Radeon HD 4800 performance estimates leak out

As we reported yesterday, rumor sites are now pretty much unanimous that AMD’s next-gen graphics processors will be part of a new Radeon HD 4800 graphics card series and some say the first of those cards will appear on June 18. But how will AMD’s next-gen wonders actually perform? To complement the leaked specifications that have cropped up recently, VR-Zone has managed to get hold of purported performance numbers.

Naming its source only as "CJ," VR-Zone says that the Radeon HD 4870 will be 30% faster than the Radeon HD 4850 and 25% faster than Nvidia’s existing GeForce 9800 GTX. If that’s accurate, a single Radeon HD 4870 may be as fast as a pair of GeForce 9600 GTs or 8800 GTs running in SLI, and the 4850 may be in roughly same playing field as Nvidia’s best current single-GPU offerings.

Meanwhile, DigiTimes has chimed in with the latest pricing rumors for these two cards. Supposedly, the Radeon HD 4850 will launch at just $229, while the Radeon HD 4870 will follow in late June or July at $349. Of course, AMD will have competition from more than current Nvidia cards: DigiTimes claims the next-gen GeForce GTX 280 and GeForce GTX 260 will also launch "in the middle of June."

• bogbox

I hope is true because a need a next gen card in that price aria , 30% over the old OC 8800 gt named 9800 GT is very good , the g200 will be to expensive for me ($499)

the sweet spot is selling cards , so if the 4850 delivers at that price spot it will like the new 8800 GT .

• 0g1

Say the GT gets 100fps. The Pro must get 125fps. The XT must get 162fps. The 9800GTX must get 130fps. That doesn’t make sense because the 9800GTX isn’t 1.3X the 8800GT. Its more like 1.15X.

Oh well, I’m sure the 9800GTX will be beat by at least 10%.

• ssidbroadcast

That’s strange, I don’t see pluscard anywhere.

• ludi

Maybe he was part of the management “reorganization”?

• Meadows

That comment made my morning better.

• MadManOriginal

q[

• ish718

I mean we know HD4870 will be faster than HD4850 but to say exactly how much faster at this point makes no sense, but Its just a conjecture anyway…

• provoko

Hope so.

• moose17145

So a bit off topic, but i have been looking into making a final upgrade into my aging AGP system. I am in college and don’t have the money to build a full blown PCI-e system, which is the only reason i am looking into upgrading instead of just building a new rig (otherwise i would have already built a new system over a month ago prolly).

Currently i am using a 256MB X800XL video card, and it’s been a good card, except it doesnt support SM 3.0 and directX 10 (SM 3.0 being the biggest pain since many new games just flat require it). I was looking around to see if there were any decent AGP upgrades when i stumbled upon AGP Radeon 3850’s on newegg.

§[< http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102730< ]§ Other system specs P4C 3.2GHz 3GB DDR400 Abit IC7-G Motherboard (thats a 875P north bridge for those who can't remember that far back) X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card My power supply is a 620 Watt OCZ PowerStream unit. Basically the bigger version of this one that TR reviewed a while back. I would assume this should be more than enough to run a 3850, but i could be wrong. §[<https://techreport.com/articles.x/7429/5<]§ I am aware that my CPU will be my main bottleneck in my system and i am willing to live with that. Was kinda just looking for some other opinions or maybe some things that i may not have thought about that someone else already has. Or maybe even someone who has an old AGP system that tried one of these cards. Basically just general advice / opinions.

• marvelous

2600xt or 1950pro would be suffice. A 3850 would be overkill.

• cobalt

That may be the best (and last) graphics card that will be released for the AGP bus. And the power usage is about the same as the X800, so you should be fine. See here for a handy table, including references: §[< http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354<]§ Yeah, a 3.2GHz P4 isn't amazing anymore, but with 3GB RAM I imagine the system is fast enough to make decent use of the card.

• gerryg

I’d save $50 and go with a AGP HD3650 instead. I’m assuming that you’ll end up doing a full upgrade in 12-18 months, or at least a CPU/MB/RAM upgrade and use integrated graphics, which by that time should be plenty fast and still feel like an upgrade from this. Use the $50 you save to buy a couple bargain bin game-of-the-year games and have more fun. 🙂

• moose17145

Well my primary monitor is also a 24″ with a 1920×1200 native res. So i was hoping for something that might be able to handle most games at that resolution, and i wasn’t sure that the 2600 / 3600 series cards could do that. I’m not expecting maxed settings with full AA and AF (and i don’t own crysis yet, so no worries there), but i would also like to get as close to maxed as i can for a system this old.

As for the 1950 pros, i was looking at those a while back but said screw it because they didn’t support DirectX 10. They were faster than the 2600’s that were out at the time, but didn’t support as many of the newer standards that the 2600’s did, so i held off upgrading until i saw that there were 3000 series cards out for AGP (much to my surprise, since i never actually expected to see a 3850 on an AGP bus)

My budget is basically i would like a new videocard but don’t want to spend over 200 dollars. And these 512MB 3850’s looked like the best option.

Also something else i am wondering about (and no idea if any of you will know the answer to this). My PSU has 6 pin PCI-e power connectors, but this card has a 8 pin PCI-e power connector. Would the card still work if i just hooked up one of my 6 pin connectors, or not? I see there is another 3850 made by powercolor that only has a 6 pin connector, but it carries a bit more of a price premium. If it was a PCI-e system i wouldn’t be worried, but since AGP cannot send as much power to the card as an actual PCI-e bus would, i figured it might be worth asking. Don’t wanna fry my motherboard or something from the card trying to pull too much juice because i didnt hook up a 8 pin power lead. And i do see that it has an adapter to turn two molex lines into a 8 pin adapter… but most of my molex ends are tied up in either hard drives or optical drives. I have 4 hard drives and 3 optical drives in this system as well, so molex ends are kind of at a premium for me, but i have two free 6 pin lines, so i would it would be nice to use one of those instead. Not to say i couldnt make using the adapter work if needed, just saying its not my first choice.

• Valhalla926

Check on driver quality first!!! I bought an HD2600XT AGP (a month before the 3850 AGP was announced. Dammit.) I didn’t think of driver issues, only to find out there were no drivers for my card.

Some frustration later, I have the Omega drivers working just fine under windows, but there is no linux support for my card. Check up on driver availability before you make a purchase. I should have gone with a 7600GT or waited for a X1950pro to pop up, don’t make the same mistake and buy on faith that it will work.

• moose17145

Yea i was a bit concerned about that too. From the reviews on newegg though it appears as if most people are getting their cards working though. Powercolor and Sapphire both provide AGP drivers for their AGP based 3850’s. And from what i read there appears to be a couple different work arounds out there for current drivers that work ok.

And I do not want to just sell off my current machine because it’s still a good rig that has some use left in it. If i were to simply sell it off i would be losing a lot just to gain some improved gaming ability. Plus when i do finally get around to building a new rig i was going to siphon some of the parts from my current machine to make the new one. Like the Power Supply (no it’s not a 1 kilowatt monster, but then again most new computers can’t use more than 500 watts anyways so I’m not worried), the X-Fi sound card, along with my 320GB Seagate 7200.10 hard drive, and the case it is currently in. Those were the parts i was going to recycle into my new computer when i eventually build it. So there’s no real point in selling my current machine since i can reuse about half of it. Once i do that though, the rest of whats left will get retired away into an old compaq case where it will live out the rest of it’s days as a file and print server.

• MadManOriginal

For ~$330 right now you could get a mobo (Gigabyte DS3L $90) CPU (e2180 $70) and GPU (9600GT ~<$140 with MIR) and 2x1GB of some DDR2-800 (~$30 after MIR, various choices) then sell your old parts to decrease the cost a bit. Versus spending on a video card and other parts you absolutely know won’t last. Of course buying a whole new rig a year or a little bit more from now will be interesting given whole new architectures but it just shows that at some point you have to start from scratch. Being a student that extra $150 could be the dealbreaker though so whatever you do enjoy it.

• indeego

heh, bite the bullet already. Sell your machine on CL and get the best you can for it. You long since reached a point of diminishing returnsg{<.<}g

• chinese_farmer

ah nah you should get a 3850AGP if your’re not willing to letgo of your old system. It’ll still at least triple your FPS and enable you to play crysis on DX9 mode 🙂

• Kraft75

I’ve been really patient holding off all upgrades since my X1950Pro… I’m really hoping AMD/ATI comes out with a strong offering. 🙂

• pogsnet
    • Mavrick88

It’s always cool to hear about what might be coming from a vendor. Really though it’s all about the actual bench. Let’s just see what happens! 🙂 I’m sure we’ll be more than satisfied when we see the results. But then again, they could be horrible, which I doubt.

• MrJP

Matches pretty well with previous rumours: 25% faster than a 9800GTX is just a little bit faster than a HD3870X2 judging from recent TR tests, at a slightly lower price and presumably less power usage. The HD4850 will slot in around the level of the 8800GTS 512, which is reasonable given the price.

If Crossfire scales as well as it does with the HD3870, then the rumoured HD4870X2 will be up with the 9800GTX 3-way SLI. However, judging from the pricing rumours for the GTX280, I think the supremacy will be short-lived for AMD.

• marvelous

Sounds about right with their specs.

• elty

Does the GTX 280 support DX 10.1?

• slaimus

From past such leaked numbers, this may just be in 3DMark. Remember that 2900XT had really good 3DMark numbers, but failed at most real world tests.

• paulsz28

I was thinking the same thing. VR claims the 4800’s will be “faster” than card XYZ, but what does “faster” mean? What benchmarks/games did they run to determine the 4800’s were “faster?”

• hubick

Damn love/hate relationship with my 30″ 3007wfp 2560×1600 LCD! Oh 4870×2, please hurry to rescue me!

• kuraegomon

I hear you – but I don’t know if that will do it. I’m running dual 8800 GTXes (OC) and that’s not doing it (argh, Crysis, argh). I’d say 4870 x2 should be 1.5x faster than my current combo – and that might not be fast enough.

• ecalmosthuman

The specs on the 4870 made it seem way more badass than these numbers suggest. I guess my plans to jump back on the red train have been temporarily derailed. At least until I see some reviews from both camps.

• anjulpa

Technically, all trains are green. With a blue one joining soon.

• Meadows

That was baaad.

• Peldor

25% over a 9800GTX would be a good bump, but it’s not great compared to previous generational jumps. The prices look nice though.

• Jigar

Hope this true.. Cause that should put HD 4800 in parallel to GTX280

• Silus

No. It puts the HD 4870 at the level of the HD 3870 X2. The GTX 280 should be slightly faster than the 9800 GX2.

How much juice will these bad boys eat? I think that’ll be their big advantage over Nvidia’s graphics/space heater combo.

• mad dog

enough to heat a passive house, dear Watson 😉

• Da_Boss

They did say that the RV770XT would consume 160W. If I’m not mistaken, that’s in between the consumption of a 8800GTX and a 2900XT. Given the projected performance numbers, i’m impressed that the consumption is that low.

• bthylafh

I’ll believe it once TR reviews the card. Not before.

• ChronoReverse

Sound alright but I really hoped for better from AMD. Nvidia’s product might severely blow this out of the water though.

• ucisilentbob

Sounds great! If it all holds true, as long as they keep the HDMI w/Audio as a viable output i dont see why my next card won’t be AMD/ATI.

Unless nvidia adds that to their repitoire.

• reactor

HDMI w/audio is the only reason I went with AMD. nvidia really needs to add this feature.