id Software announces… Doom 4

id Software will be producing another Doom title after all. After last year’s unveiling of Rage, id’s next-generation title based on entirely new intellectual property, the game development studio has announced Doom 4. Production on the next installment in the Doom series has already begun, and id says it is “expanding its internal team and is currently hiring to work on this highly anticipated title.”

The company’s press release doesn’t include any details about what we can expect to see in the game, but it quotes id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead as saying Doom is “part of the id Software DNA” and making a new title in the series “demands the greatest talent and brightest minds in the industry.” Game development pros in search of work can check available positions on id’s website and submit their resumes to jobs@idsoftware.com.

Shacknews speculates Doom 4 may be based on id Tech 5, the next-gen engine John Carmack concocted for Rage. Since id has been working on Rage for some time and only just began work on Doom 4, such a choice indeed seems likely. id Tech 5 is a multi-platform engine spanning the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3, so Doom 4 could show up on consoles, as well.

• c0rn

Well here goes.

I wouldn’t say that ID software only make advanced demos. Just take the first three Quake games, they maybe old today but they where all groundbreaking when they came (even Q2 that was no fav. of mine).

I would even say that Quake1 (qw not rq) is one of the main reasons that FPS games are the way they are today. When Quake1 first came out it was way ahead of its time, yes there was other FPS games (Duke Nukem comes to mind) but nothing back then could even come close to the game play that Quake1 with the QW update offered for online gaming. Even as a modem player it was playable.

And for Q3, that is still one of the best FPS games ever made. Not just my opinion but from the amount of players that played or still play the game. I would think that this is a lot because of Carmack and not despite of Carmack. Only Counter Strike could compete with the amount of players that played/play the game online.

One thing that ID Software should do though is maybe not release the games to quick. Just take a look at the Quake games, they have all been really good online games, but as soon as the first updates come out the games have elevated to totally new levels when it comes to game play, most of the time being to late as to many people have already given up on the game. Just take Quake4 as a example, with the latest updates the game play is smooth, fast and packed with action but the servers are just not as full as they should.

I would agree though that Romero should go back to ID Software and stop thinking that he should code games (even if he is a very good coder), his level design has always been his strong side IMO.

And sorry for my long ranting here, I hope I didn’t step on anyones toes. It’s just hard for somebody like me that is over 30 years old and has been playing online games since the first quake demo to hear anybody say bad things about the company that made online FPS what it is today. No matter how you like or dislike ID Software, give credit where credit is due.

/c0rn

• Xenolith

My bold prediction? It will be web-based… on whatever they call the Quake Live/Zero engine.

• beetlebud

Like Crysis, this will get a lot of hype and no sales. Everyone is migrating to the consoles, so they should market accordingly…

• Mavrick88

I’ve played some ‘scary’ games but Doom 3 was the first game ever to make me jump. Ever.

That alone makes me give it a thumbs up! There will always be ‘better’ games but at that time they did a good job with it. I enjoyed the game play.

• PRIME1

Doom 3 was good.

However the more important thing will be the engine.

As a lot of great games are made using Id’s engines.

• StashTheVampede

Find the guys that did serious sam. Replace the yellow/orange/blue textures with more brown/black/dark grey.

THAT will sell.

• 0g1

Yeah, put some nice blood and effects in there.

• albundy

will i be playing doom4 in a pitch black environment? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Crayon Shin Chan

Please, id, make it better than Doom 3.

Solution: adopt the feel from Doom 2. Tons of enemies, nowhere to hide, wide open levels that have a semblance of originality and actually have something to do with hell (died when Romero left the company, IMO).

When I saw the Doom 1 mod for Doom 3 online, I jumped up and down of my chair screaming ‘YES! YES this is what Doom 3 should have been! YES!’ guess what. I want Doom 4 to have that effect on me.

• Meadows

Tons of enemies are the solution? I thought gaming has left that era and ventured towards stringent enemy numbers, but more atmosphere and more complicated AI as well as a storyline (come now, when did Doom 1/2 have any sort of a storytelling? I’d play 8-10 levels before I get half a page of irrelevant junk, that’s not a standard today).
      I agree the level layouts were getting dull pretty soon as I was playing Doom 3, but that was probably the only drawback I remember. I may just be a different gamer though.

• Firestarter

DOOM was all about mowing down the hordes of hell. The scary part was not being able to kill them fast enough to survive. Creeping around a corner with your flashlight and getting scared because a Imp spawns in front of you and you have to switch to your shotgun is not DOOM.

• Meadows

The original idea behind the first Doom was to make a horror game (and fill a gaping hole in the videogame genre list) – it just happened to slide towards mass murder at some parts and around the end, since back then, that was the ultimate coolness (Space Invaders logic, anyone? One against a quadrillion?). I’m glad they didn’t bring that back so they could make an approximate horror game in the 21st century instead.

Originally, they also had a good number of mazes, because back then, that was the ultimate coolness. I’m glad they didn’t bring that shit back, either.

• dragmor

I still haven’t played doom 3, but I do have Doom and Doom II with mods installed.

• dano1122

MORE ZOMBIE CLOSETS

• Unckmania

I had a lot of fun playing Doom 3. Even if it felt like a very easy game.

• 0g1

I hope this means Carmack has had success making a voxel renderer.

A simple game like Doom usually means a tech demo.

• DaveJB

As strange as it sounds admitting it, it was really John Romero who made the early Doom and Quake games really work; Quake III really succeeded in spite of Carmack being the head designer rather than because of him, and everything since then has been crap. I say that iD and Romero should make up and get back together, then… well, either their combined powers will reinvent the FPS, or they’ll create something so awful that they’ll destroy each other for good. Either way, the gaming world wins.

• kvndoom

Daikatana 2!!!!!

• Meadows

No need to exaggerate, he’s talking about a reunion.

Daikatana was Romero’s design and childish fantasy without Carmack’s strict leadership and punctual schedules.

Doom 3 was the same in reverse. Except, I must admit that Doom 3 did fairly well (every time I recall it, I remember two good — to me at least — scenes, one of them being the soul cube mutilating the endboss, and the other is the ghost scene somewhere around the middle of the game). Even without Romero, the game wasn’t *bad*.

• idgarad

iD has never made a game, they make very complex game engine demos. And as far as technology goes they are a fossil. They couldn’t even fix the network code in the doom3 engine to actually play via the internet with any measure of quality. Their in-house writers are aweful, their sound engineers remind me of highschool student playing with cheesy sound samples, and their art department is near brain-dead.

Take some risks iD, you have nothing to lose now except the stifled laughter of your critics. Get back to Demons, Satan, and terror and give up this alien jackassery.

I’ll even write you a decent script that is 100% alien free. Total reboot. Gimmie a jingle iD and I can fix the story telling part at least….

• NeXus 6

Agreed. I actually had more fun playing Quake 4 SP. It had better level design and excellent outdoor enviroments. Raven Software still knows how to make a great game from id’s game engines.

• WaltC

Much as I hate to say it, I don’t think there’s an original bone in id’s body…;) The company has been shoveling the same thing for its entire history. Nothing new here.

• kvndoom

IDDQD!

Ugh, I didn’t enjoy D3 that much. As was said, it needed more lighting, more outdoors stuff. D1 was cramped but it was ok because it was new. D2 was really outdoors quite often. Like a fool I’ll buy it regardless (they named it after me after all ๐Ÿ˜› ), but I hope for the best.

• Kharnellius

Can we bring back the “kill hoards of baddies with baddass weapons” instead of the “kill 1 or 2 baddies with piss ass weak weapons”?

Ultimate Doom Collector’s Edition = FAR > Doom 3

That’s one bloodthirsty Kharn the Warrior King for you!

That said, I’m with you – I hope it’s better than Doom 3.

• UberGerbil

I kind of wish iD just did technology, and let others do the games. Let them farm out the franchise to a studio who can do justice to the property without rehashing the same tired tropes.

• BiffStroganoffsky

In order to sell the engine, you need something to highlight what it can do, right? Think of DOOM as the technology demo…that some consumers buy…but still cheaper than 3Dmark.

• tanker27

******YAWN********

I am FPSd out. Nothing new or groundbreaking………..well except for TF2, thats fun.

• Thresher

It may just be a sequel, but this one will be much improved. It will feature a flashlight that can be used WITH a gun.

• StashTheVampede

Doom3 was a shitfest of poor designs that DIDN’T have much of the same feel as the old Doom1/2 game.

My favorite asinine issues: clearing a room, getting to another and having someone come from behind beating on me. Is that their idea of how to scare people?

Don’t get me wrong: the graphics were amazing, but that was about it.

How many people licensed that engine? Doom3, as a game, was a poor demonstration of what the engine could do.

• davidedney123

I second everything this guy said. The clearing out of a room just to have thigns pop up from behind you is the most infuriating crime a game can commit. Maybe the odd room you have to check really thoroughly for hidey holes to slaughter everything, but that’s it.

Oh, and add to that crappy monsters that you unload 2 clips into to kill with no real visible sign of damage. When I shoot something I want it to look and act like it’s been shot! Making a game challenging should be about more than making it take 200 headshots to kill a big boss monster at the end of the level – surely we’ve moved on from that with PC games? This is also the biggest problem with the Halo series, IMHO.

Dave

• Meadows

My god, games have difficulty instead of acting as a masked God Mode tech demo, only good for grown-ups, run!

Seriously, you shouldn’t expect ninja AI and movements from a bunch of mindless demons. I had no problems with anything, I actually liked Doom 3 more than any other part in the franchise. Or any of the Quakes.

• Kharnellius

I didn’t see anywhere where he said Doom 3 was too hard.

The only thing hard about it was having to fight off overwhelming boredom while peppering demons with the world’s first “I only have a 3 and a half foot effective range” shotgun.

The low amount of health packs was beyond frustrating. You had to fight each battle almost perfectly and take each encounter very slowly and meticously. I began to think the game wished it was a tactical shooter (which it wasn’t). Doom was never about being tactical, it was about overkill and way too many bad guys for one bastard to take down. Can we have some “run and gun” fun again? Is that REALLY too much to ask for?

• ludi

Really? Because I have yet to play a game that scares me the way Quake did. Something about the combination of the gloomy gothic ambience and things that spawn out of nowhere and announce your doom with surreal snarls.

• Meadows

Quake is very scary.
            You’re right.
            </sarcasm>

• ludi

It’s your good humor and winning personality that keeps me coming back!

• davidedney123

As the other commenter says, the only hard thing about Doom 3 was fighting off the boredom – it’s one of the few games I never bothered to finish.

You could make a game very difficult by making the character drop dead ever time he ran over random and unmarked patches on the floor too – that would be about as much fun as the Doom 3 method of spawning monsters behind you all the time.

Dave

• flip-mode

I liked Doom 3. It could easily have been better in many ways, but it was OK.

• PenGun

It’s completely consistent. Monsters have been spawning and popping out of holes behind you since Doom.

Any experienced Doom player is always expecting a trap and monsters from all angles. I’m so primed by playing since Doom came out that I escape traps in many games. Backed off a bridge in Q4 the other day just before it collapsed. Almost instinctual now for me.

Yeah I know but I haven’t played it all yet ;).

This is a reply to Stash The Vampire. I’m not sure but I think this board is broke. Second time I reply to someone and it shows up elsewhere.

• Meadows

That name typo is almost half as good as masteregg.

• ssidbroadcast

flip-mode is on point. (Doom3 gets too much flak, imo)

• donkeycrock

You know what would help this game… Out door envirements, new story line, Over use of detailed textures… who am i kidding this game is boring. They really just need to make a tf2 style game.

• DASQ

/SNORE

I can’t wait to see how boring Carmack’s next game will be.

• wingless

Another BAD game on the way. I wish it was console only. We don’t need more crap on the PC. PC gamers like good games like CoD4!

• Toasty

but COD4 was better on 360 than PC! Maybe compare it to Crysis instead…

• gtoulouzas

Was it now? I suppose it comes down to what your control method of choice is. I am a keyboard/mouse person, so I liked the PC version better. And the graphics were better on the PC, though this obviously depends on individual system specs.

• bthylafh

Stop raping my childhood.

• Toasty

How can Doom 4 be raping your childhood. Also, playing Doom as a child was itself raping your childhood – go ride a bike now to make up for lost time.

• DASQ

No way, Doom 2 was an awesome part of my childhood. One of my favourite youth pass-times, between lighting lego men on fire and biking in mud.

• provoko

Doom 1&2, ah the good ol days when shooting a demon from hell wasn’t being blamed for the worlds problems.

If you’re younger than, say, 20 Doom came out when you were less than 5 years old. *shudder*

• bthylafh

I was…14 when Doom was released in December ’93.

• danny e.

also, FEAR was scarier than DOOM 3 & more fun.

• NeXus 6

Not to mention better A.I.

• ssidbroadcast

Everybody talks up FEAR’s A.I. but you know what? I didn’t find it any more challenging than say, HL1’s A.I. — Knows about flanking, not much else. (occaisonal scripted evade/protect maneuver)

• NeXus 6

I thought Half-Life 1 had better A.I. than FEAR.

• BoBzeBuilder

I thought Doom1 had better A.I. than FEAR

• BobbinThreadbare

Half Life 1 has the best AI I’ve ever seen.

• SNM

You know, everybody talks up HL1’s AI, but I played it a year or two ago (didn’t start FPS until fairly recently) after playing HL2, FEAR, Far Cry, etc….
            HL1’s AI isn’t anything special any more; it certainly doesn’t have “Best AI Ever.” Maybe best for its time, but the AI didn’t surprise me at all.

• ssidbroadcast

I might take a lot of flak for this, but honestly I think Halo 1 (and by extension, Halo 2) had superior A.I. to both HL1 and FEAR.

In Halo, not only did enemies recognize flanking, but they relocated once a position was compromised. If there was cover they sought it out, and even dived for it. Some enemies have shields that they would hide behind when shot at, and shoot from when not. If you tried to flush them out with a grenade, they’d run. Vice versa, if you stayed behind one spot for too long, they would try to flush you out. If their shields were deplenished, they would evade if possible.

And to top it all off, there was friendly A.I that applied all the same behaviors, and more (taking positions w/ vehicles.)

I have not, and will never, play Halo 3 so I’m not sure if things have improved.

Far Cry also has some really good A.I. … but for some reason I can’t remember in what way.

• BobbinThreadbare

I never played Far Cry, but Half Life 1’s AI was way better than it’s sequel’s.

• TurtlePerson2

You have to compare games that came out at the same time. When Doom 3 came out it was really cool.

• MrJP

Just being objective for a moment, here’s a list of FPS PC games released within +/-6 months of Doom 3 that are more highly-rated on ยง[<http://www.metacritic.com:<]ยง Half-Life 2 (96) UT2004 (93) Far Cry (89) Counter-Strike: Source (88) Call of Duty: United Offensive (87) Doom 3 (87) Subjectively, in my opinion Doom 3 is getting heavily over-rated with a score of 87. I'd easily place it behind quite a few games further down the list. For example: Thief: Deadly Shadows (85); Painkiller (81); and even Star Wars: Battlefront (76). Doom was revolutionary. Doom 2 was Doom turned up to 11. By comparison, Doom 3 was just disappointing. I'm looking forward to Peggle 2 more than Doom 4...

• SpikeMeister

There’s a Peggle 2?!

• MrJP

Well, I made it up to make the point, but one of the immutable laws of video games is that success breeds sequels, so I’m sure it’s only a matter of time. Fever score!

• Nitrodist

Doom 2
    Release date October 10, 1994

Doom 3
    Release date August 3, 2004

Doom 4
    Release date ??????, 2014

Only 6 more years!

• Meadows

By then, Duke Nukem Forever is sure to have a downloadable demo.

• Jon

No I think by then they would only have released a couple more screenshots.
        A demo is a mere pipedream!

• provoko

YOU JUST JINXED IT!! THANKS!

• danny e.

hmm i thought Carmack was all sick of Doom.

• SPOOFE

He’s probably not sick of paychecks.