‘Final’ Radeon HD 4800-series specs, launch details leak out

German website Hardware-Infos has obtained (translation here) what looks like an official document with "final" specifications, pricing information, and launch details for AMD’s next-generation Radeon HD 4800-series graphics cards. This information echoes the June 18 launch date we heard last week, but it says both the 4850 and the 4870 will come out on the same day.

The Radeon HD 4850 will apparently feature 480 stream processors, a 625MHz core speed, an 825MHz shader speed, 512MB of 1143MHz GDDR3 memory, and a 114W thermal envelope. The faster Radeon HD 4870 will also have 480 SPs, but with an 850MHz core speed, 1050MHz shader speed, 1GB of 1935MHz (3870MHz "effective") GDDR5 RAM, and a 157W TDP. Both cards will also feature 256-bit memory buses and 16 raster operators, just like existing Radeon HD 3800-series models, but with twice as many texture mapping units (32 instead of 16).

Hardware-Infos says the Radeon HD 4850 will launch at $249 and the Radeon HD 4870 will be $349. If recently leaked performance numbers are accurate, the 4850 may be in the same playing field as Nvidia’s ~$300 GeForce 9800 GTX.

• Fighterpilot

It’s pretty obvious there’s been a sea change in what is regarded as a kickass card over the last year or so.
    In 2006 people were happily forking over $500,$600 or even more to get what was called a top notch card.
    Here we are in 2008 and the general consensus is that $350 or less is the way to go.
    Bravo to those that have supported this change,the thought of paying over $500 for a video card now is actually distasteful.
    More cards in the vein of the 9600 GT and 8800GT are what’s needed.
    I hope ATI’s new 4800 range can deliver the goods and match the bang for buck of both those great cards.

• odizzido

I hope ATI does well. I am tired of Nvidia and their BS. The UT2 engine stuttering problems are STILL around and the 8800 was released in 2006. It’s really pathetic.

• provoko

My pants just got shorter.

• henfactor

I haven’t read all the comments so i don’t know if someone’s said this already but…

• Meadows

I don’t see any harsh words.
      There’s no apostrophe when you write a plural, though.

And yes, the first “new architecture” cards from AMD pretty much sucked ass, but these ones should give a better show, thanks to a higher texturing output (the old ones lacked there) and more processing power (the old ones lacked there). There’s no reason not to be eagerly anticipating the real abilities.

• 2x4

you really need to get laid and look at some ass instead of poiting out spelling errors

• titan

You spelled /[

• toyota

and you didn’t need an apostrophe so can we end this silliness?

• Ilfirin

You mean a comma?

😉

• Meadows

Damn right!

• Meadows

I don’t visit a tech site to share exact details about my bedroom habits. 😉

• MrJP

Yes, but you do use an apostrophe when you write an abreviation, so spec’s is the more correct way of abreviating specifications. Your previous hyper-critcial post #21 also lacks correct capitalisation and punctuation in the bracketed paragraph.

Your command of English is extremely good for a non-native speaker, but please don’t start heaping snide criticism on to others when you’re not completely beyond reproach. It doesn’t add anything to the discussion and makes you look petty and small-minded. (I’m aware of the irony that you’ve provoked me into exactly the same thing, and I’m hating myself for it already).

• Valhalla926

Anyone else notice the 4870 will have a 256-bit bus? Kind of ruins the allure of the 1GB of memory for me. I guess we’ll see if it can take advantage of it or not, or if this report is a bit incorrect.

• toyota

/[

Why do I have this feeling that the GT200 is two chips on one PCB or something along the lines of it.

• toyota

well thats not true and Im not sure what that has to do with what I was saying about memory bus width.

• Meadows

If you think nVidia is going to make another rehash of the G92, you’ve also been living in a cave.

Well, this cave is kinda cold, so a couple of GT200’s would warm it up nicely. Anyways:
            RE bus width: 256+256=512?
            RE power consumption: ~240W = 2x 120W?
            RE SP: 220 ~ 112×2?

• toyota

the GT200 is a single chip with a 512bit bus and 240sp.

• Meadows

Your SP estimations show some shortcomings in your early education. 😉

I guess ~ means = then huh?

• Meadows

Your rounding is relatively fine if 112+112 equals 220, but it would still be impossible because nVidia can’t disable processors on a per-piece basis. Not to mention the cards come with 240, not 220, which further skewes your stuff. It also goes without mentioning that everybody’s known (for weeks now) that nVidia will introduce a new chip instead of continuing the old optimizations.

• Forge

This is all very interesting. With Nvidia upping the SP count and keeping their stratospheric shader clocks, I’d imagine NV will have the edge in raw shader power this generation. With 512bit memory and a new doubled ROP count, it’ll have a serious brute force advantage as well.

On the other hand, the ATI card won’t require it’s own tower case or 20K RPM fans to cool, and it’ll be a fair sight cheaper.

I guess that for me it all boils down to ATI opening the specs on the RV770 the same way that they have for everything else. If it’s cheaper, more reasonable cooling, and open specs, I think I’m in.

• flip-mode

Interesting points. I’d say the day Forge goes ATI is the day ATI have a very winning product.

• Forge

It’s happened before, it’ll happen again. It just hasn’t happened recently.

All allegations of fanboyism aside, if you look over what I run now and what I’ve run historically, it’s typically been the best kit around, regardless of who made it. ATI’s HUGE contributions of documents and specs to the OSS community has all but guaranteed that their cards are the way to go for the future, just like Creative Labs made themselves the de facto kings of the free software world when they opened specs on everything up to and through Audigy 2. Closing the X-Fi killed that, and even now the OSS world clings to a disproportionate number of Audigys. ATI can follow that trend, just hopefully omitting the ‘closing specs later’ bit.

Also, the folks with open specs tend to have nicer gear, since they know everyone else that cares to can see the deepest innards of their product.

• divided421

The power consumption is most interesting to me. nVidia has been telling board makers to expect TDP’s of 240+ watts. Those things are going to be absolute space heaters. If the 4870 tops at 157w, it will be a victory, even if the performance is less.

• gerryg

What’s the current TDP for 3850/70? I assume the quoted 114W/157W for 4850/4870 is for the card, not total system power? I don’t recall seeing TDP numbers for 3800 series in reviews. Guess I’ll have to look again. Main question is if the TDP is lower or higher, or roughly the same. Partly because it really matters when you’re looking at a cool & quiet system like an HTPC. It’s hard to belive that dual-slot coolers are getting to be the norm for any system that is made to play games (and not just enthusiast-level, but entry-level gaming as well!).

• bogbox

great news , at least we know for sure the specifications.
    The 4850 has all the changes to be my next card,I wander how a GDDR5 really makes the difference (?!). anyway the G200 will big bigger, more expensive, hotter , and faster .
    I’m sorry if nvidia doesn’t launch 10.1 in gt200 , because all this of 10.1 cards are worthless , next year will have dx11 so …
    (nvidia controls the game industry, see Assassins creed case )
    but nvidia new cards will PhysX ,so let’s hope AMD will have the same physics engine .(and not havok )
    p.s was edited ,10x number #19

• Meadows

So many spelling errors in such a little post!
      I didn’t know nVidia sells cars. I thought they were carDs.
      Also, learn to type the brands “PhysX” and “Havok” instead of PhyX and havoc. Those are trademarks.

*[<(yeah, I'm bored enough to bother correcting people with dyslexia and an inability of correct punctuation)<]* Now I know he might defend himself with the argument of "I was in a hurry and I typed quick" but that's as moot a point as any, you don't have to type quick on a board like this.

• poulpy

Well the man is entitled to type as fast as he wants but I’d recommend using -say- Firefox’s built in dictionary to keep it readable 🙂

• bogbox

sorry but I was using firefox build in dictionary and not a single word was underlined .
          next time I will be more careful and use opera dictionary , I’m not a native English or American , my country is a bit far from Britain so understand ,..

• poulpy

That was just meant to be funny, I know dictionaries -although very useful for silly spelling mistakes- can’t pick up everything and certainly won’t guess that /[

• Anomymous Gerbil

Get a life Meadows, not everyone has English as their native language.

• Meadows

Can’t have a little fun every now and then, can I? 😉
          My native language is Hungarian. All I do is make an effort. Plus I know that sentences start with a capital letter, and that punctuation marks always appear in odd numbers, and that there is no space before them (or a group of them), but there is always one after them (or a group of them). And I got used to not clicking “Post Message” (or another site’s equivalent) without reading through whatever I’ve got to say.

• Palek

Szervusz, Meadows!

Jó tudni, hogy más magyarok is látogatják a TechReportot! (Gondolom vagyunk többen is, csak még nem figyeltem fel másokra…)

Egyébként én is próbálok odafigyelni a helyesírásra, de angolnyelvű barátaink nem tartják annyira fontosnak. Általában csak felidegesíted az embereket, ha felhívod a figyelmüket a hibáikra. 🙂

Üdv,
            Palek

• Anomymous Gerbil

If you think it’s fun to brutally criticise someone who is posting in their non-native language, then the other poster was right – you desperately need some alternative forms of amusement.

• Meadows

Come now. When have I ever been brutal?

• Fighterpilot

Image quality is damn good already for the games we have now…I’m more interested in how this new UVD2 chip works and whether it will be able to clean up some of the online videos we see and how it effects high resolution playback.
    A sub $250 price tag for a full featured card with similar or better performance to the 9800GTX will be great for the market.
    No doubt however some people will have it live or die on exactly how many frames per second it generates regardless of the other onboard hardware and its benefits.

• Thresher

Two of them would be even better 🙂

• zgirl

Why would you want to spend money on a card that under performs? Especially if it is next generation.

I guess asking for a competitive card is too much.

• Fighterpilot

lol..er…what?

I think he wants the opposite of a bang per buck card. An Expensive Edition if you will. 10% faster for 50% more cost.

• zgirl

Wrong on both accounts.

FP’s statement it is wrong that FPS will rule the day. I would consider ATI now if they had a SINGLE GPU product that was even close to Nvidia. But they don’t.

So that argument stands with the next generation stuff too. It better perform or I am not buying it.

I’m sorry that was so hard to understand.

• elpresidente

You make it sound like you -[

• albundy

6 months? when does any new video card last that long these days?

• green

… 8800gtx?
            yea it can get beaten
            if you bought it when it came out though there’s still no reason to upgrade.
            and it’s more an exception rather than a rule

• zgirl

I have bought exactly 2 video cards in the last three years. And only because one failed.

Where do I sound like I spend that kinda money? Seriously if you had, say $250 to spend and company A’s card performed 35% better at the same resolution, AA, quality settings over company B’s offering. Where are you going to spend your money?

Why TF is this so hard to understand, everyone judges video cards in the end based on FPS, at whatever price range, settings, they prefer. But ultimately it boils down to the FPS you expect to get.

We have been doing this with video cards for years.

• Shinare

If FPS is so important to you, even at the expense of visual quality, then you can just turn down the video settings in pretty much every game out there and you will get your huge FPS epeeno numbers on just about any card.

Bang for buck, and features are as important if not more so than raw number crunching power. To re-use the tired out old car analogy, you’re the type of guy that will spend $150,000 on a ferrari that has nothing but a seat and a stering wheel, just because it goes really fast. There are others that will spend the money on a Merc McLaren. Not as fast, but way better in every other respect. (even looks 😉 )

• zgirl

Wrong again, glad everyone is reading between the lines here.

I don’t own a top end video card. Never have. However when I had to replace my failed 7800GT. I didn’t even consider ATI since the cards in the price range I was looking at didn’t even come close to nvidia’s performance at the same price range.

All I ask is that the product compete at the price range it is placed in. Then I might consider it.

And that comes down to FPS with image quality turned up. Etc.

So my point is if this NEW ATI offering doesn’t pony up the performance it will be a failure. And thus I won’t be the only one not to buy one.

Again the original post stated that it would be a shame if people judged a video card based on it performance. umm….don’t know about you but that is how we have been judging video cards for years. Over a decade.

And that isn’t about to change.

And to borrow the old analogy…you sound like a upset fanboy when someone says anything against they company they prefer.

Wait that isn’t really an analogy now is it.

Pass to the left.

• poulpy

Gimme gimme!

• zgirl

well that says a whole lot of nothing.

• reactorfuel

You can already get a card with performance almost identical to the 9800GTX for less than $250. It’s called the 8800GTS G92. Heck, on Newegg, you can get an MSI 8800GTS G92, clocked 3 MHz faster than a stock 9800GTX, for under $200 after rebates. If you need a better warranty, XFX is still only $250, and has a rebate to bring it down to $230 or so. The GPU is the same, the performance is the same, and the GTS’s cooler is reportedly better.

The only things you miss out on are tri-SLI support and HybridPower. If you want tri-SLI, you’re better off going with two video cards and spending the extra money on adopting an African orphan or something. The performance will be the same and you’ll have done something worthwhile with the extra money. As for HybridPower, nothing on the market actually supports it yet, so, yeah.

• Mavrick88

I wonder how many more times we are going to hear about these cards and what they ‘might’ do before actually seeing benchmarks. I mean a few posts about specs is cool but it’s starting to get old now. Must……..see…….marks……..

• MrBlarg

Considering that anybody who publishes official marks will be sued into oblivion, I doubt we’re going to see them until they’re official.

• Anomymous Gerbil

Presumably you can only be sued if you’ve signed an NDA…

• reactorfuel

No, the NDA is only required if you want a chance of winning the lawsuit. If you’re a major corporation with a team of lawyers on staff, it costs very little to file a lawsuit. If you’re a small hardware review site, it costs a ton of money to hire a lawyer to defend yourself, even if you win. If the leakers are bankrupted in the process of winning the lawsuit, the major corporation wins the war anyway.

Even if they decided not to sue, though, it’d be a sure bet that whatever site leaked the numbers would never, ever get any kind of review products ever again.

• Anomymous Gerbil

Huh? The manufacturer has nothing to sue a publishing website for, if they’ve not signed an NDA.

• BKA

Sounds good, I may have to swap my 3870 CF setup for two of those 4870’s. Can’t wait to see what the actual performance is once they are released.

• KamikaseRider

If those numbers are correct i might have to reconsider my nvidia sympathy.

• Joerdgs

All depends on the GT200 performance now doesn’t it? 🙂

• Meadows

Or just wait until nVidia bring out the artillery of their own.

• Faiakes

• Price0331

We will just have to see won’t we?

I never trust speculation until TR does their own testing as well.

But oh how I hate to wait.

• MadManOriginal

In a way the 9800GTX is an old target to aim for performance-wise, in many cases it is similar to the 8800GTX or Ultra.

• poulpy

We’ll have to wait and see but if it’s even only on part with the 9800GTX it’s going to bring some serious competition given the:
      – $250 price tag
      – DX10.1 (aka sweet AA gain when finally used)
      – onboard HD audio
      – 114W TDP

• jjj

if the preformance numbers are accurate too bad the 4850 is not a bit cheaper because the target should be to beat the 8800GT in preformance/price and with many 8800GT models @ 150$ after MIR and the 4850 only 25% better for 250$ the performance/price ratio still favours nvidia and that will stop the 4850 from beeing a big hit at least for now when 8800GT is stil good enough.
        the 4870 sounds good (at least until we find out how good the new nvidias will be) but not that many ppl are ready to pay 350$ for a video card so i don’t see AMD making a lot of money here and $ is what AMD needs

• yehuda

I’d add PowerPlay to that list.

• MrJP

I think that’s a misprint by Cyril. The linked previous article claims that the 4870 will be 25% faster than the 9800GTX, and the 4850 will be 30% slower than the 4870, which makes it 12.5% slower than the 9800GTX if my sums are right. This stacks with the reported specifications and pricing, putting the 4870 directly up against the 8800GTS or overclocked 8800GT.

If the 4870 is really going to be available on June 18th, I might delay my new build rather than go for the 3870 Crossfire setup I was considering.

• echo_seven

I was following you up until the 4870 vs. 8800GTS and 8800GT. Aren’t those cards over two years old?

Sure. Q407 = 2 years ago.

• MrJP

If they are, then TR’s getting very lax with the review dates:

8800GT: Oct 29 2007: §[<https://techreport.com/articles.x/13479<]§ 8800GTS 512: Dec 10 2007: §[<https://techreport.com/articles.x/13772<]§ Your basic point is sound, that ATI are no longer directly competing at the top of the market. I think they're counting on Nvidia dedicating all their new GPU production to the high-end, high-margin, $400+ market and not launching a new upper-mid-range card ($200-$300) until later in the year. The HD4850 should in the meantime provide a fairly compelling, lower-power alternative to the 8800s. If not, then they'll price it to sell and the consumer wins anyway.

• nonegatives

The actual numbers from the referenced article is 4870 is 30% faster than the 4850. The 4870 is 25% faster than the 9800GTX, and the 4850 is 25% faster than the 8800GT / 9800GT.

• MrJP

You’re dead right, and that makes quite a difference. It puts the 3850 much closer to the 9800GTX than the 8800GT OC, which (if true) would make it a pretty good choice at $249. Hopefully they can actually hit the launch with decent availability so we don’t get the intial price-gouging that’s accompanied other recent launches.

• flip-mode

Remember it is a low high end card, not a low mid or a low low card:

high high
      high
      low high / high mid < we’re talking here
      mid
      low mid / high low < not here
      low < or here
      low low < or here

You could even break that down more by splitting the low / high ones

• Meadows

You could keep breaking that down until you reach the very átomos of OEM granularization.

• Cyril

My bad, that was a misprint. Edited.

• yogibbear

Sounds good. Now to wait for the actual benchmarks…

• lycium

i wish performance numbers would include gpubench results for scientific computing folks: §[<http://graphics.stanford.edu/projects/gpubench/<]§