WinXP SP3 goes gold, upgrade process deemed ‘painless’

The third service pack for Windows XP has hit “release to manufacturing” status, according to News.com. Those versed in software development jargon will know the RTM label implies Microsoft has completed testing and finalized the code for the service pack, and that a release to end users will follow shortly. In fact, News.com quotes April 29 as the day SP3 will be publicly available to download, confirming rumors that leaked out last week.

When SP3 finally hits Microsoft’s public distribution avenues, News.com says installing the update will be a “quick, painless” affair for the majority of users. Vista’s Service Pack 1 was also a painless update for many, but it was nonetheless postponed because of driver compatibility issues, and a few users ran into endless reboot loops and other miscellaneous problems.

A PDF file containing a complete list of the changes and new features in Windows XP SP3 can be grabbed from Microsoft’s Download Center. According to the document, SP3 will bring the usual slew of security, stability, and performance improvements as well as new features like Network Access Protection, Microsoft’s Kernel Mode Cryptographic Module, and a revamped product activation system.

• bthylafh

Obligatory fanboyism.

• lucas1985

#46,
    Every OS of the NT family installed in a NTFS-formated partition can be considered “secure” if you know how to use and secure a system properly and I’m not talking about 3rd-party apps.
    Sure, Vista is more secure by default thanks to the standard user account/UAC, ASLR (the only security feature missing in XP), Windows Defender and other things. The same features are available in XP if you know what you’re doing.
    However, any “secure” system can be pwned if you install crap like Adobe’s Flash as a recent hacker contest proved.

• Ryu Connor

q[

• Vrock

I was just responding to his exaggeration in like kind. If XP is a wheelchair ridden grandmother, then Vista is a baby that’s just started to crawl. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Fighterpilot

Bottom line..it’s a bit like Granny getting a new wheelchair,sure she’ll go a bit faster round the Nursing home but she’s still old.

• Vrock

This Grandma runs lighter and faster than MS’s new baby, which consumes vast amounts of resources just to crawl a bit.

• Fighterpilot

lol..seriously V…do you ever “overtask” your PC?
        I have a good system and it sits there idling most of the time anyway.
        What ever people say about Vista,it still feels plenty snappy and has been rock solid since I bought it.Kinda like XP SP2 but..umm..better.

• Vrock

I don’t know what you mean by “overtasking”. Your comment about XP being “old” is pointless, really. It’s still a fast, stable, and secure OS, and SP3 makes it even moreso. Run Vista if you want; I don’t need it.

• barich

XP is neither as fast nor as secure as Vista. The lesser security is, I think, pretty obvious. As far as performance, I am not referring to the difference of a few unnoticeable percentage points in some benchmarks. I am referring to SuperFetch which makes any system with enough RAM feel significantly more responsive than XP. Applications open and respond faster than they ever did on XP, especially after bootup when XP has nothing cached yet, or after closing a memory intensive application when XP leaves most of the OS and any running applications in the pagefile until you click and wait.

• echo_seven

Vista might end up faster on completing tasks, but at the very least its hard to deny that it just feels so slow. Maybe I could have found some desktop setting to fix it, but for me there was always this tiny annoying pause right before you did *anything*, no matter how trivial. After downgrading back to XP (for other reasons), the fact that XP lacks that little pause was immediately noticeable. And some of those animations were so slow, as if Vista was more concerned with showing off than letting you see the window you wanted to see.

• droopy1592

I find this to be a very precise statement

• Usacomp2k3

Precision is useless without accuracy
            </physics professor>

• Fighterpilot

I was referring to your line about Vista using”vast amounts of resources”
            Unless you were “overtasking” what would you be doing with those “vast resources” anyway?

• Vrock

q[< I was referring to your line about Vista using"vast amounts of resources" Unless you were "overtasking" what would you be doing with those "vast resources" anyway? <]q That's a fine argument if you have those resources to spare. Not everyone does. Not everyone wants to spend a couple hundred bucks on hardware and software just so they can run a new operating system at the same speed they run their current one. Especially when new OS doesn't offer much more than the current one does. Windows XP works fine. It's fast. It runs well on my current hardware. It does what I need it to do, and it does it well. Why then should I spend money and time "upgrading"?

• Taddeusz

Then don’t upgrade, of course nobody is putting a gun to your head. But it doesn’t mean the people that choose to upgrade are signing their souls to the devil or something.

It’s not like XP is all of a sudden going to one day stop working out of the blue. But what will happen is that security updates will stop being released for it. Or like what MS did in not making IE7 available for 2k or DX 10 for XP. It’s not like they can support XP indefinitely. It’s doesn’t make economic sense to do so.

• Vrock

q[

• Taddeusz

Like Vista or don’t like Vista. It really doesn’t matter and it doesn’t change the fact that XP is 7 years old and a bit stale technology wise. Certainly there are ways that XP can support new technologies, kind of akin to how 2k indirectly supported wireless by needed a program running to do it. But the underlying platform is rather unchangeable after so many years. It’s like running Windows 3.1 on a computer in 1998. Certainly it would run rings around how it performed years earlier on older hardware but it’s still Windows 3.1.

• Vrock

Windows XP is hardly Windows 3.1, but whatever.

• Taddeusz

Just another analogy.

• Vrock

It sounds like you’re saying that the jump from Windows 3.1 to Win9x was as significant as the jump from Windows XP to Vista. If so, I disagree.

• evermore

3.1 to 95 was far more significant than XP to Vista.

• Vrock

Didn’t I just imply that?

• ludi

Imply, Lisa? Or *[

• Vrock

Oh, so we’re doing the girls’ names thing now? OK. Yes Nancy, imply.

• ludi

Nah, it’s an obscure Simpsons quote. And what’s with the Mister Grumpy-Gus attitude lately? ๐Ÿ˜›

• SecretMaster

If its any consolation I recognized the quote right away and got a good chuckle out of it.

• flip-mode

This entire comment and all of its responses are preempted and negated by comment #3 and all of its responses. Flamers.

• ludi

Obligatory objection to shameless self-promotion.

• cegras

Awesome, revamped product activation system!

• Nitrodist

“SP3 will bring the usual slew of security, stability, and performance improvements”

Which part does the activation updates fall under?

• Forge

Wow, so many folks drinking the FUD kool-aid.

MS’s activation changes in XP are actually a GOOD thing. Basically you can now install XP and run around keyless for a few weeks like Vista does. It’ll continue to accept the same keys XP SP2 does.

Now, sure, if you’re using a widely pirated key, and it was added to the blacklist in SP3, then you’re still boned, but no worries, I have VLKs that haven’t travelled the world just yet. Maybe I’ll share.

If you activated and ran before SP3, you’ll activate and run afterwards. Even better, your XP can run around while you get all your stuff set up with no key at all.

Fewer reactivations due to ‘I finally installed those missing drivers’ == good.

• 0g1

Can I upgrade to XP SP3 from Vista SP1? ๐Ÿ˜›

• mph_Ragnarok

WAIT u NEVER LINKED TO THAT comic about those who type M$ , im waiting

• Forge

SP3 is RTM? Guess it’s time to leak a legit VLK. I’m sure everyone will appreciate it.

• Flying Fox

I am still laughing from this LOL!

• fantastic

You mean I could have waited a week instead of installing 100+ hotfixes and updates? Oh well.

• Sargent Duck

Obligatory remark about cheese….

• Krogoth

Admins everywhere are rejoicing.

• Valhalla926

Time to line up to have our teeth pulled.

• Vrock

Hooray! Now I have an excuse to format C: and start over again.

• wingless

Ooops, I have Win XP Pro x64. My system doesn’t need a service pack because its so much better than your pathetic 32-bit OSes!

LOL, seriously though, this OS never crashes….I’m not kidding around with you when I say this. Its the most stable OS I’ve ever used. Its based on Windows Server 2003 so that makes sense I guess. Its compatible with every program I have, even some old old DOS games (I’m a software pack rat). I highly recommend it if you got an x64 disk included when you bought WinXP.

Screw SP3 and upgrade to x64!

• UberGerbil

Yeah, x64 is/was nice. I ran the /[

• FubbHead

I experience less than stellar behaviour during high disk use, like copying large files between disks, but I dunno if it’s Nvidias or Microsofts fault.

Other than that, yep, it’s superb. But then again, so was the 32-bit variant as far as I could tell. ๐Ÿ™‚

• TheTechReporter

Oh sure, blame everyone else but yourself. ๐Ÿ˜›

Seriously, though, x64 has been around for a long time and there is _still_ no compelling reason to use it. Otherwise, I’m all for it.

• d0g_p00p

Unless you want to use that 8GB of RAM you have installed.

• Peffse

Yea, and then have your programs still only recognize 3GBs max.

• Forge

Yeah, I wonder if MS will be pushing out 2003 SP3/XP64 SP3 soon to keep the versions in sync. It would probably be more like a rollup, though.

• evermore

XP x64 and Server 2003 will not be kept “in sync” with XP 32-bit as far as Service Pack numbers. It’d just be cosmetic, since they’re different codebases, and pointless as most people using XP 32-bit either don’t know anything about x64/2003, or know the difference.

XP x64 will be kept in sync with Server 2003, which means it’s at SP2 now. And most likely XP x64 will only be getting updates and fixes as a side-effect of any work MS does on Server 2003, otherwise I doubt they’re interested in maintaining it even as much as they’re maintaining XP 32-bit.

It’s funny, my company’s clients only starting putting Server 2003 test systems into place within the last 2 years, and have been putting them into production only within the last year. Server 2003, new for 2007. And of course Server 2008 is now available, but we’ve actually already got some of those going into production.

• bthylafh

We’ll see. I had a handful of computers that borked when we pushed out the XP SP2 update a couple years ago. Nothing a repair install couldn’t handle, though.

• flip-mode

Obligatory Vista bash and XP praise comment.

• crazybus

New service pack == slipstream and reinstall.

• sigher

Yeah I’d love to spend 3 weeks per month installing all my applications because I’m not competent enough to keep my system running, but alas.

• prashu

painless?? my a$$

• BobbinThreadbare

Maybe they mean it literally, like installing sp3 won’t cause your computer to kill you while you sleep.

• Shining Arcanine

Perhaps they mean that when it does, you will feel nothing. ๐Ÿ™‚

• bthylafh

My NES tried that once. I woke up with the Zapper’s cord around my neck and the control deck’s cart slot opened right up in my face.

But nobody believed me.