Gadget site gets hands dirty with Psystar Mac clone

We saw photos last month, we saw a brief user video earlier this week, and now Engadget has posted a full hands-on report showing Psystar’s Mac clone in action. The so-called Open Computer is indeed a reality, but how does it compare to actual Macs from Apple?

According to Engadget, Psystar’s product has “some definite rough patches and issues, all mostly having to do with the fact that OS X isn’t really built for this hardware.” Namely, the pre-installed version of Mac OS X 10.5 isn’t Apple’s latest build, at least one of the machine’s fans runs at full blast all the time, the network controller’s DHCP lease “drops every fifteen minutes or so,” and the Apple System Profiler tool doesn’t report information on graphics, memory, and audio hardware.

Still, the Open Computer works (mostly) as advertised, and Engadget ran benchmarks showing it’s almost competitive with a 2.4GHz iMac. In a video that accompanies the hands-on report, Engadget editor Nilay Patel says the Open Computer works just like a Mac “except for the brutal fan noise.”

• d0g_p00p

I don’t think these guys did any research when building these systems. I built a “Hackintosh” about 2 months ago and so far everything works perfect and I have even upgraded from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2. using the Apple updater and my machine is still working. The only issue I have had is that my mic/line in does not work, big deal since I’ll never use that.

I hope these guys have not ruined the osx86 scene by making this so public. In any case I got a nice fast and cheap FC Pro HD machine.

• WillBach

Am I the only one who reads the title of this post as “Gadget site gets hands dirty with *[

• Jon

I recommend glasses over contacts.

• Valhalla926

Anyone want to start a death watch on how long until Apple shuts them down? I just hope this doesn’t screw up stuff too badly for the OSx86 community. I was hoping to build a hackintosh later on.

• Shinare

I love all the fan complaints, as if no one at any one of these “tech” sites knows how to change a fan out of a case.

• Dposcorp

Or add a fan controller.<sigh>

• albundy

loudness complaints? its an el cheapo case with an el cheapo psu. whacha expect, zalman? and the GF 8600gt fan might make slightly more noise then the usual onboard cr@p, just slightly.

• MattMojo

Why would anybody want to buy one of these? Honestly. You get a half-a..ed machine with a hacked OS…. please — what a joke. If you want an Apple go buy one — from what I hear it is worth the purchase (hardware wise).

I myself would never own one (Apple or this Apple-hack) — but they do work as intended.

Mojo

• adisor19

I agree. If you want to run OS X but not buy an apple, just lurk in the osx86 forums, find out what works and build your own.

Adi

• Forge

Highly recommended.

I’d imagine most OSx86 users want what I wanted: The missing Mac.

Not a Mac Pro, cause I don’t always use cores #3 and #4, much less 5-8.

Not an iMac, because I really hate paying top-end prices for mid-to-low end GPUs.

The infamous Intel PowerMac; something nice and single LGA775, with a PCIe 16X or two and a few PCI slots. Something affordable but not cheap, with a little horsepower when I want.

Gord forbid they cannibalize Mac Pro sales. Nothing like selling Xeons to folks who don’t need them and aren’t savvy enough to realize they don’t want them either.

Much like yourself, I’m still trying to figure out what Psystar’s customers really wanted. It’s like a Mac Mini with a GPU upgrade and a broken fan.

• bdwilcox

The article’s wrong; the fans in that system are the same as Apple’s: loud, obnoxious, and you can’t turn them off.

obviously you’ve never used a newer Mac.

• bdwilcox

obviously you missed the joke.

• 5150

Don’t ever joke about Macs

obviously I was proving your point.

• bdwilcox

LOL! Too funny…

• adisor19

AHAHAHHA i just got it. Good one 😀

Adi

• True Xploder

ha…good stuff.

• Kurlon

I’m reminded of my G5 that would randomly decide that the fans needed to run full blast for as long as the machine was powered up…

• StashTheVampede

Throughout the several years of use with my G5, it went batshit insane with the fans a few times (esp during a kernel panic). There was one time where I came home from work and the noise was so loud, I could hear it from the garage (two floors down).

• bthylafh

ROFL. Just got it! Too true.

• Ashbringer

I sense a disturbance in the Apple force. Jobs must assemble the mightiest of Jedi… the lawyers.

• ssidbroadcast

No man, you got it wrong: Lawyers are Sith.