Specs for ThinkPad X200, others leak out

What’s Lenovo going to put in its next ThinkPads? We can credit Gizmodo for posting the first report about the refreshed ThinkPad line in April, but props go to Engadget for posting detailed specifications for several of Lenovo’s upcoming notebooks.

Starting with the ThinkPad X200—the 12" version of the ultra-light X300—that machine will have a 1280 x 800 display resolution, a 45nm Intel Core 2 Duo processor clocked at up to 2.4GHz, DDR3 RAM, up to 64GB of solid-state storage, up to 9.6 hours of battery life (with the nine-cell pack), a 1.3-megapixel camera, DisplayPort display output, and a weight of just 2.93 lbs (1.33 kg). Connectivity options will reportedly span WiMAX, Wireless WAN, GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and ultra-wide band radio.

Engadget also has details of the new ThinkPad SL, T, and R series. The SL models will have 13.3", 14.1", and 15.4" display sizes, optional GeForce 9300 discrete graphics, optional Blu-ray, and FireWire. The T series will feature 14" and 15" panels, a choice of 64GB solid-state or 320GB mechanical storage, AMD Mobility FireGL V5700 graphics, and CPU speeds of up to 2.8GHz. Both the SL and T series will also have WWAN, WiMAX, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth.

As for the R series, which has traditionally been more consumer-oriented than its siblings, new models will deliver 14" and 15.4" display sizes, up to 320GB of storage, up to 4GB of DDR3 RAM, and optional Mobility Radeon 3470 graphics. You can see pictures of some of the new ThinkPads in Engadget’s image gallery.

• BobbinThreadbare

Why does Lenovo put professional graphics cards in the T-series?

• Severus

Because the T-series are aimed at professionals.

• Hellion_Prime

The SL looks like its a Thinkpad in name only. No roll cage, no ThinkLight, and all ABS construction. This does not bode well. And a glossy finish? No thanks. I dont want to spend all my time buffing fingerprints off the blasted thing.

Lack of a roll cage design pretty much automatically downchecks it to the “never buy” list in my book.

• Flying Fox

The SL series is a new concept to cater to those who want glossy screens. Kind of like the now-dead Z-series I’m guessing it is an experiment to see if it sells. Those execs who wants to watch movies and stuff may want them, but as the specs said they are not “workhorse” type machines.

• nagashi

I’ve had enough stability problems with my t60 (crashes during dock/undock, overheating, etc) that I think I’ll be giving these a pass…

As for that x200, given the solid state drive I have to think that’ll be priced similarly to the x300. The x300 comes with a bigger/higher resolution screen at nearly the same weight. Why does the x200 even exist? o_O; I’m a bit doubtful about that processor.

• Flying Fox

The X200 is 12″. Some people don’t like the 13.1″. The X300 is actually a bit lighter due to the default LED screen. The X200 by default is not LED backlit screen, and it has the Montevina platform with a supposedly faster processor.

I am hoping they have a follow-on to the X300 (X305?) with a mini-package variant of Montevina.

• d0g_p00p

The T60 series is known to be wonky, and having all the issues you stated. The T61 and up have fixed all those issues. The X200 with a standard HDD fills the spot for people (like me) who want a smaller laptop with decent performance. What’s doubtful about a 2.4Ghz CPU?

• mako

Yeah, it looks like the X200 will be more expensive than I had hoped.

• mad dog

fricking side buttons … these guys are beginning to loose it also … oh well, now I begin understanding prophecies predicting about the end of the world as we know it