Lian Li : void your Xbox warranty to avoid heat issues

In a bizarre sales pitch, the folks at Lian Li have introduced what looks like a very nice PC chassis…. for the Xbox 360. Yep, the PC-XB01 is a PC-style mini-tower enclosure intended for Microsoft’s game console. Why would anyone want this? Following their reasoning with me, if you will. From the press release:

The Lian Li PC-XB01 is the perfect complement to the Xbox 360 to alleviate heating issues. The stylish exterior gives your product a sense of class and will fit in with almost any living room environment. Microsoft Inc is very strict on warranties, so it should be noted that you will not be able to return your product if you use the Lian Li PC-XB01 alternative. With that being said, you are less likely to have overheating.

So you’re playing Russian roulette, but the gun has more chambers for the same bullet! Sweet.

The chassis itself does look nice. For, you know, a PC. I would suggest just building a new PC in a nice Lian Li case, but to each his own, I suppose.

• muyuubyou

Looks a lot like a Power Mac G5, which makes sense considering the CPU used.

• Cannyone

I want one! I’ve technically already voided my warranty by using a Nyko Intercooler. And I have to do something because I probably have both a 90nm CPU and GPU. So in order for my hardware to last I have improve the cooling over “stock”. (Oh and that Nyko thing is noisy and vibrates. Especially right after I fire up the Xbox…) This seems like a very good thing for $135. As I’m familiar with Lian Li’s quality, it even looks similar to the case of my secondary system (which is a PC-V600 modified with a Koolance water-cooler in the top). It should even make it easier to retrofit my 360 with a SSD in the future. 🙂

• pogsnet
    • FubbHead

I will probably be friggin expensive… but it’s really sweet lookin’!

• PRIME1

Well it looks like Halo 3 is coming to the PC so I’m already way ahead of the game with my 360/PC Mod.

Not too mention GTAIV, Gears of War, CoD4, etc.

No reason to get a 360 if you have a gaming PC.

§[< http://kotaku.com/5033037/halo-3-coming-to-windows-confirmed<]§

• SGT Lindy

Lol while your playing last years 360 games on the PC (when they come out) 360 owners will be playing what you will play a year from now:)

Have fun with that.

• Meadows

Except the fact that PC games will always have better graphics and more bonus content, have fun with that. They gave better graphics and bonus content with Assassin’s Creed, they will give it with GTA 4, and I’m absolutely sure it will happen with Halo 3 as well (not that I like the Halo franchise, it bores the living excrement out of me).

• SGT Lindy

“Better” is subjective. Sure they will have higher resolutions and perhaps more textures, but HD gaming (1280×720) is “good” enough for most, so “better” graphics dont matter when its only marginally better.

Having the the ability to play the latest games right now trumps better graphics.

More content is another matter. I would say that important to 50% of the people that play games. You got some that will play a game for a long time and extra content is great, provided is good content. Then you have other people that want to play a game when its new, and tire of it 4 months later and move on. Extra content means nothing to them unless its crazy good.

That said, the 360 gets a lot of extra content, example COD4 map pack, good stuff. Oblivion got 3 or 4 add on’s.

• Nitrodist

Especially when that video is upscaled/downscaled from a different, weird resolution. Perfect for the masses.

lol, yes because there are only 4 console games worth playing.

• PRIME1

The ones I listed are in the top 10 for the 360.

I could also list Madden, Bioshock, Oblivion, Orange Box, Quake Wars, Assassin’s Creed, Mass Effect, etc.

• eitje

i want it.

• d0g_p00p

I’ll be picking one up. I have had to RMA my 360 3 fracking times due to Red Ring. My 3 years will be up in November.

• kilkennycat

Surely you get a new 3-year warranty every time you exchange? Seems only logical since Microsoft has done nothing so far to fix the root cause of the failure — excess GPU+CPU heat, plus the inability of the user to access and clean domestic lint/dog-hair/cat-hair clogging the CPU and GPU heat-sinks – drawn into the unit thanks to the 2 (noisy) fans. The few boxes out there that have the 65nm CPU are a little better off, but the GPU has not been replaced yet. Does Microsoft just give the “RROD customer” a re-conditioned unit of unknown vintage in exchange for the failed one ? Or do they repair the original ? Exchange for a reconditioned unit of unknown vintage would be a real downer from the long-term reliability point-of-view and deserves an extension of the user’s warranty.

A PC in a typical household needs a heat-sink clean every six months for trouble-free operation. The Xbox360 has no thermal sensing to shut down the unit when the heat-sinks clog. No point really, since the user cannot access them for cleaning anyway ( without violating the warranty) ……. And the two big heat-sources (CPU and GPU) in the Xbox360 are right next to each other.

The Xbox360 mainboard physical layout was a thermal-design disaster right from the get-go. The GPU/CPU furnace also does a very nice job of baking the immediately-adjacent DVD-drive.

Anyway, when the 3-year warranty (RROD-failure only) runs out and the box fails again, just wait for the Xbox720 with user-upgradeable standard-format hard-disk, Blu-ray drive and a complete package re-vamp to finally deal with the reliability problems. Should not be long coming now.

• marvelous

Why would anyone buy this?

• cygnus1

because guess what… launch 360s will be out of warranty in a couple of months.

the warranty isn’t extended if you have to send yours in, so no matter what, a lot of people are going to have 360’s without warranties soon.

this case will make the whole thing quieter and run cooler, hopefully extending the life of the unit for some time.

• eitje

i like the way it looks, and i’d prefer to have my xbox run more quietly.

• ssidbroadcast

To me it feels like Lian is a day late and a buck short. These would’ve sold better pre-E32007 when it was common to hear people were going through not one, but two or even three RMA processes with their XBOX360’s. IIRC all new-selling 360’s have different airflow layouts, fans, and even a smaller-process chip. In combination with the generous warranty MS provides, it just seems that this is only for the desperate, or as mentioned in another comment, for the shifty types that have already voided their warranty doing *other* things.

• clone

how much are they asking for the cases, it’s not like Xbox’s aren’t coming down in price rapidly

• curls

Great for anyone who has *cough cough* made alterations to their 360…

• FubbHead

Some day down the road I will definitely do that. The hacking geeks are almost there, and there’s already decent Linux support for the machine.

• ecalmosthuman

Lian Li really dropped the ball here – an Xbox 360 case in tower format?? Where’s the media center/home theater component style case?? Something tells be most 360 owners won’t be too into transforming their little console into something that looks like a chunky (albeit high quality) PC.

• DASQ

Heaven forbid.. you… LAID IT ON IT’S SIDE.

• ecalmosthuman

You could do that…IF YOU WANT YOUR DVD DRIVE TO BE SIDEWAYS.

• onlycodered

Amazingly enough, optical drive trays are designed so they can be used horizontally or vertically. How ingenious!

• DASQ

Okay… and the problem with that is…?

• Kent_dieGo

With the failure rate of these things you would have to be nuts to void the warranty. The extended 3 year warranty is the Xbox’s best feature.

• Meadows

And the failure rate was primarily attributed to overheating issues, so it makes sense after all.

• A_Pickle

There’s no guarantee the case would protect it from those issues, and if you suffer from one, given that your warranty would be voided… you’d be SOL. I’d take the warranty.

• clone

leave the Xbox alone until the warranty is up then move it to the Lian Li box.

if you had your Xbox replaced due to failure during the warranty period it’s not like the replacement parts get 3 year warranty’s so it appears Lian Li is releasing these alternatives at the right time.

Pickle their are no guarantees in life but their is prudent planning…… that said how much is the Lian Li case, it’s not like Lian Li has been known for it’s “budget” series cases…… they are usually a high end maker and new Xbox’s are coming down in price fast.

• Usacomp2k3

I thought that a replacement got 3 years form that point.

• DASQ

I think it was just an extension of all original warranties to 3 years, not a brand new 3 year for everyone?

• clone

MS is generous but not that generous, they extended the original warranties on all of the Xbox’s from date of purchase to 3 years.

replacements don’t get brand new warranties.

• zaeric19

Are they available now? I’ve been wanting one since they first showed them off, -[

That’s ridiculous. If I had a 360, I’d want one.