Acer ‘Eee killer’ caught on camera

After Dell’s Mini Inspiron, it’s Acer’s turn to reveal an “Eee PC killer.” We’ve been hearing little nuggets of information about the Acer sub-notebook since early March, but UMPCPortal now has photos and a name.

The pictures show a machine not unlike a cross between the Eee PC and HP’s MiniNote, with an 8.9″ display, a glossy black-and-white finish, and a touchpad with its buttons on either side. We can spot a pair of USB ports, audio ports, and one card reader on the left side, and UMPCPortal says the laptop will most likely include an Intel Atom processor.

Supposedly, Acer will brand the machine Aspire One. UMPCPortal quotes a €299 price tag, giving credence to the rumor that Acer will peg the Aspire One at $350-400 in the United States. Such pricing would make the laptop considerably cheaper than the 8.9″ Eee PC 900, which currently goes for $549.99 on Newegg.

• OhYeah

Is it just me or does every other sub-notebook look better than the eee-pc right now?

• gtoulouzas

1024×768 resolution and a 9 inch screen for 300 euros?

I am sold. Asus needs to take a good, long look at the pricing and availability of the Eee, or they will have their golden goose slain by the competition.

• Valhalla926

Wow, a full right shift key. I may go for this over the Eee afterall (though the HP 2133 has one as well). We really need to see a big review for all these subnotebooks to test for usability, portability, materials quality, and so on. Of course, when that review is done, ten other notebooks will have been released.

• Usacomp2k3

Who the heck wants the bottons on the side of the touchpad. Whoever came up with that idea should be shot.

• ludi

I wouldn’t like it either, but it kind of depends on how you use a touchpad. If you’re one of those people who taps to click, it might not be a big deal, since it would mostly affect group-select operations that are kind of painful to perform with a touchpad regardless.

• UberGerbil

Yeah, I’m a tap-to-click person and I tend to use the context-menu-key (assuming the laptop has one, and this one does) for to get the RMB menu, so I hardly ever use the physical buttons. In fact, assuming you use it right handed (or swap the buttons if you don’t) this layout might actually make it /[

• A_Pickle

It’s an Acer.

• soccergenius

I agree that it’s weird if you’re using one hand, but I guess it works if you’re using one hand for the touch pad and one for the buttons?

• ew

Hopefully it actually will kill the Eee so I can stop hearing about it.

• VILLAIN_xx