DDR2-1066 memory slots, six 300MB/s Serial ATA connectors with RAID 0/1/0+1/5 and JBOD support, one IDE connector, and one floppy connector. On the rear I/O hub, you’ll find HDMI, DVI, and VGA display ports as well as FireWire and Gigabit Ethernet ports. Abit has even implemented four-phase pulse width modulation for the processor power delivery circuit, which it says allows greater overclocking potential.

Because it’s based on the GeForce 8200 chipset, the A-N78HD also supports Hybrid SLI functionality. According to Abit, the new board supports both GeForce Boost and Hybrid Power technologies—the former allowing a mainstream discrete GPU to be paired with the IGP for higher performance, with the latter allowing users to save power by plugging their display into the integrated graphics port and tapping into a compatible discrete graphics card as needed.

• smilingcrow

Anandtech has a mini review of the GF8200 v 780G v G35 looking at power consumption at idle and playing HD video formats. The GF8200 comes on top but the G35 power data is skewed completely!

Combined with the forthcoming 9800 GT which supports HybridPower you could build a HTPC box that idled at under 40W and still has the graphics power to run games on your 1080P TV. That sounds a great combo for a versatile HTPC/Games box for the lounge.
    §[< http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3288<]§

• pogsnet
    • danazar

Now all I need is an mATX-sized case designed to take a massive heatpipe cooler, so I can have a compact low-noise machine for my living room.

• stdRaichu

Silverstone NT06 fanless cooler, 120mm PSU in a Silverstone SUDO SG0x case. Damn near inaudible from more than about a foot away. I use one for my HTPC with all the case fans disabled – AMD 3200 + nVidia integrated graphics + laptop hard drive means I don’t generate enough heat to merit anything other than the PSU.

• ssidbroadcast

Wow 4 RAM slots on an mATX. 1066 DDR2, as well. That’s a very compelling package.

Also, would pairing a 9600GT with 8200 IGP in Hybrid SLi be too much performance-disparity?

• lex-ington

The Giga-byte 680G board has 4 RAM slots and take up to 16GB of memory, so does their 780G board.

• Kurotetsu

I really like how mATX boards are becoming more fully featured. 6 SATA, Firewire, and 4 USB headers means this board has more storage and peripheral options than the DS3L at only a fraction of the size. Might’ve been nice if they’d ditched 1 PCI and added another PCIe x1 slot though…

• Anonymous Coward

Seems to me that standard ATX is pretty silly these days. Not much point except for the pursuit of multiple video card setups.

• enzia35

I prefer the blue color of the NF-M2 motherboard they released a long time ago. I like the placement of the pcie 1x slot though, mine’s covered up by my video card.

• UberGerbil

I smell a HTPC-oriented multi-motherboard roundup in TR’s near future. (At least, I hope that’s what I smell).

• dermutti

I’d also love to see an HTPC focused article/review on these new IGPs. (well, maybe the new ATI/Nvidia IGPs at least. The G35 info in the 780G review was amusing, but not really relevant) With more and more media being played through my computer (my tv isn’t even plugged in), having a separate computer for it only makes sense.

• Gerbil Jedidiah

Yes HTPC roundup and buildout guide please!

• Vrock

My HTPC is called “Playstation 3.”

• UberGerbil

If I ever actually owned a game console I wouldn’t consider anything other than a Wii. But since my last console was an Atari 2600 in 1979, I’m clearly not in any particular hurry.

• Vrock

Heh, I grew up on Atari 2600. Recently I bought an Atari Flashback 2. Asteroids is still fun, and Yar’s Revenge still challenging.

While I realize that the PS3 doesn’t do everything that a custom built HTPC can do, IMO it’s a fine choice for $400-$500. CD, SACD (on some models), media streaming, Divx and WMV support, MP3/AAC, plays back .ts files, surfs the web, and it also plays games. If Sony would release a TV capture dongle, it’d be near perfect.

• Flying Fox

PS3 still doesn’t do reading files over SMB right?

And then there’s format (codec) support…

• mongoosesRawesome

And what about TV capture?

• albundy

aheeet, thats what i’m talkin about. for 400 bucks, i get pretty much everything i need.

• ssidbroadcast

No, I just farted.

• bthylafh

Why do your farts smell like electronics?

• UberGerbil

Because he’s clearly a Wireless Access Point and not an organic being.

However, my experience with electronics that fart is that there’s usually a puff of smoke and they’re dead afterwards.

• Jigar

Are u talking about the blue smoke .. Is that called fart ? 😉

• cegras

Looks good. Are those iron core chokes? They look different from the ones the all the other mobo manufacturers use.

Personally I could even do with mATX, as I am unlikely to go down the path of sli or crossfirex.