Steam to store game settings, saves in the cloud

Wouldn’t it be nice if games stored your personal information online instead of forgetting it every time you switch PCs or format your hard drive? Valve seems to think so too, because Shacknews says the company plans to integrate just such a feature into its Steam online game distribution system.

Thanks to Steam Cloud, user save games and configuration files will be stored online “forever.” Steam Cloud will debut in Half-Life, Half-Life 2, and Counter-Strike; Valve’s upcoming zombie co-op shooter Left 4 Dead will have native support when it comes out later this year.

Shacknews says we can expect Steam Cloud to launch in the “near future,” and that the system will be “freely available to developers.” Valve has other new Steam features up its sleeve, too: the site mentions a system-requirement checker that will “analyze your hardware and compare it to multiple games, estimating your performance and recommending upgrades.”

• indeego

I so could have used this playing GTA III//VC/SA over the past month at work and homeg{<.<}g

• FireGryphon

I am very uncomfortable storing my stuff online.

• robg1701

Incase someone finds out just how much you suck at <insert game here> ? ๐Ÿ™‚

• rythex

lol @ recommending upgrades…

“Steam System-performo scan results..”

CPU: Upgrade to a INTEL CORE2DUO available at ยง[<http://www.newegg.com<]ยง Videocard: Upgrade to a NVIDIA EVGA 9800GX2 available at ยง[<http://www.evga.com<]ยง "Nvidia, The way it's meant to be played" etc etc... I wonder if they'll have recommended brands/models hehe

• MadManOriginal

lol @ the 9800GX2 upgrade advice.

• MarioJP

I love steam and now this sweet! And i agree with mrJP because i don’t buy pc games from retail that much. And if its not on steam i can get it online and have it delivered to me

• End User

Steam rocks. I particularly love their backup tool.

At a recent LAN party I brought my secondary system for another person to use. Steam basis game availability on each individuals account and not by CD keys. Once my friend logged into Steam their purchased games were available for them to play. Awesome!

• Usacomp2k3

So when will Steam equivalent come out for software.

• herothezero

This makes no sense to me.

I mean, we all know that PC gaming is dead, right? NPD says so, and they’re never wrong…ahem.

• kvndoom

All your bindings are belong to us.

I like the idea, wouldn’t have to map keys on every computer I use. Would still like the local save option as well, though, especially if I have different resolutions set on different machines…

• srg86

I’d rather be able to save settings to a removable media than in the cloud, I’m not a fan of cloud computing.

• fpsduck

I just having an issue with Steam and the support rejected my suffering.
    Hope I can find the solution … on my own.

• Kurotetsu

Steam is nice but…I still don’t like the fact that it FORCES you to create an account when you install a new game from a disc. Company of Heroes and Half-Life 2 did that and it annoyed me to no end. I mean, what if I didn’t have an internet connection or it was down for some reason? Developers should not be making assumptions like that.

• mongoosesRawesome

Account creation with Company of Heroes is not through steam unless you actually purchased it from steam. It’s through Relic.

• Kurotetsu

I know. I just used it as an example of mandatory account creation before playing.

• SNM

Oh thank god. I actually wondered if this was available back when I first reinstalled HL2 and was mildly disappointed to find it wasn’t. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Thresher

I was very skeptical of Steam initially, but I’ve become a supporter. It’s nice to be able to buy a game without having to go to a big box store.

• Silus

I still prefer the store. Having the option for digital download is great, but as a collector, nothing can replace the retail version to me.

• Xenolith

Yep, big Steam fan here. More time in the basement, and less time exposed to daylight and people.

• MrJP

This is why PC game retail sales are falling – everyone’s buying them on Steam! The only downside to this I can think of is availability of save games if you’re offline. Presumably there will be some form of mirroring between the local and remote server versions of the files?

• Usacomp2k3

I would think there’d be some sort of synchronization as well. Plus, imagine the delays in games like far cry when it is creating the auto-saves if it had to upload the save file then.
      ๐Ÿ˜†

• Ruiner

I can’t remember the last retail copy of a game I bought.
      Steam, D2D, ebay, and used off Hardforum make up the majority, plus a title or two that came with a vid card.

• BKA

Not everyone. I try to stay up on all the latest technology and upgrade my PC quite often. But I still buy all my games (on sale) from local retail stores. I like having the physical media. I also like having the printed manuals, not to mention if I really don’t care for a game I can sell it.

I would certainly consider purchasing games online if they were cheaper than retail stores, but they are always the same price as retail. Not to mention local retail stores usually have PC new releases on sale during the first week and after. Like Mass Effect that was just released, picked it up at Circuit City for $40 instead of the release price of $50. I understand the cost associated with running a game service online but without having physical media it should be a fraction cheaper.

• BobbinThreadbare

They aren’t generally aren’t allowed to undercut brick and mortar stores because the publishers won’t let them.

• firestorm02

Steam is quickly becoming the xbox dashboard of the pc world…..and I like it.

• BenBasson

It’d also be nice if more games auto-detected settings and didn’t screw with the desktop resolution unless absolutely necessary. That, or Steam could provide a common pool of settings that games could draw from with a simple API on first run.

This all sounds like good stuff though.

• Master Kenobi

Very cool what they are doing with the Steam system. Hopefully more developers will take advantage of it.