Apple unveils iPhone 3G, retail launch coming July 11

Just as expected, Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveiled a new iPhone at the Worldwide Developers Conference keynote earlier today. Named simply the iPhone 3G, the new smart phone boasts an updated design, 3G network connectivity, a built-in GPS, and a drastically reduced priceβ€”just $199 for the 8GB model and $299 for its 16GB sibling.

Judging by Engadget’s account of the keynote speech, Jobs demonstrated the new iPhone’s 3G connectivity alongside Wi-Fi and EDGE in a handful of tasks, revealing performance “approaching Wi-Fi.” The addition of 3G also doesn’t hurt battery life too much: Apple claims the same 7 hours of video playback and 24 hours of audio playback, but with a 300-hour standby time instead of 250 hours. 2G talk time has gone up from eight to 10 hours, while 3G talk time is just five hours, and browsing is “5-6” hours (down slightly from six hours on the original).

The iPhone 3G. Source: Apple.

Along with the new hardware, software took up a big part of the keynote. The new iPhone has full Exchange support, and Apple plans to roll out new services including the App Store and MobileMe, a $99-a-year online service that will store 20GB of user data including e-mails, contacts, and calendars and allow synchronization between iPhones and computers. The iPhone App Store will allow users to download new software, including upcoming third-party apps like games, wirelessly.

Apple plans to release the iPhone 3G worldwide on July 11. The launch will initially be limited to 22 countries, but Apple intends to have a presence in 70 countries over the next few months.

• d0g_p00p

I am waiting for Android-based phones. Until then, my company issued BB and my personal $45 unlimited everything plan will work (with a monthly contract I might add) just fine till then.

• scuba_steve

Let’s see…

– No cut & paste
    – No MMS
    – No video recording
    – No global search (e.g., find “sample text” in every single application in the phone, including appts, contacts, notes, todo items, movie titles, mp3 titles, word documents, etc…and then show me the list)
    – No card slot for essentially unlimited expandability for movies and music while on the road (e.g., vacation)
    – No user replaceable battery
    – No editing of MS Office docs
    – No syncable to-do list application
    – No OS that allows developers to write software and have FULL access to the OS’s API
    – Only one approved source of software…and you must bow down before the Apple to get your software distributed…short of marketing just to jailbreakers.

What is noticeable about these omissions? A Treo 650 that I had 3 or 4 years ago had all of these missing features. My current Treo 700p has all of them and more.

Yes, the iPhone has a screen that is 50% larger than my current Treo, but at the expense of a physical keyboard. I like the keyboard and find movies perfectly viewable at 320×320. Let’s be serious, anything smaller than a TV requires you to just hold the darn thing closer.

Fanbois will tell me that I don’t need the items that Apple omitted…or that the Apple store will bless us with software fixes for one or more of them. We’ll see about the latter. That said, I’m not paying $200-$300 and locking into a contract for two years for what I view as essentially a downgrade to my two year-old Treo.

I am not an Apple basher. In fact, I wrote software professionally (day job…not part-time) for the Mac OS for some time…but this 2.0 release disappoints me.

I am waiting for Android-based phones. They will be here within six months…and will come from multiple vendors. Hmm. How will they distinguish themselves from each other? Oh yeah…that’s right – competition through innovation and phone features…not by blessing us once a year with what they say we need.

Your mileage may vary.

• beetlebud

This is the first iPhone to be released in Canada if anyone cares…

• adisor19

Yeah.. just waiting now for the pricing details from Robbers.. I have a bad feeling that it will be insanely expensive to get a semi decent data plan πŸ™

• Ashbringer

No matter what, nobody wants to dump their current cell phone company to get a iPhone. Unless you’re a Apple fanboi.

• adisor19

Spoken like a true CDMA cell user. Tell that to the thousands of pple that have already switched to ATT or that bought an iPhone, unlocked it and used it with their non raping GSM provider.

• A_Pickle

Spoken like a true Apple fanboi. Oh, wait…

My Sprint PPC-6700 and I are getting along fine, at $25-a-month, thanks. I actually completely ruined my first one, and Sprint replaced it with a brand new one for $35, despite the fact that I had neglected to purchase a warranty.

I’m not switching providers. That actually really made me like being on Sprint, it was damn fine service, and I feel inclined to stick with their business, the devil I know, because of it. Apple has a long and sordid history of playing the “lock-in” game, and until they ditch that philosophy, their products can go straight to the dustbin.

• Usacomp2k3

I’m happy with Spring myself as well.

• ssidbroadcast

With the notable exception offered by *[

• A_Pickle

Believe me, that I’m happy with Sprint means only that I hate them less.

I think that the iPhone is a good phone — but let’s be real here: Windows Mobile beat it to the punch years in advance. I’m not saying Windows Mobile doesn’t have it’s bugs… like all things Apple, Apple controls the hardware and the operating system… where Windows Mobile is available to any hardware company.

I think that the iPhone is probably going to have the same effect on Microsoft as Mac OS X has — motivate them to really start gunning for stability, security, and usability.

• tcunning1

My only reluctance at this point is the carrier, AT&T. After all, this thing is a phone, and it has to work. I had Cingular before and their signal was terrible around Philadelphia, especially indoors in places where my Verizon phone works just fine. Has AT&T gotten better?

• indeego

Only you can answer that. The phones do have money back guarantees.

Where I live Verizon is the best, followed by AT&Tg{<.<}g

• Decelerate

Damn, I wanted n on the wifi.

Now the next ipod touch won’t have n either. Bummer.

• indeego

As a Microsoft (and bit of Linux) shop, we’re looking closely at this. We have not been happy with Windows Mobile, and the userbase is getting restlessg{<.<}g

• SpotTheCat

Is the GPS actually the global positioning system, or is it that cell phone antenna bit thing that isn’t very acurate?

• SNM

It’s real GPS. They’ve had inaccurate triangulation for a while now.

• CampinCarl

Wait, so, I never understood how they got around requiring a 2-year AT&T contract to buy one even though they’re required by law to be unlocked?

• Stijn

I’m wondering how things will work out here on July 11, because selling a phone with a contract is forbidden here (unless they also offer a phone without contract).

• Stijn

UPDATE: Belgium has been pulled of the list with country’s from the ’11 july launch’. πŸ™

• SGT Lindy

Translation, Apple starts printing money on July 11th.

• Nelliesboo

I have an Iphone 8gb right now. I am not really impressed. I have been wanting to go back to win-mo for a while now. Does not look like its better than the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1. Unless the apple store wow’s me that will probably be my next phone.

Β§[< http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/specifications/x1?cc=us&lc=en<]Β§

• adisor19

Small suggestion on my part : wait till the App store is relased to see what will be offered on the table. My hut instinct tells me there will be a boatload of free apps for everyone to enjoy πŸ™‚

Also, why would you go back to Winmo ? I have 2 Winmo phones (even with 6.1) and they are abyssimal in almost all domains, especially webbrowsing.. At worst, i would expect you to go to S60 or IQ 3.0, but WINMO ?!

• Ricardo Dawkins

Xperia and the latest HTC Touch phones are better than that… πŸ˜€

• A_Pickle

Hell, a lot of Windows Mobile phones are really coming of age with the fire under their ass that is the iPhone.

• Nelliesboo

When I said Apple store I meant the app store sorry. Anyways I want win mo back because everything I used to do with all my old win mo phones I have to hack my iphone to do and it gets old after a while. On top of that when you have enough sources installed in installer it takes all day. The app store could win me over but I just hate the way “my” phone is locked down. I can understand having to do work arounds for somethings but “everything”? It’s just a huge pain in the butt. I love movie watching, tv shows, ipod use and the web part. But with all the net books (Msi Wind here I come) the duties my phone has to do while I am on the go will be scaled back a bit. And opera mobile is coming along very nicely.

• A_Pickle

g[

• Hattig

Masochist.

• indeego

Seriously? Sony?

Never again. Probably has a rootkit in its rootkitg{<.<}g

• Thresher

Here’s the thing that hasn’t been mentioned, but is on the fine print of the iPhone page:

Requires a 2 year contract.

This really isn’t a price reduction, it’s a phone company subsidy. I am 6 months into my present phone and wouldn’t mind upgrading to one of these, but I’m stuck for another year and a half. No big deal, I figured this would happen, but I’m just pointing out that this isn’t a huge bargain for anyone.

• pogsnet
      • adisor19

For now, it just supports regular hands free headsets. Hope that they will add BT Stereo headphones support in there soon..

• End User

July 11th cannot come soon enough. I can’t wait to take a hammer to my HTC Touch. Windows Mobile blows chunks!

• adisor19

100% behind you on that one ! My HTC Titan and HTC TyTn phones have been total crapola even with Winmo 6.1. Can’t wait for July 11th ! I am worried though that Robbers will abuse their power and simply continue to rape us with their data plans πŸ™

• Jigar

U guys seriously need to learn using Windows mobile OS… I have apple iphone as well as O2 Atom executive and as far as my experience goes, Apple still needs to learn a lot to make a phone.

• adisor19

You gotta be kidding.. I LOATHE the Winmo phones i have. What’s so good about Winmo ? SOMEONE PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME !

None of our customers at work, like them. In fact, EVERYONE is buying Blackberries. The Winmo based smart phones/PPC phones are outsold by blackberries on a ratio of at least 10 to 1 !

And we often get inquirers about iPhone but however since we’re a Bell reseller, the iPhone will never come here.

• zgirl

I’ve supported several exchange environments with Windows mobile. 5 and 6 have been the best. Exchange support is fantastic. But best not to load them with all the crap that comes on them.

My wife and I both have 2 tilts and they work great. The only issue with it is IE mobile sucks as a web browser.

• indeego

IE mobile sucks. Badly.
            Application support sucks.
            It’s buggy as all hell.
            The hardware sucks (Treo’s in particular, the docking cradle is a POS.)
            The interface sucks.
            Microsoft has been sitting on its ass for too longg{.}g

• zgirl

out of the box maybe. I have HTC hardware. Don’t like palm never have. Application support has been fine, I use an alternate interface. IE still sucks. It does what I need it too and I like it far better then the on call crackberry I am forced to use.

• Jigar

Depends on the your OS feature usage…

1) My scheduler are auto updated as soon as i enter the office (outlook) (Wi-fi).
            2) I receive my emails when i am not on the desk (remote exchange).

3)I do remote desktop presentation with the help of remote desktop.

4) I share lot of files via wireless remote desktop.

5) I can control my system from any where in my office through remote desktop.
            well this are some of the few feature that i usually use and iphone has no use for me here…

• adisor19

You can do that as well on the iPhone using the VNC protocol. Also, all this is about to change come July 11th.

• End User

I use my WM device constantly. WM is a piece of $*@#!

• Nelliesboo

adisor19… The iphone is ok at best. What is best about win-mo is how open it is. Just to get the iphone to do the things my T-mobile dash did out of the box I had to spend about 2-3 hours hacking the thing. “Every” single thing the iphone can do win-mo phones have been doing for years. Yet the iphone can’t even do the most basic things that win-mo phones can. And blackberries are what the iphone should have been. I wonder what is going to happen when the “Thunder” comes out? The Iphone is like walking around with a great looking dumb woman on your arm. She looks great but don’t try to make any real convo with her let alone cook you a meal.

• indeego

/[<"The Iphone is like walking around with a great looking dumb woman on your arm. She looks great but don't try to make any real convo with her let alone cook you a meal."<]/ Sexist winnar of the year awardg{

• Nelliesboo

Thank you !

• ludi

…except you don’t normally get that kind of arm candy unless you’re rich, and plan to talk right past the girl to someone else most of the time. Just like the first-gen iPhone, come to think of it.

• adisor19

Killing me here. Can you be more specific please ?

Give out some of those basic things that Winmo can do and the iPhone can’t.

• A_Pickle

How about the “any .mp3 or .wma can be used as a ringtone?”

• adisor19

That works quite simply. You just have to rename your .aac file or just use a program like iToner to instantly make a ring tone of whatever file you want.

• A_Pickle

I hover click and choose, “Set as ringtone.” It’s tough.

• Da_Boss

Hey I’ve been a Windows Mobile user on my HTC s620 for about 2 months and I really like it. In fact, It’s the only version of Windows I can say has never crashed on me. I’d go as far as saying I liked it better than the BB Curve I used to own. Its not as nice when it comes to sheer ease of navigation, but it’s so much more feature filled. Not to mention Wi-Fi FTW!!!!

• d2brothe

Heh…certainly interesting…if you can get past he noise of the apple fanbois…(not that there are many here….but I know some that are just so annoying). The lack of expansion ports is disappointing, although given that its meant to be a wireless device, I could probably live with it. My one question is however, if I can get an 8 gb sd card for 15 bucks or less, why is it 100 more for the 16 gb iphone.

• mmp121

Because of the fancy apple logo

• adisor19

Because you’re also paying for the freakin LCD, battery, mobo, touch sensors etc etc

• droopy1592

You’re not paying $100 extra for anything other than the additional 8GB, not the other crap… that comes on both phones.

• Xaser04

Which you get on the 8gb model…….

• d2brothe

Gee…I err…dur..didn’t notice it wasn’t a usb key… Yea, that also comes with the 8 GB model, so far as I can tell, besides color options, the only difference between the two is the size.

• Kharnellius

Because, that is what they offer and people will pay for it.

Welcome to capitalism.

• ssidbroadcast

The correct answer to question #19 is d) Welcome to capitalism.

+2 points.

Kharn the Warrior King is on topic!

• albundy

WTF!!! stupid apple, why not lower the pricing on ipod touch? an 8gb already costs $300! still no expansion memory slot?

• Stijn

Since iPod Touch devices don’t come with a two-year contract, it’s not illogical for the Touch to be more expensive than the iPhone, although it is weird to pay more for less functionality off course.

• robg1701

They are still due a price drop though, flash prices have dropped and im sure economies of scale have set in a bit too since they were launched. We know from the BOM lists that apple are making 50% margins on these things at launch, so they must have room for a price cut after all this time.

• mmp121

What, no SD/MiniSD/MircoSD slots ?

Typical Apple thinking…

• CheetoPet

And lose out on charging a premium for more storage? Naahhhhh

• leor

I don’t see aything about stereo bluetooth, was that included in this iteration?

• Usacomp2k3

A rather glaring omission in this day-in-age, IMHO.

• adisor19

I second that. It’s supported in Leopard but no sign yet on the iPhone.. hope they shove it in there before it gets released in July.

• henfactor

Dang, double post

• ssidbroadcast

And yet anyone who wants one will have to quit their current cell phone provider and sign up with AT&T … lame.

• henfactor

Bout’ time! Now we Canadians can get one. Yeah πŸ™‚

• lex-ington

The iPhone doesn’t synch to computers?

I am asking honestly, cause I won’t have one and don’t really follow the tech in that field.

• Cuhulin

It has a new sync setup called mobile me.

How it works is another question, both because it is new and because the related website, me.com, is brand new and doesn’t say a lot about details, yet.

• MildBill

Yes – the iPhone has always synced to a PC/Mac. Each synch counts as a complete backup to. MobileMe is a new “cloud” sync feature.

• adisor19

Not sure where you gathered that, but yes, the iPhone does sync with computers : contacts, calendar, music, movies etc all through iTunes.

WIN

• bthylafh

Cue the screaming from people who just bought an iPhone.

• StashTheVampede

There were *few* that bought iPhone’s, from Apple, or AT&T over the last few weeks — the channel has been emptied of them for weeks.

• Price0331

Exactly haha, why I waited a bit for one that was actually up to date.

Also why I didin’t upgrade to a 790FX due to it’s outdated south bridge, waiting on the 790GX I suppose,

• Spotpuff

I can’t believe how much people were buying iPhones for on Ebay etc. when they knew this was coming.

I am constantly flabbergasted at how much people are willing to pay for something that is outdated but has the Apple brand on it.

• StashTheVampede

Love to see a smartphone that is significantly more advanced than the iPhone, for the same price.

• leor

don’t hold your breath πŸ˜‰

• ludi

I still use a little Motorola prepaid phone that has exactly two noteable communications features: It’s a GSM phone, and it’s an SMS device.

A first-gen iPhone, assuming I actually wanted that kind of (expensive) service, would be an enormous upgrade and I would much rather buy a serviceable second-hand v1.0 unit outright, than go all out on a 2-year commitment for a v2.0 device.