Dell readies stylish Inspiron laptop lineup

Who ever said Dell’s Inspiron laptops couldn’t look sexy? The guys at Engadget have unleashed several pictures of a new range of notebooks from Dell’s low-end consumer line, and the machines have a distinct aesthetic flair reminiscent of the pricier XPS-series machines.

According to one of the pictures that looks like a presentation slide from Dell, the 15" Inspiron 1535 is coming on May 26, while the 17" Inspiron 1735 will follow on June 9. The smallest of the batch—the 14" Inspiron 1535—has been delayed until October. Engadget says all three systems will be 1" to 1.5" thick with slot-loading drives and processors as fast as a 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo T5850. Dell will reportedly offer Blu-ray and 3G WAN connectivity as options, as well.

Dell seems to have borrowed some design elements from its pricier XPS M1330 and XPS M1530 notebooks. The sides of the machines look quite similar, with a large hinge that covers the entire rear end of the laptops and a low-profile slot-loading drive. Dell will offer a wealth of "personalization" options, too, such as different back and palm rest designs and colors.

• Spotpuff

I’m curious about the use of capacitive keys; personally I like to have some travel/touch feedback when using keys, and don’t capacitive buttons use power even when not in use directly?

If so then it’ll affect battery life for the notebook. I know the efficiency of the capacitive buttons can vary but still, in a market where every watt counts, it’s a curious choice.

• sroylance

IMO they’re still hideously ugly compared to anything apple makes. Maybe it’s just the style at this time, but the simple clean lines of apple’s hardware are more attractive to me than the over-decorated flimsy stuff dell makes, and the monotone boxes that lenovo inherited from IBM.

• Spotpuff

I tend to go for function over aesthetics. I like the look of these, though, and if they can keep the price down they’re a compelling alternative to the XPS line, though I wish they’d offer a 13″ like in the XPS line as well.

Apple’s stuff isn’t quite my thing, but a lot of people like it. To each their own.

• Joerdgs

Everyone got his own tastes. To me, Apple laptops look like kid’s toys.

• dlenmn

Speaking as a mac laptop owner, I think they look fine. As far as laptops go, this hardly is over-decorated (although I agree that a lot of PCs do go for that look, and I don’t like it).

Finally, why do you say it’s flimsy? The M1330 (which appears to be of a similar design) has a magnesium case, which is said to be plenty strong (and Mg is less dense than Al to boot). Just glancing at the picture, you might mistake it for plastic because it’s painted.

§[< http://www.intlmag.org/showcase/MgShowcase3_Dec07_Final.pdf<]§

• sroylance

That’s just from past experience. I’ve had problems with Dell keyboards wearing out, and the various bits of plastic decoration deteriorating, falling off or breaking.

I replaced that with an ibook which had much higher build quality, but it was mostly for my wife and she could never get used to OS X (this was in the powerpc days).

Now I have a fujitsu, it’s not pretty, but seems to have pretty good build quality.

• UberGerbil

I love Fujitsus; they’re often overlooked in the laptop conversation. I thought the older S7 series, with the white keyboards, looked very nice. They aren’t cheap, though.

Dell’s Latitudes have always been well-built. The Inspirons went through a period where they were pretty flimsy, but from what I’ve heard/seen that’s been fixed. Of course you can’t expect quite the same quality of materials and build from machines that can cost as little as half as much as a Mac or a “business class” machine.

• UberGerbil

To each their own. The Lenovo machines are mostly plain, no-nonsense business machines, and I can’t really criticize them for that; the 3000 family and the IdeaPad aren’t bad. I agree that a lot of PC laptops are ugly, and that the Macbooks look better than most. I don’t agree in this case. In fact I consider the XPS1330 to be one of the most pleasing designs, and perhaps the nicest looking machine now available. In my eyes it’s far better looking than any of the Macs — the hinge design and the overall wedge shape are real winners. The only thing I really don’t like is the huge Dell logo on screen back, but I despise the enormous Apple logo on the Macs just as much. At least you can get alternate color/pattern screen backs from Dell, though I’d pay extra for one with no logo.

• UberGerbil

“Flush glass edge-to-edge display option (shortly after launch)”

Hmmm.

• KamikaseRider

I own an inspiron 1525 and i’m very happy about the way it looks. It’s thin (at least thinner than my dad’s HP), light and stylish. I don’t think Dell needs to remodel the inspirons right now.

• DASQ

They’re simply trying to keep their models updated to remain ‘hip’, an edge they can’t afford to lose to HP.

• Usacomp2k3

I don’t like this trend towards slot-loading.

• eitje

why is that? i’m curious… 🙂

• Usacomp2k3

From what I’ve heard, it’s more prone to damage from dirt, the ability to use ye-olde-paperclick is impaired, and I personally don’t like the idea of putting in a disk into a device that will be rotated without being able to securely fasten it into place (ie push it onto the spindle which gives a comforting click).

• indeego

Optical media is dying. Get over itg{<.<}g

• Usacomp2k3

What? That was random.

• thecoldanddarkone

That has nothing to do with his point.

Even if it “becoming” less relavant it doesn’t mean it is today. Don’t get me wrong, I use a latitude xt for most of my day and it doesn’t have an optical drive, but I do own a dbay for it.

• vshade

For the 1525 they removed the dedicated graphics option, if they do the same to the 1535 and to the 1435, then the xps will not be cannibalised.

Also the 14″ must be the 1435 and not 1535

• davidedney123

Way to cannibalise sales of the XPS M1530. That said if they do lower build quality over the XPS for the Inspirons a gust of wind will probably dissolve them.