Opera 9.5 dons new user interface, sync features

Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Safari probably get the most coverage as the browser war rages on, but folks often forget about Opera. 12 years after its debut, Opera has matured into a potent alternative to the competition, especially so with the release of Opera 9.5 today.

The new browser in action.

With Opera 9.5, Opera Software has overhauled its namesake browser with a brand new user interface, a faster rendering engine, and some innovative new features. The Opera Link service lets users synchronize bookmarks between different computers and cell phones (as long as those phones run Opera Mini), while the Quick Find feature lets users search their history for not just page titles, but also page content. On top of that, the new browser includes new fraud protection features and a download manager with BitTorrent support.

Opera 9.5 retains some of the goodies of previous versions, as well, such as built-in e-mail and RSS feed support, mouse gestures, a "speed dial" bookmark system, and a tab system with a "trash can," from which users can fish out accidentally closed tabs.

You can grab Opera 9.5 for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and FreeBSD from this page free of charge. Detailed change logs for each version are available from this page, too.

• Philldoe

<3 Opera

God it just get’s better and better and better.

• ssidbroadcast

Amen, brother.

• l33t-g4m3r

I love opera and have been waiting for this to come out.
    It won’t be replacing FF though.
    I have ~23 extensions installed that opera can’t match.
    Opera does have widgets though.

I’ll probably use opera for multiple tab viewing, since it handles that much better than FF, and use FF for when I need to use extensions like flashgot, unplug, colt, MAF and MR Tech.

Woo. Time to update. Been using Opera since 5.

• Dposcorp

I grabbed it already today. I heart Opera as well as FF.

• FubbHead

Me likey…. a lot.

• onlycodered

When in the heck are they going to allow for addons?! That’s the only thing holding me back from switching to Opera!

• ssidbroadcast

Dood, Opera comes with all the addons you need out of the box.

• indeego

a*&^blocking and script blocking?

Same thing has always held me back as wellg{<.<}g

• Prototype

The more people ‘ad block’, the more annoying and obscure ways they are going to find to get those ads to you. So thank you ad blockers for those wonderful little double-underline links that pops up an annoying little advertisement. I was just fine with banners, thanks.

• cheesyking

those annoying double underline popup link things were around long before ad blocking.

Personally I just don’t go back to a site with too many ads rather than use a blocker so the website looses out either way.

• Prototype

Well people with ad blockers just cost them more money than if they didn’t show up. Gotta pay for that bandwidth somehow. So basically non-paying customers are getting product for free. Sounds like a form of theft.

• BenBasson
    • Norphy

The OSX version’s theme looks a lot better than the Windows one does. That’d probably look better with Vista but looks really out of place under XP.

Other than that, I like it. It’s a big improvement

• ssidbroadcast

Check out the mirage_m6 theme, it is ssssssssslickkkk.

• Mourmain

I just tried it (on linux) and I hit a dealbreaker, which I couldn’t fix after 20 minutes of trying real hard.

I’m used to viewing pages at 120% zoom (I have a 1600×1200 20″ screen). Opera resizes images and text, while Firefox does only the text. That would be fine if Opera didn’t use a crappy nearest-neighbour algorithm for the resize, making ALL graphics look like this:

§[< http://www.t-i-w.com/MYFXJ/project_files/image_resize/thumbs/ps_step_nearest_neighbor.jpg<]§ I hear that's not a problem on Windows but... too bad.

• Lord.Blue

I just want a new version of Opera Mini for the Wii – one that supports flash!

• jstern

Used Opera for a while, really liked it, but some of FireFox’s addons are phenomenal and makes surfing the world wide web a little less stressful.

• d2brothe

You find surfing the web stressful????

• jstern

I have issues I find many things stressful, so little things like blocking adds and making pages load almost instantly and not in 5 to 10 seconds is very much appreciated.

• Hdfisise

ah they still don’t allow people to middle click the bookmarks. Even though I still use Opera this always bugs me. I should really write it on their forums or something.

• d2brothe

What does the middle click on bookmarks do?

• Saribro

Open in background tab.

• Saribro

Yeah, not from the menu, only from the panel. I occasionally forget about that too.

• Hdfisise

Turns out you can hold shift and tap left click it’ll do this anyway. It’ll just be nice if middle click did it :\

• Voldenuit

You can also middle click from the bookmarks pane, which I find more powerful than using the bookmark menu anyways.

EDIT: #17 beat me to it :p

• ssidbroadcast

Wow. I guess FF3 had a short run on my comp.

• Stijn

I’ve just installed it and it’s quite fast. Font rendering is also better than IE and Safari IMHO.

• boing

This one is the shit! It works awesomely and is alot faster than v9.2x. Thankfully they fixed the bug from 9.5 beta where it made Opera suck 100% CPU time.

• bhtooefr

And just as I was considering switching away from Opera due to 9.2 being dog-slow with AJAX.

Getting used to the UI changes… but I like it. 🙂

(Now, just need to make Opera Mini run better on Palm OS. Ha. Like that’s going to happen, considering the JVM’s no longer in development.)

• d2brothe

Still have that issue on google reader, although thats the only one I’ve come across so far.

• albundy

getting better…hard to beat those FF addons though.

• xmz

maybe you’re right (not a big fan of FF myself), but you don’t have to look for those add-ons for opera to make FF as functionable as opera though

• StashTheVampede

Touche.

Show me the “ad blocker” add on for Opera that is AS COMPLETE as the one for FF. Opera’s current implementation sucks and all methods I’ve found aren’t as easy as: install plugin, restart browser.

Two other gripes I’ve had: numerous sites’ JavaScript gave me issues in Opera. With IE and FF, it “just works”. Yeah, that’s lazy, but that’s the simple truth.

Last, but certainly not least, with JavaScript blocking enabled in Opera, there are numerous sites that simply won’t work — it’s because Opera has issues with the third party js pieces. I can easily enable the domain on the allow list, but through a chain of js implementation, Opera will still fail because it never knows what other sites to let me allow. With FF, it’s an add-on, but that add-on WORKS (noscript). It finds the third party domains and lets me select them.

There are plenty of things I *do* like with Opera (over FF).

• Prototype

Blocking Ads means that you’re blocking revenue for various websites, like Techreport. Most sites need that money to pay for their servers and editors. Personally I’d rather deal with a few banners rather than having to pay a subscription fee for all the websites I visit.

• StashTheVampede

I’m not disagreeing with that statement. My point was how simple and complete the add-on system for FF is compared to Opera.

• Usacomp2k3

That almost makes me want to try it out.

• BobbinThreadbare

You don’t really lose anything by trying for a few minutes. I can never get past the interface. It’s just so different from everything I’m used to.

• Usacomp2k3