S3 adds Chrome 440 GTX graphics processor

Just over two months after introducing the first Chrome 400-series graphics card, S3 has added a new, faster variant to its lineup. From the outside, the new Chrome 440 GTX doesn’t look very different from the Chrome 430 GT, with the same low-profile design and cooler. The two cards’ GPUs are both 65nm, DirectX 10.1-capable parts with the ability to decode 1080p Blu-ray video.

However, S3 has outfitted the Chrome 440 GTX with GDDR3 RAM, and it claims the new card offers higher overall performance than the DDR2-powered 430 GT. A chart on its website shows the newcomer yielding a 15% greater score than AMD’s Radeon HD 3470 in 3DMark06 on Windows Vista. For reference, S3 claims its Chrome 430 GT outperforms the slower Radeon HD 3450 by 20% or so in the same benchmark.

S3 has opted to price the Chrome 440 GTX at only $69, making it just $10 pricier than the 430 GT. That’s also about $10 more expensive than the Radeon HD 3470, a Sapphire-built version of which can be had for $59.99 on Newegg. The 3470 has passive cooling, although it doesn’t have a low-profile circuit board design.

• A_Pickle

What about power consumption…?

• etymxris

If it could do 1080p h.264 decoding on Linux with quality open source drivers, I would buy it. Unfortunately, VIA has made little effort to get its proprietary hardware extensions (such as encryption) supported in Linux, even though this would be a big selling point.

From my understanding, the mini ITX crowd is what’s keeping VIA around. And Linux is really big on mini ITX, so VIA’s wish washy Linux support is just shooting themselves in the foot.

• MadManOriginal

Wow, they couldn’t even make up their i[

• data8504

so true.

• Mystic-G

Probably so idiots will think it’s from nVidia

• Stefan

Some more infomation, which I pulled from C’t, a reliable news source: 725 instead of 625 MHz (but frequency for shaders not disclosed). GDDR3 instead of DDR2 (again: frequency?). Cromotion HD 2.0+ claimed to be able to playback two 1080p streams in parallel. Looks like a minor improvement.

• sativa

It would be nice to have a reliable dual dvi card that can deal with 1920×1200 resolutions and aero / beryl for <$50.

• UberGerbil

How’s the Linux support on S3?

• just brew it!

Not sure about this card specifically, but support for S3/VIA GPUs has generally not been very good.

• A_Pickle

Radeon or Intel IGP…

Well, this covers Aero at the very least…

• BobbinThreadbare

I don’t know about the resolution, but the X3100 can handle Compiz just fine. Also, there is no more beryl. It was merged with Compiz to form Compiz-Fusion.

• ecalmosthuman

Go S3! Let’s work on some mid-range/high-end cards now and ramp up the competition!

• herothezero

#2, I agree. I would love for a third or fourth vendor to enter the GPU marketplace.

Much as we all hated the lack of GPU programming standards, I miss the days when Matrox, Rendition, S3, Number9, et al crowded the pages of gaming rags.

• netkcid

I miss those days too…

• delsydsoftware

Number 9…LOL, I haven’t heard that name in a long time. I worked for SCI Systems from 1997-1999, an electronics contractor that built cards for Number 9. SCI really accelerated Number 9’s demise due to manufacturing issues. The last cards Number 9 designed were questionable, and SCI’s quality didn’t help. At one point, the repair line had 2500 bad cards in it’s repair pile, out of a run of 7500 cards. It took months for the systems engineers to work out all the problems. Luckily, I was in a different department with less quality issues.

• divided421

does anyone shopping in this price range care about game performance? its a slideshow no matter which budget card you get. I would think the target audience would be htpc owners looking to get a high quality dvi/hdmi output with fantastic image quality. has anyone known any sis parts to deliver quality anything?

• UberGerbil

They might care about WoW or Sims performance. But I don’t know that many people shopping at this price point are actually shopping for a GPU separately at all. Boards like tend to get bundled into OEM boxes (and your lower tier of no-name OEMs at that), and it is the overall system that is being shopped for, oblivious to most of the specific details. At least that’s what I assume — I can’t recall ever actually seeing a system with an S3 card (at least, not in this century).

(Perhaps something like this gets bundled only for the DVI out, to sell with a flat screen, since the low-end motherboards with integrated graphics often only have VGA?)

• SuperSpy

I would be tempted to buy one of these just to support a newcomer into the GPU arena. However, I have never seen an S3 GPU with drivers that worked worth a crap. =/

• Saribro

+1 on driverissues. On my parents’ box, I have to stick with some ancient driver for the on-board graphics, because any newer can’t bring the display back up when the system comes out of standby.

• Firestarter

I remember that the Savage4 had drivers that worked, somewhat 🙂

At least good enough for me to play Quake3

• Meadows

I want this card so badly.

• DreadCthulhu

Why?? Unless you really need a low profile card, there are Geforce 8600GTs and Radeon 3650s with GDDR3 memory in the $70-$80 range at Newegg, and some of those have $15-$20 MIR. It is nice that S3 is trying to compete (more competition is always good) but they always show up with products that would have been good 6 months ago, but not now.

• Meadows

Sorry, I forgot to add the sarcasm watermark.