Stanford releases beta Nvidia folding client

At last, Stanford University has released a beta version of the GPU2 Folding@home client for Nvidia graphics cards. You can grab the client from this post on the official FAH forums, although Stanford’s Adam Beberg suggests users closely read the FAQ page to familiarize themselves with the software first.

To run the Nvidia GPU2 client 6.12 beta 6, you’ll need one CUDA-capable graphics card—typically anything in the GeForce 8, GeForce 9, or GeForce GTX 200 series—and a 32-bit version of Windows Vista or Windows XP (no 64-bit, Linux, or SLI support yet). Stanford mandates the use of a CUDA-capable ForceWare driver (version 174.55 or later), which Nvidia offers on this page.

This being a beta release, Stanford also warns that it expects to find "bugs, flaws, problems, etc," and it recommends that users back up their hard drives and avoid running the client on "any machine which cannot tolerate even the slightest instability or problems."

Those who give the client a try anyway will find something similar to the PlayStation 3 client, with a real-time visualization system that shows simulated proteins. Gamers may not have to worry about performance problems, either. The FAQ explains, "Playing videos and playing games either have no effect on the action of the GPU client other than a slow-down in processing, or cause a temporary suspension of folding. The new client will automatically back off whenever an application requests exclusive DirectX mode."

You can check out the experiences TR gerbils have had with the Nvidia GPU2 FAH client in this forum thread. As always, feel free to fold for TR by joining team 2630.

• moritzgedig

I just read through the postings for the preliminary benchmarks on nVidia cards and got the impression they are better Points / Investment wise.
    the Gf9600GT isn’t more expensive that the HD3870 and gets much better score. What have you found out?

• kitsura

Just a heads up. The GPU2 client can run on other versions of drivers apart from the the one found in nVidia’s CUDA site. I’ve been running on the client on 175.16 for more than 24hrs now and it runs fine.

• matthewcollin

I’ve been folding with the GPU2 client on my Asus G1s (8600M GT/256Mb) for about 24 hours now. Running 177.35 drivers and have the GPU set at core/shader/mem clock at 200/400/240 (respectively). So far it’s run well and is noticeably faster than folding with the CPU.

One problem was updating the drivers wreaked havoc with the GPU clocks initially. Even with Vista set to max battery life, the GPU was running at full steam while folding. Good for points, bad for battery life and heat. Hence the reason I used RivaTuner to slow things down a bit.

• Convert

Hmm, I wonder if my 9800gtx + quadcore = ownage? Guess I will have to give it a spin this weekend.

• Jon

What kind of performance can one expect out of a 8800GTX?

• TheEmrys

I get 3600+/day out of a 9600GT. You should get higher. Closer to 5k/day.

• Spotpuff

Anyone have a handy chart or graphic that shows relative performance of a CPU (per core), GPU and PS3 folding power?

• cobrala

I might misunderstand what you’re looking for but does this answer the question:
      §[<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:F%40H_FLOPS_per_client.svg<]§ ?

• Spotpuff

No that’s what I was after; looks ok. I was looking for other stuff too like relative performance vs core2 duo but it looks like I found it elsewhere; PS3 was like 9x a C2D and GPU was 19x a C2D.

Yikes.

• cobrala

Since I’m not knowledgeable enough with F@H I can say I have noted in my logs a difference of UP TO 60 times for my 8800U vs. my Quad6600 – but that’s apples to oranges because I don’t know the WU types, etc.

• bowman

64-bit support is fine, just not official. You need the 177.35 drivers, and if you don’t have a GT200 card you need a modified .inf to make them work with older cards.

There’s a thread called ’64-bit workaround’ in their forum, it details everything.

Vista64 here, running client 24/7 on an 8800GTX, it’s utterly stable. Can play TF2, 720p movies, everything, no problem.

• drfish

I can confirm this works. 🙂

• Hdfisise

If only the driver was available for the newish cards :\
      EDIT: poor typing >.>

• cygnus1

i can confirm this works as well, but gonna have to download riva tuner to check out temps since this 177.35 driver doesn’t have overclocking or fan control options

• cygnus1

temp only goes up a little over 40c, tops out at 44c

my palit 9600gt kicks some serious ass, getting 3500+ ppd with it

• Gerbil Jedidiah

Forge has been trying this client out on his system:

§[<http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=25710<]§ I forget what card he has.

• Forge

8800GT SC model, 650/950 default clocks, rather than vanilla 8800GT 600/900. Also a big gnarly 8800GTS cooler.

I was nailing 3K/day with ease, switched to the 177.35 and was headed towards 5-6K/day, and then the WUs ran out.

Now on a 4850, so we’ll see once more WUs are dropped on me.

FWIW, the viewer didn’t work right on my GT and it had some issues with switching from F@H to video/3D. The 4850 is just idling on a Gromacs, but speed looks real nice, video/3D not a problem, and the viewer works 100% now.

This is all XP64, 4GB DDR2-800, Q9450@3.2GHz.