You know, our podcast is pretty OK, really

Did you know we have a podcast?  Seriously, we do.  In fact, we’ve recorded quite a few episodes now, and I think we’re getting better at this.

We still need two things, though.

First, we need those of you who simply don’t listen to these here newfangled podcast thingies to give our version a whirl.  If you enjoy reading the site, you might be surprised to find yourself enjoying the podcast.  These things are ideal entertainment for when you’re otherwise occupied but not fully engaged—say, when you’re exercising, doing yard work, commuting, or just out on a date.  It’s great to have something to listen to while you pass the time, and if you’re into computers, hey, it’s probably better than another hour of sports radio or an extended NPR feature on how a Nicaraguan woman found self-actualization by aiding the Sandinistas.  At least download the file into your MP3 whatchamagizzer device (or just hit "play" in your web browser) and give it a try.

Second, we’re still looking for a podcast sponsor to keep this thing going.  We aren’t asking for much, but we need to pay the bills, so we’re willing to offer a title sponsorship, like a radio show would do.  We’d also offer air time between segments for commercials, and we’d even help produce the spots if needed.  On top of that, we’ll force Jordan to voice cheesy endorsement segments for you, which is totally worth the price by itself, just for the comedy value.

If you are (or your employer is) interested in sponsoring the podcast, please shoot us some email and we’ll talk turkey.  Thanks.

• Prospero424

I simply don’t listen to audio podcasts. I’m not saying they’re bad, I’m not saying other people shouldn’t enjoy them (they most certainly should!), I’m just saying I don’t normally consume non-musical audio content and that I’m probably not alone.

A video podcast, I’d be ALL over. I used to watch the Lab with Leo three times a week, but that show ended and I’ve been looking for content to replace my tech video fix. TekZilla and DL.TV and CrankyGeeks are nice, but they’re only once a week and aren’t as consistent in their coverage as a site like this with the talent it has could be.

Now, I know video podcasting (in a non-embarrassing manner, at least) is expensive and time consuming, and I totally understand not wanting to get into that game. It’s a big damn commitment.

I’m just saying that I would watch every single episode without fail 🙂

• TechNut

I listen to the Podcasts regularly. I think they are pretty good and the commentary and analysis adds a dimension to the stories on here that you won’t get from just text.

That said, a few of suggestions,

1. Please try to get the time down. For a weekly Podcast that’s 1:47, man, it’s too long. I found between 1:10 and 1:20 ok for the weekly version. I was willing to listen for a couple hours for a monthly update, but, not that much time on a regular basis. I listen to TR to pass the time when doing other tasks (as Scott has alluded too, but not my wife!).

2. Invest in a good international long distance plan for Cyril and let him use a real phone to participate in the show. There are times when I can tell he’s using Skype and it sounds like he’s underwater i.e. voice distorts and his sound gets muffled. This is a absolute must if you want someone big to sponsor the show, it raises the production value. When he goes underwater with Skype, I often wonder what he’s doing when he’s recording the show.

3. I wasn’t really interested in listening to 25 minutes of guys talking Folding. I’m hoping there’s not a follow up either (please, please no!) I’m sure some people want to hear about how uber cool it is to fold and how whole IT departments can help TR, but I felt that it was filler, with no meat. If you want to have community segments, try working on the content for them so it’s more applicable to everyone, else you run the risk of people fast forwarding through your content and that’s bad for advertisers and TR since it muddled your message.

Otherwise, I’m pretty happy with the Podcast. It reminds me of the days when the Slashdot guys would collaborate with TheSync and do their bi-weekly (for a while at least) audiocast… (back in 1997!!). I really enjoyed that type of commentary, and I think TR has done a great job at recapturing that.

I think that TR can pull off a Podcast because of the personalities and the writing skills of Scott and the team. When I want a honest, from the cuff, sincere commentary or review TR hits the spot. Plus who can argue with them when they use a Canadian quarter and I’m Canadian.

Keep up the good work guys.

• Usacomp2k3

Easy fix: Only listen to the first 70-80 minutes! That way those of us who can’t get enough get as much as we want, and those that can only take a certain amount can hit stop when they reach that threshhold.

• TechNut

Well yes.. but that’s not the point. If TR is working on advertising, having folks not listen to the whole Podcast, hence skipping content and skipping ads is bad for business.

There’s no easy fix to the time length or some of the content issues, since we’ll all have different opinions of what is a good length or good content. The joys of diversity 🙂 It’s a matter of striking the balance, and I’m sure the TR team will do that.

• FroBozz_Inc

I prefer them to be 1:20 or so tops – no bigger then a CD-R for those of us w/out an MP3 player. I typically listen to these when driving. I prefer burning the .M4A files so there are chapters.

• jdrake

I’m not sure you realize what international phone sounds like compared to skype….. I’ll do a test for you one of these episodes so you hear the difference. Despite occasional voice distortion – skype sounds WAY better than using a phone line – every time.

• TechNut

Jordan, thanks for the reply!

I look forward to your test. I’ve worked in corporate environments with landline and VoIP for conference call style dialing for many years. I’ve found on the landline side that headset/voice piece quality is essential. A normal hand held phone = lots of suckage. Maybe a good Plantronics headset would help? I know that landlines can sound a long way away, but a good headset can help that out.

For Skype and other VoIP, I use it all the time. I agree the call quality will be a lot better (clearer and louder)! I found that with a consumer level DSL/cable modem and using Skype/VoIP services, the underwater distortion can happen a lot. The last time I moved, I tried consumer level DSL from business level, and my calls where pretty crappy. People would hear the water sounds and distortion from my VoIP calls and there was just me using my Internet connection. When I switched back to the business class service, the problems went away. Does Cyril have that option? That might be a lot better than the international phone call. Where is Cyril from anyhow?

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

• ucisilentbob

The Podcast is good stuff. I like hearing the voices of those I’ve been reading for so long.

The moment the podcast comes out, i’m listening to it as i’m rolling through the shortbread.

• flip-mode

I don’t even listen to music.

• clone

change the name of your PodCast so it’s not proprietary allowing it to stand on it’s own while linked on your homepage, then try to sell for a minimal cost to other websites as a service with a link on their mainpage…… if this works you’ll boost your listener base by leaps and bounds, take those stats to advertisers……. the bigger the number the better.

• matnath1

It would be great to have editors and writers from other hardware sites on these..

I’d rather listen to Scott debate Kyle than Obama VS Mc Cain.

• MadManOriginal

I’m sure podcasts are nice and all but dang they’re long, even broken down in to segments. I tried to listen to the latest one but just got bored when I realized pretty much the same info is in articles I can read in a fraction of the time so I still prefer to read a written article dagnabit…now GET OFF MY LAWN!

• aleckermit

I am a more visual person that likes to learn and be entertained by sight. If TechReport would start doing video reviews and video conversations I would definitely watch them…

• fpsduck

Still no Ronald Hanaki in Podcast ?

• Forge

Cheesy endorsement segments? Good radio voice? Give Forgie a call.

• mattthemuppet

never listened to one – will try later and see what I think.

• Hance

I had never listened to a podcast in my life until TR started theirs. Now I have half a dozen I listen to on a regular basis. I even ended up with a 300 dollar whizbang touch screen mp3 player thingy just so i can listen to podcast on it.

Scott is right give the podcast a shot more than likely you will like it. I had always pictured podcasts as being for snobs who liked to hear themself talk but the TR podcast just isnt that way. The podcast is really the week in review of whats been going on at TR so its a great way to catch up on the latest news if you dont hit the site on a regular basis.

• Neutronbeam

Scott, please practice your marketing skills a bit. “You know, our podcast is pretty OK, really” isn’t a deal closer–heck, it’s not even a deal /[

• JdL

I disagree — I think his tone really represents what TR is, and I mean this in a good way. It’s down-to-earth and approachable.

• ssidbroadcast

I 2nd that.

• jobodaho

Thirded…If you have been reading for awhile, you get it.

• Creamsteak

Fourthed. There’s value in humility.

• ssidbroadcast

Not to mention it’d be a huge turn off if their marketing approach was the all-too-familiar traditional “talk-it-up” way. Ugh.

Self-effacing ftw.

• BobbinThreadbare

I would say ssidbroadcast is on point, but JdL was there first.

• eitje

who says he’s trying to market his podcast?

if he is, posting notes on SOMEONE ELSE’s website seems like it would get him more attention than what you’re currently advising. 😉

• computron9000

I get exhausted just reading market-speak like that. That might as well be the description for any podcast.

• PerfectCr

C’mon admit it, which of you haven’t listened to the TR podcast while getting busy with the wife?

• eitje

yeah, that’s right! rip off my heatspreader! put a thin layer of your arctic silver all over my core! show me what it means to go dual channel!

…it could last for an hour and forty-seven minutes.

• Darkmage

RAM me till it megahertz!

• FireGryphon

We’re moving to solid state, baby!

• eitje

solid state is so much slower, though.

• aleckermit

Push that RAM in harder, harder, HARDER!!!!

*snap*

• R2P2

I seriously doubt this will be anywhere near as awesome as Penny Arcade’s podcast, but at least you guys have a regular schedule…

1:47?! Holy crap, that like a whole day’s worth of bus riding.

I wish that they had a more regular schedule, that or my aggregator isn’t working right. Penny Arcade’s that is.

• PRIME1

l[<"whatchamagizzer"<]l Bushism?

• pikaporeon

I’ll email you about a potential sponsorship deal whenever my GMail account decides to stop defecating all over itself.

• DrDillyBar

hehe, loving the Damage reporting.

On the subject of a sponsor, why not just rig up a donation system where we can all throw in several bucks to keep the comedy flowing. <insert carrot reference here>

• Xenolith

The patient is running the asylum. Run!

• Smurfer2

But I’m enjoying every minute of it!

How much longer you gonna be running the show?

• lethal

Admit it, its freakin’ awesome :D!.

• Meadows

I haven’t been this entertained in a while.

• 2cans

” just out on a date ” funny as hell .scott you could write for a sit com

• ssidbroadcast

q[

• Krogoth

Dude, the drugs are hammering you! XD

• Helmore

And the Tech gerbils are loving every part of it 😛
      Well I do feel sorry for Damage, but the way the news was brought today was just brilliant :D.

• Jigar

X2, i am loving every part of it …