iPhone 3G is out at AT&T, Apple Stores

Today’s the day. Just over a year after the launch of the original iPhone, Apple has released the iPhone 3G in the United States and 20 other countries including Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Germany, Japan, Mexico, the United Kingdom, and Finland. Apple later plans to unleash the iPhone 3G into another 49 countries.

In the U.S., the iPhone 3G is coming out in two flavors: an 8GB model priced at $199, and a 16GB flavor that costs $299. The former is available only in black, while Apple has released the latter with both black and white shells. Buyer beware, though: AT&T’s cheapest iPhone 3G plan costs $69.99 a month with a two-year contract, and you’ll want to cough up at least another $5 a month for a text plan. Those rates should make the iPhone 3G more expensive in the long run than its predecessor.

As we reported yesterday, Apple has opened its App Store to let iPhone 3G, iPhone, and iPod touch users download third-party software for the devices. The MobileMe synchronization service was also supposed to launch yesterday, but Apple says that’s taking longer than expected.

Finally, Engadget reports that Apple has released 2.0 firmware for the original iPhone and iPod touch. The company charges iPod touch users $9.95 for the upgrade, but iPhone users should be able to grab the update through iTunes without paying anything.

Update: Engadget now says Apple is having problems with its activation servers. Allegedly, Apple and AT&T employees are either sending customers away or telling them to activate their iPhone 3Gs at home.

• Skrying

I was on the very edge of picking up an iPhone but in the end the contract was to much and prevented me from making the purchase. From my perspective the interface is the only draw to the iPhone, otherwise there have been other phones offering the same features for some time now. If you really needed them you likely had some smart phone already.

• leor

i got my 16gb white one today, and boy were they freakin slow at the apple store. the idea to make everyone activate the phone before you leave the store was really dumb, i bet there are still people online.

• boing

You can add Sweden to the releaselist too.

• crazybus

q[<...or telling them to activate their iPhone 3Gs at home.<]q Does this mean can walk into an Apple Store, buy a subsidized iPhone and walk away without signing an AT&T contract? I think I'd prefer that to an iTouch.

• StashTheVampede

Nope, you already agreed to the contract before you leave the store. I’m in the same boat: have the contract already signed, but haven’t done the at home activation.

• TheEmrys

My only honest gripe with TR is that they feel compelled to talk about the iPhone. Its the only freaking phone they have announcements about, and there are heckuva lot of them. Sure, Android is a glint in the milkman’s eye and gets mentioned occasionally. I’d rather phones would get ignored. And yeah, I know, its more than a phone. But there aren’t a whole lot of PDA or mp3 player (since Zune) announcements that garner front page attention.

• FubbHead

I agree. It’s still a phone, and no other similar gadgets get that attention from TR. Either get into the whole genre, or just drop it.

• Thresher

While I can understand your ennui with the whole iPhone thing (God knows, I’m tired of hearing/reading about it), I think the iPhone might be something different.

This thing is possibly what the whole smartphone/network computer thing is going to look like going forward. No other smartphone allows end users the flexibility, ease of use, and the ability to add applications like this. Network computers are too much computer and not enough gadget. The iPhone seems to get it just about right.

Only thing holding it back, IMO, is that it’s tied to a single network vendor.

• green

agreed. not really becaused i dislike the iphone
      more because the last article posted was july 1st
      meaning there hasn’t been much else to do around here

• ludi

And what is wrong with that?

Apple is a computing technology company with a remarkable knack for dictating the direciton of a market. Apple didn’t invent the portable MP3 player, but they were the first to make it a household device. Apple didn’t invent downloadable music, but they were the first company that broke the major labels’ “Eek! A mouse!” attitude toward it. Apple didn’t invent the thin-n-light notebook concept, but they were…ah…okay, bad example.

But the point is, what Apple does in the consumer electronics marketspace is relevant, love it or hate it. So instead of complaining about TR spending the massive resources of a /[

• TheEmrys

By your logic, we should be awestruck by every GE washing machine.

• StashTheVampede

Got the phone, yay. AT&T could have handled the lines better by giving out a voucher.

• ssidbroadcast

After doing some thinking, I’ve come back to my original conclusion: iPhone? Cool but not worth the cash. Touch iPod + keep using your current phone? Better, more affordable idea.

• nagashi

Maybe some of us specifically *want* to get rid of our current phone. One more device to sync/charge, one more charger, one more set of headphones laying about, etc.

• Usacomp2k3

Why would you need to sync your phone? And why would you need headphones for it?

• nagashi

Syncing your address book and calendar is pretty darn useful. As for headphones, I spend maybe 5 hours a week on conference calls. Headphones are a necessity. It’s that or shitty speaker phone, which doesn’t work so good with any kind of noise in the room; or holding my phone up to my head for a solid hour per day.

• A_Pickle

I’m very much inclined to agree. I want one device in my pocket — and I want it to be like a computer. I want to be able to sync my contacts from my phone to my computer, so that I can be certain that when I need to e-mail someone on-the-go or from my desk — they’re in my contact list.

I want to be reminded of an upcoming event, on-the-go or at my desk. I like synchronization.

But then, I’ve got a WM5 PPC-6700. I’m doing just fine. 😀

• dmitriylm

There are many reasons for sync and headphone capabilities. Aside from saving contacts and calendar information, I also transfer applications/data back and forth between my phone and computer.

• ssidbroadcast

I got your back on this one, Usacomp.

I got two devices in my pockets. My phone (razr) in the left pocket, and my iPod on the right pocket. If I had a Touch iPod, it would replace the current right-pocket iPod. I have earbuds plugged into the iPod. _[

• dmitriylm

Right, because I’m going into my business/board meetings with an Ipod in my pocket. It would make much more sense to have your contact (you know, the people you call/email) and calendar information on your phone. My phone also happens to support mp3 playback (with an SD expansion slot) and web access (great for Phone-As-Modem use on my notebook). I couldn’t ask for a better all in one solution.

• ssidbroadcast

Different strokes for different folks–I can see the advantage of having your phone numbers automatically being in your Address Book.

• sativa

blackberry + bes = wireless sync 😀

it’s farking cool. literally if i add a contact in outlook, within 20 seconds it appears on my phone. pretty nifty.

• adisor19

The iPhone does the same thing with : MobileMe(if they ever manage to get it up and running) and with Exchange support 🙂

Adi

• sativa

let me know when it happens 😛

• Corrado

BES costs money. ActiveSync does not.

• albundy

my Instinct tells me to laugh at the people standing in line…so I laugh and laugh, cus they will never have my features.

• ssidbroadcast

q[

• albundy

chubby? dont think so. actually, i think the Instict is thinner than the iphone. and for it being short, i’d have to measure both cus i think they are both similar in height. and as for ponytails, i’d leave the freaky fetish up to you. i like my “equipment” un-hairy.

• ludi

The new pricepoint is more in the range of what I could afford, but $70/month for service? I don’t care if it starts walking upright and shooting lasers on my behalf, that’s just not going to happen.

• albundy

actually I also was forced to go elsewhere due to the pricing. wish I could say that I can look back and see what i’ve missed, but thats just not going to happen.

• Corrado

Try getting a plan with unlimited data on ANY carrier. Its going to be more than $70. I have my Verizon plan with the lowest voice minutes (450), unlimited data, tethering and the middle SMS package and its $105 a month. Before Vz, I had TMobile. 600 minutes, 500 sms, and unlimited data (tethering was free) and it was $85 a month.

• Lord.Blue

They seem to be having a lot of trouble activating the new phones.

• wingless

AT&T has the slowest 3G network. It runs at dial-up speed most of the time for me on my Blackjack II. I hope they improve their network ASAP. Maybe they’ll get enough complaints from these new iPhone users they’ll make the change.

• tomjleeds

This is a key thing for me as a UK citizen, rather than a US one. Here, EDGE is rubbish – slow, poor coverage, etc. 3G, on the other hand, has been widespread for years, and gives a true mobile internet experience.

I had (have) the original iPhone, I was queued up like a loser outside the store yesterday morning at 6am for the new one, and I don’t regret a moment.

• Space Bags

New name, same gimmick (I’m making reference to things like pricing, 3G coverage, etc.) If anyone here reads engadget, you’ll see that their entire front page is full of Apple fluff.