Poll: Do you play games on your PC?

With a war raging right now between the proponents and detractors of the PC as a gaming platform, we thought we’d poll our trusty readers to see where they stand on the issue. The subject of our latest poll is simple: do you play games on your PC at all? We don’t mean killing time at work by playing Solitaire, but our question nonetheless spans both casual and serious games, from N and The Sims to Crysis and World of Warcraft. Feel free to vote either below or on our front page.

In our previous poll, we asked for your definition of the “sweet spot” for laptop display sizes. The results clearly favor 15-15.4″ displays, which garnered a whopping 38% of the vote. The next most popular size was 17″ with 15% of votes, followed by 14.1″, 13.3″, and 12.1″. From these numbers, we can probably conclude that TR readers like their laptops big and favor desktop replacements over sub-notebooks. Only 21% of voters think the sweet spot lies in the 12-13.3″ area, compared to 68% for the 14-19″+ crowd.

• henfactor

4 + 8 + 89= 101 = WTF!

Is my math wrong or have the math God’s decided to have some fun?

• MarioJP

to the poster below. Ya you wish despite of negative things about pc gaming. Its still going to continue. Mass effect is one example and not just a port either. They beefed it up too

• rechicero

Right now, PC is a great choice. Assuming you have a PC, you need only ~$150 to have better graphics than a $599 console.

• a_non_moose

Still play games on the PC and the last console I owned (Nintendo, Atari 2600 before that) was fun, but the next gen came out a few weeks later and I could not “upgrade/return/exchange” + a few extra bucks.

I’ve wanted to play Heretic II a few times, but for some reason it has a 25% chance of running properly on XP. Never found and explanation.

Seems like the choice is buy a new console vs buy a new vid card and both platforms suffer from the “can’t take it with you, sometimes” syndrome.

Then there is “quality” arguments, that for me were cemented by Oblivion:
    PC/Console problems…fixed in a week on the PC.
    Draw distance/image quality: PC’s texture packs and the side by side comparison even at default, no contest.
    Add ons: Get what Bethesda gives you for purchase vs some of the teriffic user created mods out there.

If I know I’m going to get screwed, eventually, I’d at least like to say I somewhat enjoyed the experience, eh?

• ThorAxe

Counter Strike seems to have done alright:

“Counter-Strike, first released in 1999, is the world’s number one first person multiplayer game, generating over seven billion player minutes per month and having sold over “*[

• Richie_G

I still maintain that with the possible exception of driving games, and the Wii, anything can be done better on the PC. I won’t argue that it usually costs more for the priviledge though.

Like Mr. Lombardi said:

“So we’re almost what, mid-way through the console lifecycle now? So yeah, over the next two years the story’s going to come back that the PC is bigger, things like Left 4 Dead and Spore, the id titles are going to come out and everybody’s going to be like, “Wow, those console titles are looking kind of crappy.”

• MarioJP

does not make any sense or what you trying to prove. Enthusiast means its for those people that enjoy the platform. It is the same thing people modifying their cars and trucks. Furthermore Consoles does not classify a enthusiast platform as it is as simple as it can be. Again that link does not make any sense at all

• Mavrick88

Ya I agree with you here. Everyone pretty much knew the outcome of this poll before they voted. This is a PC site afterall…….

Maybe we should see a poll of: “Does anyone like free money?” “Yes, No, or I have so much money it doesn’t matter.”

• jodiuh

I just got back from a LAN party filled with LOTS of sign language and last second saves. Trackmania (free), COD4 ($40), and lots of hi res, 60min FPS good times were had.

Console may have it’s place, but I’m still holding out. 😀

• Nitrodist

No cheese option?

• ThelvynD

Yes, mostly EQ2 and CS. But I do play a few others sometimes as well.

• fantastic

I just got the Orange Box for my new computer. Portal was fun, but I had to cheat a little. I’m no Gordan Freeman.

• ludi

That’s good, because if you /[

• Sahrin

As an Excel junkie/business analyst, I found option 3 irresistible. I play Valve games and RTS’s. There are still some things, I feel, that see better release on PC. RPG’s belong on consoles, however, and that’s where I play them for the most part.

• =assassin=

“RPG’s belong on consoles” What??????? No they don’t, especially with silly gamepads. An RPG’s proper place is on a PC using a keyboard and mouse interface.

• MarioJP

At least the pc’s games installs pretty quick and patches are painless. I just like the fact that PC’s its a true multitask monster. And i am excluding retails because they don’t put value in their pc’s that you buy.

• AMDisDEC

Not since Tribes-2.
    Shazbot, I used 2 kick serious butt in that game!

If Garagegames makes a comeback, I shall again.

Oh yeah, Vivendi and Irrational suck so bad, they screw up a wet dream!

• PLASTIC SURGEON

• Nitrodist

20 minutes!??!?!?!?!?

How can you have time for anything!?!??!

• Mavrick88

Work out for 20 mins during the install. Because Lord knows that you are going to spend countless hours on your new game and your muscles are going to go flabby. Might as well take advantage of the down time 🙂

• SGT Lindy

Another reason NOT to own a PS3. BR is slow. There are no game installs on the 360.

• Master Kenobi

This is because Microsoft mandates that games can’t required a hard drive. The cheapest X360 still has no hard disk and games will never be able to require it. That decision is looking better all the time.

• MarioJP

I don’t think Microsoft will ever abandon windows because its MS. Xbox and xbox live there just tapping into other businesses same goes with the zune and now wants to taps into the automotive field. Windows in your car. MS is becoming a hybrid company for everything. Also don’t forget windows 7 will be coming out in 09 or so.

Pc’s as in general are thriving. the hardware business is becoming very interesting in terms in advancements. I am starting to get into virtualizations and stuff and that is pretty darn sweet. Consoles does not interests me as a multimedia device. Pc’s can be the ultimate multimedia device and then some.

Pc’s deserves more than these %$@ ass companies all cater to $$$. Which is why i am not surprised that open source and freeware is on the rise. Very interesting to see what the future will hold for pc’s.

Furthermore, I also have noticed that Linux is becoming more noticeable this time around. Before it was a joke but now thats not to be laughed at anymore

• clone

this poll is desperately in need of additional detail…. how many hours and perhaps a level of hardware.

FreeCell counts given it’s obscurity.

• Ya'akov

pc gaming with a good video card is awesome. I just put together a new rig with a EVGA 8800GT and it’s better than ever. And I’m in my mid 50’s.
    Never grow up:-)

• WaltC

I’m right there with you…;) Heh…;) I just put together an HD 3870 Crossfire X/Phenom 9850 system and I’m really having a lot of fun with it! If some of my friends and associates are like yours, then you know that sometimes you can hear their arteries hardening even as they speak…:D Not me!…;)

• Pax-UX

It’s now too easy to pirate games on the PC compared to consoles. While the PC is still making money you have to look at the games that are raking in the all the cash, MMOs. Casual gaming is moving away from the PC to consoles and so are the games companies because they believe it’s easier to make money.

Only those hardcore uses are still using the PC as their primary gaming platform. I’ve stop playing games on the PC because it just costs too much money to keep up to date. Crysis would require me to spend about €1000 on hardware and about €120 on a Vista upgrade because I would want to play with DX10. Then I have a look at how many other games are out there that I play? TF2 is about the only other game, but my Laptop can play that with a couple of settings turned down. It’s just not cost effective, before there were lots of games coming out that would be worth playing, now they will come out on the Consoles; plus most games are designed primarily for that level of performance and the PC is more of an after thought coming out a couple of months later.

Now from Microsoft perspective it makes more sense to stop gaming under Windows as they make more money from the Xbox! I think the whole DX10 only on Vista is part of that. They have more control over everything and can make a serious about of cash off Xbox Live. Where or how will MS make money of the PC gaming industry?

“because /[

• rechicero

You don’t need to spend so many money if you want console graphic quality ;-). In fact, at the same price of a PS3 you can buy a better PC and save more buying games ;-).

• Prospero424

I couldn’t even imagine trying to play Team Fortress 2 with a gamepad on a 360.

*shudder*

• ReAp3r-G

most of my favorite games (2142, CnC3 etc.) i play on the PC exclusively…only the games that absolutely need a controller to be fully enjoyed i play on the PS2 or 3

been always playing games the majority of the time on my PC…

but i think there should be an option for no, i play games on a console 🙂

• DrDillyBar

I’ve been playing games on my PC for around 20 years now…

• albundy

not much these days. nv and ati have screwed me for the last time. my ps3 is providing my fun, browsing, and everything multimedia these days.

• dragmor

Yes, but the game I play the most HoMM3 was released in 1999.

• grantmeaname

heck yes!!!!!!!!! Wake of God?

• dragmor

Of course WOG

• MarioJP

I will skip the next gen consoles because i find that pc’s are alot more useful than consoles. why?? because Can you run virtualizations,raid configurations,multiple intense apps all at once on a console?? no. And to add more to that assault you can even game on top of that. mods,user base community such as steam.

Not to mention Freeware/open source software is on the rise which adds another benefit to pc’s

• Pettytheft

I think you completely miss the point of consoles.

• Imperor

I don’t play games, period… But if I did I would definately put money into a graphics card and not a console… Though I kind of got bored with gaming sometime in my mid teens (mid nineties). I have tried it a couple of times since though and I do find a game I like every now and then but I just can’t bring myself to waste all of that time on something that doesn’t give anything back (but waste of time)…

Just imagine how much I learn from sitting in front of my computer and using it for self education (like reading close to everything on TR) compared to ya’ll gamers who spend three days trying to complete some task in a game! Who’ll get the most out of it in the long term?

(Oh, sorry, does Solitaire and Hearts count? In that case I play every now and then while doing other stuff on the rest of my desktop).

• NeXus 6

Gaming is like any other hobby. If you’re entertained by it you get pleasure from it. Not everything you do has to be ‘educational’ for it to have any merit on your life–unless you consider it unhealthy based on some idiotic religious or spiritual belief.

• MarioJP

Consoles games are expensive than pc games lol

• MarioJP

I like to be able to click on the shortcut and just game instantly without having to fiddle with cd’s dvd’s and bluray. I rarely have issues while gaming on the pc. once installed its pretty much enjoyment and thats it. And steam just makes it even easier since steam gets rid of optical disc media. My current monitor can display resolutions up to 1600×1200. And thats way beyond 720p and close to 1080p very close and fact.

I really fail to see the difference

• swaaye

What if, *gasp*, I play both PCs and consoles? Prefer to play on PC because of mods, configurability, hackability, tweaks, control options, etc.

Are there really people out there that ignore either platform entirely? I think that the hate for either side is just knee-jerk childish forum replies, for the most part. With a dash of mindless dumb folks too, I suppose. 🙂

• Krogoth

Sadly, it is mostly older stuff.

The new hotness just does not have gameplay going for it.

• Tommyxx516

This poll is irrelevant. This is a pc enthusiast website. In the past year, I found myself reaching for a console because if their more diverse software selection. There’s nothing like just popping in a xbox360/ps3 game and instantly jumping into the game on my big screen hdtv.

• Kurotetsu

Complete opposite. I have a ton of PS2 games I’d like to finish; Kingdom Hearts, Guilty Gear: Accent Core, Devil May Cry 3, Disgaea, Final Fantasy X and yet they’re collecting dust on my bookshelf.

F.E.A.R., Company of Heroes, Rainbow Six: Vegas, and SoaSE are taking up all my gaming time.

• DASQ

I click a shortcut and ‘instantly’ jump into a game on my HDTV.

I fail to see the difference. I don’t even have to swap DVD’s, which I hate.

• green

the question is would the poll still be irrelevant if the results were reversed*?
      if the answer was yes then i’d agree with you. however…

* reverse of yes / no… not excel

• MagerValp

Hey, don’t knock the Excel flight simulator.

• MarioJP

I totally agree with you. I enjoy gaming on the pc than i do on consoles. Especially if you know what you doing

• djmik21

i play pc games and i think it’s best experience you can get (except if you like a wii or if you’re a pc noob who doesn’ t that a bios flash could make your pc much better)

if you are computer “geek” who know his way around an overclock you could build a pc with pretty much nothin

so a good pc offers many more options that a ps3

• MarioJP

I play and buy PC games

• nagashi

uh… kind of a weird answer over here. I only play console games only my pc. Yes, I do. Extensively. I never use consoles. But I never play games written for PCs.

• BKA

Did you also buy a PS3, install Linux on it and use it only for computing tasks?

Just joking, sorry I couldn’t resist.

• nagashi

Believe it or not, I’m considering it, yeah. I need a new htpc and the ps3 looks like a pretty decent fit.

• indeego

Yeah I just bought GTAIII series a month ago on Steam and have been playing it quite a bit. I like it on console and PC for different reasons. Debating on waiting for GTAIV or to plunk down cash to get it used, then resell the console when I’m doneg{<.<}g

• srg86

I haven’t played any games on my PCs in years. I only play the odd occasional game on my Amiga.

• PenGun

I play on my computer hooked up to my 34″ Sony HDTV. I don’t know how a console could compete for FPS. I don’t play anything without a gun ;).

• flip-mode

Nope. 4 reasons: games are too expensive, constant upgrades too expensive, don’t like the anti-social feel of it, not enough time.

I disagree with #5

• Meadows

I find it’s worth the money when it can kill the occasional stressed state so easily. Also, I’m a WoW subscriber so even if I’m online resting I can socialize, more or less.

• flip-mode

I think it’s worth the money, it’s just more than I can responsibly afford.

• NeXus 6

Constant upgrades seems to get thrown around a lot but I find I can usually go about 2-3 years without doing a single upgrade to my PC. The video card may get upgraded at the cost of around $250-$300 in that time or not. Consoles may have a slightly longer shelf life but in the end you wind up paying out the costs of upgrading a PC in console games if you’re the type that buys a lot of them. PC game prices tend to drop quicker in price, which makes them a bargain over consoles.

For the anti-social feel comment, all I can say is that I prefer to play a PC or console game without any distractions from friends or family. For family and friends, I’d rather break out a deck of cards than be sitting in front of a TV screen.

• flip-mode

The issue gets thrown around a lot because, I suppose, it’s an issue for a lot of people. I tend to like an average min of 25fps and and average fps of at least 40 fps. And I like 1280×1024 as an absolute minimum, and I like to see all the eye candy that a game has to offer. That means to get the experience that I’m looking for I have to upgrade more frequently or else buy games on a 1-2 year lag.

• NeXus 6

Well, that is where consoles fall flat. The video hardware becomes outdated after just a few years and there is no way of upgrading it. For PCs, it’s only expensive when you make that choice to upgrade the video card every year or two. But if you want the latest bells and whistles and higher fps then you’re going to pay to get them.

• ssidbroadcast

Yeah I had a problem. Did it for years, tho.

• BlockheadBrown

I *[

• Firestarter

still playing BF2

• Shinare

Me too, going to a LAN party tomorrow that will be playing BF2 solely.

• Firestarter

Bring a spare mouse, I broke my MX518 last weekend :p

• lex-ington

If the same game was made for the PC at the same time for the console (like FFX or Grandia) and game makers would stop cutting corners (like the crap they called Might & Magic IX), then I would buy every game on the PC.

I think its easier to use a PC anyways.

• data8504

This is a bad poll… the demographics of the response base bias the results tremendously in favor of PC gaming.

• Krazeee

I almost always prefer a mouse and keyboard over a controller for everything but RPGs (FF, Zelda) and Driving (NFS, Gran Turismo). If there is a PC version of something that I want, I will generally choose it over the console version. Not only for the gameplay, but in many situations my 7900GS can give me more ‘prettiness’ than my Wii or PS2.

Long live PC Gaming!

• Vhalidictes

This whole argument is skewed badly. People like to bash PC gaming (is that in fashion these days?) and there are plenty of good points claimed by both camps.

All of them with the qualifier “excepting MMOs”.

Since many of my friends only game on PCs because of one MMO or another, I find that the above “fine print” invalidates the entire discussion.

PC gaming isn’t dead until WOW goes away / mutates to another platform.

Which it probably will at some point. When that happens, the question of PC survivability as a gaming platform will actually matter.

• Meadows

It probably won’t, in fact. And if I were Blizzard, I wouldn’t compete in the console arena with the big others, even though the genre they’d introduce would be wholly new and without direct competition.

I see the agenda at work here, but there’s a difference between “do you play games on the computer” and “do you buy games for the computer.” The last game I bought (and I still do play it occasionally) was the day after Christmas. I still play old games, but I don’t buy new ones generally (until Starcraft II comes out)

• paulWTAMU

I don’t know that it invalidates it. I haven’t bought a PC game since January myself, but I certainly still play them some–it’s just that I don’t go and spend 30-50 on a game every month. Doesn’t mean I don’t buy or play games, it just means I’m not buying them all the time.