Gigabyte unleashes 8.9-inch touch-screen laptop

We first caught a glimpse of Gigabyte’s M912V laptop a month ago, when pictures of a mysterious tablet-style sub-notebook first hit gadget sites. Today, Gigabyte has finally shed light on the system, publishing a press release with details and pictures.

As rumored, the M912V features an 8.9″ touch-screen display that can rotate 180 degrees and fold onto the keyboard—just like on a regular tablet PC. At 1280×768, the display has a higher pixel density and slightly wider aspect ratio than 8.9″ panels on Asus’ Eee PC 900/901 and similar laptops. Gigabyte also says the display has LED backlighting.

Gigabyte’s M912V with the display twisted (left) and folded (right). Source: Gigabyte.

Among the M912V’s other attributes, Gigabyte lists a 1.6GHz Intel Atom processor, 1GB of DDR2 memory, a 250GB 2.5″ Serial ATA hard drive, 802.11g Wi-Fi, an ExpressCard slot, optional 3G mobile connectivity (HSDPA), Bluetooth, a 1.3-megapixel camera, and a 3.5-hour battery. The diminutive tablet PC runs Microsoft Vista Home Basic and weighs in at 2.87 lbs (1.3 kg).

If a report by PCLaunches.com is accurate, the M912V will reach store shelves this month at $699. That price tag will position the system well above vanilla 8.9″ subnotebooks, but in the same range as Asus’ 10″ Eee PC 1000 series. (Thanks to DailyTech for the link.)

• MadManOriginal

It looks cool and the touchscreen could be handy but given the recent huge comment thread about aspect ratios…

WTH is up with the 5:3 ratio this thing uses??

• Furen

Looks close enough to 16:10 to not make much of a difference… I suppose it could make a difference in games that do not support the resolution but I think gaming on an Atom notebook wouldnt be that pleasant of an experience to begin with.

ps. I think I’ve seem this resolution on plasma HD TVs…

• continuum

16:9 would be 1366×768, so not quite. Close though.

• Trymor

Getting closer… keep trying everybody!

• dragmor

1) Give it 40GB of SD/Flash instead of the HD
    2) 2GB of ram
    3) Vista Home Premium (I’d prefer another OS but Vista has good recognition for tablet functionality).
    4) Lose the gloss

• MattMojo

Pass…. $700 is way too much to pay for a computer that uses components that are meant for the “cheap” ultra mobile arena.

Mojo

• Forge

Wow. That’s very comparable to my much loved Thinkpad X41t. The screen res is up, and capable of full 720p. I don’t know if a 1.6GHz Atom is up to the task, though.

At 700$ it’s really nice. 8.9″ screen sounds a tad cramped, though.

• bogbox

Windows 7 anyone?
    This is a perfect example for MS to show Windows 7 logo on it.Doesn’t mater is fully “compatible ” , just put the sticker, like they did with Vista.

• indeego

Yeah Microsoft likes lawsuits. It’s like free PRg{<.<}g

I didn’t know Microsoft owned Gigabyte.

• grantmeaname

I’m fairly sure they don’t </sarcasm>

Wasn’t Intel the one sued over all the vista crap? or was it Microsoft?

• Hattig

At least because of the tablet functionality, once you’ve got your three years worth of use out of the device, you can flip it and hang it on the wall as a digital picture/video frame.

Actually the device looks really nice, not a bad price for what you get. I can even use Eclipse on a 1280×768 screen (just), so I could hack code on the move. Not that I would, being lazy.

• UberGerbil

I’d like to see somebody do a nettop as a “pure” tablet (no keyboard, unless you want to attach a USB one) at the well-under-$500 price point. I suspect Apple is going to do a “Surfboard” version of the Air like that (or perhaps they’ll position it as a supersized iPod Touch) but the price will be considerably higher.

• flybywire

With those features and at that price, it’s very tempting.

• eitje

The press release says it gets a 160 GB HDD.

q[

• eitje

CYRIL – Can you find out if it’s capacitive or resistive?

I mean, they say “touch screen”, but that could still mean that it requires a stylus.

• A_Pickle

Well, that ad seems to imply that it also has the most uber glossiest screen among laptops evar!!!

…or maybe that’s just me. Anyone? Eh?

• ludi

That’s to make sure you can see aallllll of the fingerprints.