Microsoft resumes talks with Yahoo

Like a hopeful spouse after a row, Microsoft is trying to make things work again with Yahoo. After abruptly ending merger talks a couple of weeks back, BBC News says Microsoft has begun talking with Yahoo about an "alternative transaction":

In a statement, Microsoft said it "is not proposing to make a new bid to acquire all of Yahoo at this time, but reserves the right to reconsider that alternative".
It issued the statement, it said, "in light of developments" since the company withdrew its bid two weeks ago.

Microsoft stressed that a deal may or may not follow from Sunday’s statement.

BBC News says Yahoo later confirmed it was "looking at a number of ‘value maximising’ alternatives with Microsoft," although neither firm elaborated on exactly what those alternatives might be. Still, the rumor mill suggests Microsoft could buy Yahoo’s search business and grab a minority stake in the company.

Yahoo’s current directors are under significant pressure to come to some sort of deal. Amidst stark criticism over Yahoo CEO Jerry Yang’s decision to turn down Microsoft’s $33-a-share buyout offer, billionaire Carl Icahn has bought up 59 million Yahoo shares and is threatening to get Yahoo’s current board members fired at the annual meeting in early July.

The corporate equivalent to “Come back baby, I didn’t mean what I said!”

Yahoo’s online portal sucks, btw. I prefer Google’s. This isn’t going to help anybody’s online presence.

• moog

Google has a portal?

If you mean the few links at the top, then it’s a little clinical or bland. It doesn’t grab my attention like yahoo. I like that yahoo assaults the viewer with content that is mostly interesting (and a nice presentation too).

If I look at daily browsing habits it would be facebook, yahoo, youtube, tr, b3d nbc, etc. I don’t use google unless I need to search or for maps. Google is just not entertaining.

• UberGerbil

Probably means igoogle.com

I actually prefer a lot of things about finance.google.com to finance.yahoo.com but yahoo has better feeds.

• StashTheVampede

Microsoft’s online sites suck. Msn, Hotmail, Live, etc — they are all pieces of shit that cannot be polished to be non shit-tactular. Buy Yahoo and use Yahoo as your “online” front end.

• tfp

I really dislike yahoos portal, to me that is a step back from msn/live/hotmail.

• A_Pickle

While Microsoft’s sites aren’t nearly as well-done as are Google’s…

…I vote that they’re way better than Yahoo’s.

• moog

Actually their live.com email is nicer than gmail.

• UberGerbil

spaces.live.com is surprisingly slick as well, for anyone who wants a 1990s home page without getting on facebook or whatever.

• UberGerbil

It’s Desperate Mousewives, part II.

• tfp

I didn’t say he should, but no one should think he is trying to “save” the company or do what is best for Yahoo! in the long run or the people that work there.

Does it matter to me, not really I don’t work there.

*edit missed the reply button*

• Jive

I think he might be actually doing what is best for yahoo, trying to get enough influence on the board so that they can make some sort of deal with Microsoft to go through.

• tfp

Carl will really screw over Yahoo! it is only a matter of time.

• A_Pickle

I have yet to understand why people view that as such a bad thing. Yahoo Toolbar, Yahoo MusicMatch Jukebox, Yahoo Messenger… they have more than earned my ire towards them. They are a maker of bloatware and are a disgrace to the internet. To hell with Yahoo.

• Maddog

Gordon Gekko: What’s worth doing is worth doing for money.