Vista is still selling well, says Gates

Bill Gates, who plans largely to abandon his duties at Microsoft starting this July, is still quite keen on pimping the company’s software. As News.com reports, Gates claimed Vista is selling at a “rapid” rate during a speech in Tokyo, Japan.

According to Gates, Microsoft has sold 140 million copies of Windows Vista so far. The Microsoft co-founder stated in January that Vista had sold 100 million copies since its launch 11 months before, so it looks like sales of the operating system haven’t waned since last year. With Service Pack 1 out the door, more businesses may make the jump to the new OS, too.

These apparently good sales results might explain why Microsoft decided not to extend Windows XP’s general retail presence beyond the June 30 deadline. Makers of low-cost laptops will be able to keep offering the operating system until at least 2010, but folks shopping for regular PCs and notebooks should be stuck with Vista from July 1 onward.

• Vrock

Many people (like me) don’t see a need for Vista and view the upgrade as an unnecessary expense. XP does everything I want it to do and more.

• green

people really should start moving away from xp
    i haven’t quite yet (waiting on nehalem for comparison before making a move to 64-bit)
    haven’t even used vista to be honest. i’m generally running fine with xp.

a workmate, who makes custom boxes, complained about vista’s speed to me
    i suggested he looked for something on vista’s ‘performance’ settings
    this of course stemming from xp and it’s performance settings options
    he tried turning off everything and found it ran a ridiculous amount faster
    of course it looked crap so he turned a few things back on to make it look ‘pretty’
    but basically he now has a new default setup he uses for vista boxes

i haven’t mentioned to him about turning off services yet to get memory back
    this again something stemming from xp and it’s services
    probably save it for another time
    (then again i have no idea if vista has the services management console)

either way when i upgrade i’ll likely give vista a crack as well as ubuntu

• Meadows

Vista has all those Administrative Tools that XP had. About memory, the OS works like XP did: programs first. If you have free memory, the OS will chain it and use it to make itself faster – can’t let it go to waste, memory always uses power, there’s no point in running several gigs empty. However, when you start an application, it will get whatever it wants all the same, since the OS boost cache is low priority in that regard. Turn off services only if you know what you’re doing.

• Taddeusz

I’m happily running Vista Business 32-bit at work that came with my Dell machine. Once I was able to get the administrator tools installed and working it’s worked like a charm. It’s a great step up from XP since I can actually have accelerated video playback on both monitors now. XP will only accelerate the primary monitor.

• thermistor

#47…There are at least several machines in retail, typically the higher-end lappies and towers that feature Vista-64.

I saw several recently at Office Depot…Q6700 tower and a couple of primo lappies.

So, yes, there is availability, but lower-end stuff gets home premium or basic -32.

• herothezero

q[< Most IT departments rolled out Windows 2000 boxes at an unbelievable pace. In fact we had a IT boom for Windows 2000 migrations. Windows XP less so.<]q #4, that just proves what I said; namely, that the migration of companies from W2K to XP was not overnight and some outfits have only recently completed that migration. Vista will be no different, since most companies will roll out Vista with new hardware, generally installed on 3-year cycles. I won't deny I'm biased in favor of Vista, but then again I've been using it on a variety of new and old machines since the public betas were available. I'm not saying it's perfect or that folks even need to upgrade. What I generally tell folks is that Vista brings more positive changes to the user than not, and waiting for Windows 7 is just waiting for the next version of Vista, so you may as well get used to what you're going to be running in the future.

• Mr Bill

Is this really success, selling Vista for (guessing $30 a copy to OEM builders)?

• BKA

It’s time to let XP go. After using VIsta it feels antiquated when I have to work on a n XP machine at work. We have Vista loaded in the CIS labs at work and have had only a few minor issues here and there but the deployment process is easier with Vista than XP. Of course that’s a benefit your normal user would never use or here about.

What’s with the post about how there is no choice of OS when buying a PC at the store. When has there ever been? It’s not like when XP or 98 came out it was any different. You couldn’t request that Windows 98 or 95 be loaded instead. Technology needs to move forward, just let it go already.

Everyone that’s waiting on the next Windows version to be less “bloated” to make the switch then might as well switch to Apple or download your favorite version of Linux now. We all know the next version of Windows will be even more “bloated” and have even steeper system requirements. So whats the difference. Sometimes I believe people have to complain about something, anything.

• Meadows

It was time to let XP go 1 year ago.
      Otherwise, you made a few points I’ve been telling to people here (and around me) for a while.

• Hattig

Not with all the teething problems with Vista, and the nVidia driver farce.

Now that SP1 is out, and the majority of issues are fixed, it is time to consider Vista.

The real issue is that the follow-up to XP should have been here 3 years ago, not 1 year ago.

• ludi

Some of us have older software libraries that would require extensive overhauling in order to accommodate Vista. Not being that rich, I still use XP on my main machine, and I paid almost $100 extra for an XP machine over a similar Vista machine a year ago when I bought my laptop, same reason.

I may upgrade one or the other to Vista sometime around August or September, and the other one next year.

• NeXus 6

I agree, assuming it’s just for new system builds with the proper hardware to run Vista well. Cheaper and less powerful systems would be better to put XP on them. Vista Home Basic is a joke.

• Fighterpilot

Hey what’s with shooting down that favorite bash Vista point?
      There’s no need to state the actual reality that older OS’s weren’t available on a new PC when XP was all the rage.
      Taking away bash points here about Vista is frowned upon.

• zgirl

They weren’t? I seem to recall for years that XP and 2k were available side by side from OEMs. I’d love to know where you get your information from…wait…never mind you like to make it up.

• BKA

I was referring to your typical user who goes into their local store to purchase a PC. Windows 2000 Pro was mostly a business OS not for your average home user. Which I why I only mentioned Windows 95, 98, XP and Vista. Because these were marketed for home users. I may be wrong and can admit it but I don’t remember walking into Best Buy or any other brick and mortar and seeing PC’s with Windows 2000 loaded on them. I do remeber seeing the actual OS for sale just not loaded on a PC.

• zgirl

Ok it might have not been as common place at the average brick and mortar but most online OEMs had the option even on home systems for around 3 years IIRC. (re: 2001 – 2004)

• Hattig

It’s not like your average PC buyer has much of an option when they get their PC these days. Apple selling hundreds of millions of iPods is an achievement because that’s a decision the consumer had control over. PC makers selling hundreds of millions of PCs, that come with Vista, that’s not so impressive for Microsoft. Especially since people are downgrading to XP in many situations anyway.

• Fighterpilot

I’ve found Vista to be a nice upgrade from XP(which I used daily for 5 years)
    It looks better,is more secure and handles home media much better.
    It is however too expensive and would have been far better received had it been a $100 upgrade for people with a current XP license.
    Still….140 million copies is pretty impressive,hopefully Windows 7, or Vienna or whatever they decide to call it will be at a more reasonable price.

• Meadows

My brother attends some secondary school, and they studied stuff about viruses a while ago. Then the teacher asked them what product they used to keep their computer safe (like an anti-malware suite was a must), and my brother proudly announced that he’s using Windows Vista for that purpose.

Indeed, it’s been half a year without an antivirus or anything other than Windows Firewall (we’re lazy, I’m administering all the home systems) but last time I checked all the machines and there were no infections (other than tracking cookies which pose no threat). I can tell from experience that my old XP machine could only achieve that if I didn’t connect it to the internet – as soon as I did, and resumed my usual online habits, there was trouble. Now we have two computers with Vista Ultimate 64 and one simple machine (for the few times when the parents want something) running XP 64, nobody complains.

• Kurotetsu

Isn’t that more to do with the fact that 64-bit viruses don’t really exist yet? Rather than Vista being any more secure than XP?

Note: Reading Vista’s features, I do think it is more secure than XP

• Meadows

Keep in mind, that there are two *[

I think retailers need to make Vista64 more readily available. I got my dad Home Premium w/ SP1 at Best Buy (sale) and they only had the 32-bit version. As for the kernel patch protection, I believe they borked that in some way in SP1 to appease ISV’s, most likely AV vendors such as Symantec.

• Meadows

McAfee was crying a lot louder, while really reputable ones such as Kaspersky practically offended the likes of McAfee, telling that protection software doesn’t specifically /[

• BKA

They should make 64 bit more available especially when customers want additonal memory install that takes them over 3GB.

For those that didn’t know you can use the same product key for the 32 or 64 bit version of Vista that you own. I beleive you can request an additional disc from Microsoft for free (or for the price of shipping, can’t remember since it’s been a while) that contains all the versions in 32 or 64 bit.

• bdwilcox

Meadows said: /[<"I bow to Lord Vista, made my life better."<]/ Camera pans down to Bill Gates giving Meadows oral.

• Meadows

Good, but take the orgasm from another angle please!

• Dirge

Ok I installed Ubuntu 8.04 and am really loving it. Everything seems allot faster and so far I am thinking of staying.

• Meadows

How does that relate to this news post?

• Dirge

It relates because I am dissatisfied with my copy of Vista.

Then say that.
          (Not saying it’s much more relevant though)

• flip-mode

It has as much to do with the subject as many of your comments.

• Meadows

He could at least try to mimic me and make irrelevant posts with *[

• kaikara

I am feel exactly the opposite. I have Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop (1.8GHz, 3GB Ram, 160 7200rpm drive) along with Vista SP1 32 bit. I have found that Vista is faster starting up and shutting down and also just feels faster in daily use. Not that I shut down that much anymore since I use sleep all the time. Vista it has worked perfectly. Ubuntu half the time it won’t come out of sleep and this was the same for 7.10. I have also had more issues with the ubuntu install (updates screwing up GRUB, graphics issues, etc) than i had with Vista. Vista just feel more polished especially since SP1. I am a big fan of Linux but I think people like to look at it with rose coloured glasses on since it is fighting the big evil MS.

• Meadows

And the big evil MS isn’t so evil, based on what you’ve described.

• Dirge

Thats interesting, it goes to show one users experience is not universal. I was contemplating reverting to WinXP, but Ubuntu 8.04 seems to be doing the job pretty well.

• Usacomp2k3

My parents company has Vista on all the new computers. We don’t because managing 179 computers with 1 full-time plus me part-time isn’t feasible unless we have a very specific and standard support base. I’d say in about a year we’ll probably make the move.

• Krogoth

Yep, the FUD’ers are now eating their crow.

• adisor19

FUDers ? I think you need to pay a closer look. Consumers are buying Vista cause the have no choice. It comes preloaded with every freakin PC.

No so much in the corporate world..

Adi

/[

• h4rb1ng3r

I work in well know independent pc retailer in Australia with a lot of ‘ethusiasts’ and corporate customers. We have a ‘most popular’ items list on the front of our website which any one can view.

XP Pro OEM is the fourth most popular item on our website behind harddrives and q6600’s. We can list up to 30 items over the last 90 days. Vista is NOWHERE to be seen on this list.

nuf said.

• Mystic-G

Let’s just hope Microsoft’s next OS is nice enough to make the rest of us XP users make the jump.

• Steba

this vista thing is out of control. it’s like xp users are blacklisted… i’m having issues with my 9800GTX and nvidia doesn’t even have a spot for non – vista bugs but i refuse to switch to vista for now.

• bdwilcox

For consumers, just buy through Dell Small Business and request the XP downgrade option.

• FubbHead

They have this nice, stable OS, and they refuse to sell it to people. Good god…

• Meadows

Nice? Ugly and inconvenient.
      I bow to Lord Vista, made my life better.

• BiffStroganoffsky

Your so called life must have/still do really suck.

• Meadows

No, I just use my computer a lot for my work and hobbies, I like it being comfortable.

• Convert

In the coporate world they have restarted their marketing blitz as well, basically their angle is that they accepted the fact that Vista had some major problems but now with SP1 it’s a real replacement for XP.

• thecoldanddarkone

Half of my networks computers will probably be Vista within the next year.

• adisor19

It saddens me that PC buying consumers won’t be given a choice come June 30 🙁

I have Vista installed on a home PC and it’s a mess from all points of view. I wish Apple would release OS X as a Mac free OS.. however that’s very unlikely.

Adi

• indeego

You’ll be able to get XP preinstalled with a free upgrade to Vista.

Best of all worlds, IMO. I’m not blacklisting Vista forever, just right now, and especially last year, it’s not ready for my workg{<.<}g..

• just brew it!

What I’ve seen lately from major PC vendors seems to indicate exactly the opposite. Typically you get *[

• herothezero

How is the 3% corporate presence in the first year of release any different from the delayed implementations of XP from W2K? Hell, all of us in the business know of companies that only recently finished migrating to XP from legacy OSes. I don’t see why Vista would be any different, but everyone is conveniently forgetting the trauma many folks had with the first release year of XP and yet treating Vista’s changes as if they occurred in a vacuum.

I was hoping we’d have already started our migration to Vista company-wide, but there was a single management and backup application that won’t be ready until the fall. So we wait.

• kc77

Um, the roll out to Windows 2000 happened very rapidly. Far far quicker than Vista. For workstations it brought stability over Windows 98 and for servers…LOL … Active Directory. Most IT departments rolled out Windows 2000 boxes at an unbelievable pace. In fact we had a IT boom for Windows 2000 migrations. Windows XP less so. Vista in comparison if they showed the downgrades would be a mere blip in comparison within the IT sector. For the consumer machines Vista probably has a higher uptake primarily due to people not having a choice amongst OS’s.

• Spotpuff

Our company got XP 4 years after it came out.

• adisor19

I manage about 200 PCs at my company and NONE ( ZERO) have Vista on them.

Dell better keep pumping out those XP CDs with new computers or else..

Adi

• zgirl

At lot of people forget XP followed 2000 rather quickly. Barely a year between them. Not to mention a lot of apps that worked on 2k worked just fine with XP.

I had just completed a 2k rollout for the company I was working for when XP was released. We liked it better. It worked nice. But the licensing budget was spent already so we had to wait.

But we had no issue moving to XP as new machines came in. I know a lot of people who did this.

XP had it’s share of growing pains, but to me the experience was far better then what Vista brought to the table.

• Heiwashin

So no new oem copies from newegg?

• just brew it!

That’s how I understand it. Dunno how strict MS will be about enforcing it, but I plan to pick up an extra copy or two before 6/30, because my wife and kids’ machines are still running Win2K and are sorely in need of an OS upgrade since a lot of newer commercial software requires at least XP.

This may actually be a brilliant marketing move on MS’s part. Tell people that XP will be discontinued, so that they can sell a buttload of XP licenses (some of which will end up never being used) before 6/30!

• flip-mode

So many of the Vista faithful love talking about how many copies of Vista have sold. Why not trumpet the number that were sold with the downgrade to XP? I’m guessing that’s a pretty big number. I saw somewhere that Vista is only on less than 3% of corporate machines? I wish I could link to that but I don’t know where I saw it… internet statistic FTW.

• Corrado

But you forget how slow the corporate world moves. They didn’t move to XP until 2-3 years after it was out. There are a lot of companies just in the past year moving from Server2K to Server 2k3. A lot of places only replace servers ever 5-7 years. Server 2k8 is out now and I don’t foresee a large number of companies using it untill 2010-2011 timeframe. The corporate world doesn’t want to pay in time or resources to retrain users, rewrite software, etc so they stick with what works until they see a real reason to upgrade. Vista is a great OS… but if you’re a home user theres no need to upgrade for the sake of upgrading. If you get a new PC with it? Sure use it, if you have anything in the past 2-3 years that came with XP? Don’t bother.