Atom-powered Eee PC 901 to launch on June 3

At last, Asus has settled on launch details for its first Eee PC based on Intel’s Atom processor. According to DigiTimes, the Eee PC 901 sub-notebook will make its debut in Taiwan on June 3 with a price tag of $20,000 TWD ($650 USD)—roughly 100 bucks more than the just-launched, Celeron-based Eee PC 900.

Judging by how Asus has timed global launches for previous Eee PC models, U.S. customers may have to wait a little while for the new machine to hit American shores. The Eee PC 900 made its debut in Hong Kong on April 16, for instance, but it took until May 12 for it to appear on Newegg and other U.S. online retailers.

Readers who followed the news on Wednesday should already know what the Eee PC 901 will look like. As we reported, the updated laptop will have a more rounded design, metallic parts on the hinges and around the touchpad, and slightly reshuffled connector clusters on the sides. Also, the 901 will trade the Asus badge for a simple “Eee PC” logo at the bottom of the display bezel.

• swaaye

Folks, I seem to recall that Wind’s pricing scales from $400 to $550. That was in a post a while back. Seems to me that that is how Eee PC scales too. At least as of the time of that Wind announcement.

§[< https://techreport.com/discussions.x/14739<]§

• d0g_p00p

The price is now $650 bucks? Talk about losing focus. Well now I know for a fact that my upgrade will *not* be another EeePC. MSI Wind, here I come.

• gtoulouzas

Provided MSI’s Wind comes out at the announced 399$ (which, for reasons explained in my previous post, I find highly probable), Asus is setting itself up for an ugly beating at the hands of the newcomers.

Resting on your laurels will only serve you until the competition catches up. HP may have fumbled the ball with using Via’s C7 for the HP2133, but MSI seems to have hit it spot on with the pricing and specifications of its “Wind”. And there’s also Acer, allegedly prepping its own contender.

I expected more from Asus.

• ludi

Personally, I don’t think HP “fumbled” by using the C7 platform; it’s at the lower end of what all these machines offer, but still same ballpark. Where they went wrong was by announcing a $500 pricetag with that platform. At $350-400, they would be beating up the Eee and stealing its lunch money. At $500, they’re announcing themselves as president of the chess club.

• stmok

Personally, I wished HP waited a bit and used Intel Atom instead…Or even VIA Isaiah.

• ludi

Simple explanation is that they rushed a design to market so it would be able to compete against the Eee before that developed any additional traction. I don’t think they executed that plan so well, though, now that the Wind and Eee 9-series are entering stage right.

• gtoulouzas

The thing is, the 399$ price for MSI’s Wind has been announced a scant two weeks before the supposed release date. Price fluctuations on a product that is months and months away (as happened with Eee) are not unusual, but seeing how Wind is supposed to hit the shelves in a mere 15 days, it would be bizzare to say the least.

Edit: This was intended to be a reply to thread #2, sorry about cluttering the discussion board.

• eitje

what are they really offering anymore? I mean, $650 is a lot of money – double the price of a 2G. :-/

• Peldor

So much for the stampede of people rushing to get the Atom Eee

• HalcYoN[nV]

Same stampede as the 9800GX2.

The 901 appears to be a flagship chasing the Mininote’s top model. We’ll see how the wind fairs in regards to availability and actual launch price.

• elty

$650? I will take a Wind for $399 kthxbai.

• etilena

they reported $399 but will have to see what price the wind goes on sale for. right now it’s still vapourware.

• ludi

Word. I’ll bet the North American launch price ends up being at least $450, maybe $500.

• leor

they’re gonna get pounded if they don’t start lowering prices.

• ludi

Keep in mind the exchange rate on USD is not too great right now. They may be able to make decent coin in the other major markets.