Some users find XP SP3 upgrade not so smooth

When the third service pack for Windows XP went gold, News.com reported that the upgrade process would be a "quick, painless" affair for most users. Not always so, according to InfoWorld, which says SP3 drew "hundreds of complaints" from users within mere hours of its release on Windows Update earlier this week.

Indeed, a quick look at Microsoft’s official Windows XP message group shows a considerable number of threads about numerous problems with SP3. Users claim the update has caused their computer to crash, fail to recognize external drives, enter reboot loops, or stop booting altogether. InfoWorld quotes one user who calls himself "Doug W." as saying, "After three attempts [to install XP SP3] with different configurations each time, System Restore was the only way to get me out of deep s**t."

InfoWorld blames conflicts with already-installed software and drivers for these snags. However, considering Microsoft seems to be pushing SP3 through both Windows Update and Automatic Updates, some of the aforementioned users may not have had a chance to double-check program compatibility before installing.

• d0g_p00p

I don’t seem to have encountered any issues and I work at a radio station with custom software and wonky audio apps. I did heavy testing and pushed the update via WSUS to 100+ machines. So far all seems well. I am fearing the Office upgrade more.

• charged3800z24

Weird.. I have it on both MCE 2005 boxes and my work laptop. I actually had a choice in installing it to. All network drives work.. no rebooting freezing etc.. everything is running great so far….

• Mystic-G

It’s a service pack…. there are obviously going to be problems.

• Mavrick88

Summary:

Me: Never had any problems doing SPs. Always keep up with current OS and changes.

Happening: Dell work laptop. Upgraded to SP3. System reboots. Blue screen: “Missing GDI32.DLL” so it will not load into Windows at all. Restart. Safe Mode. Blue screen “Missing GDI32.DLL.” No boot into safe mode. Use Windows recovery off SP2 disc. Boots fine. Install SP3. No blue screen. Instead: “Hal.dll missing or corrupt, reinstall it.” Boot Windows SP2 disc, no repair option, no Windows install detected. Cried for 2 hours. Googled “Hal.dll.” Installed Winows SP2 in a different directory, copied boot.ini and hal.dll to old windows directory, changed boot.ini file to boot old windows directory, booted, saved. Phew. Working SP2 again. Installed SP3. Worked. 3rd times a charm? Yay me. No work data loss. Reminds self why backups are important. Backs up files. Done. Go me go. Finally on SP3 baby.

• Saber Cherry

It turned me into a newt!

• Krazeee

A Newt!?…

• ludi

She’s a witch! Burn her!

• grantmeaname

It got better…

• Mavrick88

Witches are made of wood. What also floats in water?

• Kurlon

…Churches!

• elpresidente

…Very small rocks!

• ludi

A *[

• Saber Cherry

Who are you, who is so wise in the ways of service packs?

• UberGerbil

Three is the number of the Service Pack, and the number of the Service Pack is three.

• DrDillyBar

One, Two, Five! [three sir] Three!

• Lucky Jack Aubrey

Wow, Microsoft has been on a roll with their service pack releases recently.

A quote from my company’s IT service desk:

/[

• Logdan

I’m assuming your end users have the rights to install the Service Pack?

• toetag

Never underestimate what a user can, or might try, to do.

• Lucky Jack Aubrey

Some do, some don’t.

I have the rights, but I chose a “wait-and-see” approach, mostly due to experiences shared by my fellow gerbils over the years.

• Madman

Bad XPSP3 makes XP baad and Vista good, Vista sales go up, it’s all good 😀

But if seriously I much rather use slipstreamed version + clean install. Upgrade process is always long and often painful.

• maxxcool

Yup slipstreamed with winnt.sif file for unattended install + slipstreamed drivers.

<3 sp3

• bthylafh

SP3 slipstreamed with some unattended stuff activated, then driverpacks.net slipstreamed in. Works like a charm! It’s about a gig large, so needs to be burnt on a DVD.

• PerfectCr

MS strategy to move people to Vista?

Nah.

• Meadows

Ha! Take that, Ecks Pee!
    <villainous laughter>

• VILLAIN_xx

hey…

thats my laugh.

• Voldenuit

My approach to service packs is always to download, slipstream, image my current install, format C:\ and then do a clean windows install.

Paranoid? Yes.

Effective? You betcha.

• UberGerbil

You da man. If the entire computing universe was that cluefull and painstaking, the world would be a much better place (and a lot of consultants, product support, and antivirus people would be out of work).

Unfortunately, it’s human nature to be lazy, stupid, and greedy, so many people take shortcuts and seldom think about the implications until it is too late.

• flip-mode

Really? It takes 8 hrs minimum to do a clean image for one of my company’s computers. It’s a hell of a lot of lost productivity to tell the whole company to go bog off for 8 hours while I image your old and then do a clean install. If only the whole world had the time to spare to be so paranoid.

• zgirl

How about building a base image. That can be modified on the side. Then used to re-image entire boxed in less the 10 minutes. Not to mention application packaging to aid in application deployment the same way.

This is what products like Ghost Enterprise Console, Altiris, SMS, and Landesk are for.

How else do you think I have 3 techs manage 6 – 9k machines in school district?

• BKA

Thats what we use for the campus I work at, Ghost. We can push an image out to a machine and have it up and running with all the required software in well under an hour. We have a basic image and then ones that have special needs according to room or office. If we needed 8 hours per machine on campus, I could never leave to go home.

• swaaye

aye. tis the way of things.

• Krazeee

I agree. Rarely do we hear people say “Hey, that’s a real nice product you got there! Good job!” More often than not we hear from all the people who don’t like it for whatever reason, some legitimate, others downright silly.

I actually had everything install without any issues. Just went to the website, downloaded it, followed the prompts, reboot. Haven’t seen any major changes or anything, except there’s a new MSN Messenger icon on my desktop. Meh.

• PeterD

You wrote: ” Well, as usual, we’ll hear about 100% of the people who have problems and 1% of the people who don’t.”
      I think that’s a load of bullshit.
      And why?
      Because you don’t know in which pack you will end up before you start updating!

• UberGerbil

What? The vast majority of people we hear from are those who have attempted an install, and the vast majority of those only post if something went wrong.

Although I suppose there are some people who haven’t installed it who will post that it ate kittens and caused global warming, just because it’s from “M$” (cue P-A cartoon)

• gohan

It wasn’t quick but was painless enough. no crashing or anything ons Dell laptop yet…….

• BKA

I bet a lot of these issues are from people who have systems that were already exhibiting issues and hoped installing SP3 would solve them. But only made things worse.

I installed it on one of my work PC’s that has to stay on XP for our VOIP and it went through fine. Of course this was on a clean install also. Which should be the recommended way to do it if not slipstreaming it into a XP CD and re-install the whole OS. Not really an option for you average user that has been running the same installed OS since they bought the PC back in 2002.

• UberGerbil

Yeah, and on which they’ve installed some hodgepodge of drivers for old hardware they no longer have, and multiple antivirus apps together with their drivers, and who knows what other crap. Not to mention the people with failing memory that only bites them when you run a particularly large application — like a game… or the SP installation.

• hans

No problems on either my home custom or the Dells at work, so far.

• bthylafh

Apparently that’s only for HP systems, because HP used a unified image.

• PeterD

How can a processor lead to a MISSING FILE?
      Get real!

• Meadows

The same way a heavy processor overclock (or RAM, while we’re at it) can lead to blue screens and disk access faults and perceived file errors.

• ludi

That’s simple data corruption, which isn’t the apparent cause of this problem.

• ludi

Read the article. Reportedly it’s because HP mistakenly was deploying an image that only includes the power management file for Intel-based systems.

• tdkx89

Wish I could have known that before I tried to install it on my HP with an AMD processor.
      I’m gonna go hang myself now.

• Kent_dieGo

I have done 3 computers so far and “quick and painless” would be a good description.