HP orders up Nano processors

DigiTimes says HP has recently placed orders for the new Nano processor from Via. That raises the intriguing question of whether HP plans to use those CPUs in a follow-up to the excellent Mini-Note 2133 or just intends to stuff them into cheap desktops and the like.

DigiTimes doesn’t know, but it does note that HP has already ordered 500,000 Via C7-M processors, which indicates they’re planning to sell half a million Mini-Notes by the end of the year.  That sort of success might spur further consideration of Via CPUs, although the rumblings I’ve heard are not so optimistic. Intel has snagged a long string of design wins for its Atom processors in "netbook" systems from nearly every contender of note.

However, we found that the Nano can be quite a bit faster than the Atom, and it might be better suited to a more full-featured netbook-type system as a result. The Nano is also purportedly a drop-in, pin-compatible replacement for the C7, so making the change should be a snap for HP, too. We shall see….

• wingless

I cant’ wait to see the dual core Nanos in notebooks. Multitasking is so much cleaner with two physical cores.

• Mourmain

The 3rd link in the article is the same as the 2nd!

• bcronce

I wanna make a cheap comp. I plan on getting a Nano and dorpping 2gig of decent memory and an ATI 4870. Atleast I’ll know where the bottleneck is.. ๐Ÿ˜›

• PRIME1

Good for HP, they are also doing a good job of supporting AMD with their desktop and laptop line ups.

It’s nice to see some variety out there.

• indeego

HP buys AMD purely for profit, not for any sense of helping the little guy make it. Public companies don’t work on charity, unless it ultimately benefits their shareholdersg{<.<}g

• Usacomp2k3

Nevermind. you’d think I’d figure out how to use the reply button after all these years.

• HiggsBoson

Obligatory comment about how these things need to be cheaper to be more compelling.

Still a Nano upgraded 2133 looks to be tempting.

• eitje

yep – I’m sure someone’s looking at pin-compatibility with VIA procs and saying “ah ha!”

• Usacomp2k3

My wife wants one.

• adisor19

U sure it’s not an iPod ?!

Adi

• eitje

geeky, non-zealot girls exist.

• ssidbroadcast

As to Dry Land is in the movie /[

• Usacomp2k3

I think my wife’s 200+ piece collection of Star Trek action figures and dozens of tapes with x-files episodes on ’em would disagree with you.

• ludi

So /[

• eitje

i’m docking you on-point privledges for a week, due to the usage of a quote from Waterworld.

And don’t argue, or i’ll just make your punishment last TWO weeks.

• UberGerbil

I’m going to be buying a netbook before year’s end and I’d love to have the 2133 form factor with a better processor. HP has already missed the back-to-school window, but they still have a shot for Q4 if they can get on it (and VIA can deliver).

• Flying Fox

You don’t think you will have problems with the smaller keyboard?

• d2brothe

Lots of other people haven’t?

• AvKn

The Mini-Note has probably the best keyboard of all the netbooks available today, primarily because they made it as large as it can be, considering the machine’s size. Look:

ยง[<https://techreport.com/articles.x/14816/2<]ยง And there's a lot of other things to like about it too. The only bad part is the inept processor, but fixing that is exactly what this news is suggesting.

• UberGerbil

It’s a concern — as FF knows, and d2brother perhaps doesn’t, I’m not “lots of other people” and I consider a fair number of the “full size” laptop keyboards to border on unusable — but as AvKn notes the HP has what looks to be the best keyboard available among the netbooks (and indeed it looks to be better than a lot of “real” notebooks). It’s perhaps the key reason I’m following the HP over several of the other options.

• kccboy2004

There are curiously few posts on the HP2133 on the net. I was quite interested in the 2133 when it launched, but honestly…. I was not attracted by the VIA chipset.

I have recently, in the last month bought:

1. The Intel D945GCLF
    2. The Asus Eee Box.

They both work REALLY well.

Via has some catching up to do….. That Isaiah was too far behind. They should have knocked Intel out of the park when they had the chance.

• Hattig

Intel’s chipset tomfoolery and artificial restrictions on Atom based systems is what is putting me off it as a platform. Nano, on the other hand, will surely soon come on a mini-ITX board with the VX800 chipset and decent expansion.

• A_Pickle

Seriously, man? I really think that Via makes great chipsets… for their own processors. Sure, they suck for AMD or Intel-based platforms, but they’re not so bad on their own.

Their video processing does suck, though. I mean, madly. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Prion

Need to come up with another southbridge already. Don’t I remember seeing this one, complete with half-assed SATA implementation, on K8T890-based Socket 939 boards?

• BoBzeBuilder

I’m considering buying one of these cheap tiny notebooks. I wonder when these will be available…