Catalyst 8.8 graphics drivers become available

Another month, another set of drivers for AMD’s Radeon graphics cards. This time, the new Catalyst driver release bears an 8.8 version number, and it brings a mix of new features and bug fixes. On the functionality front, AMD says users will find the following new Avivo video features:

• Dynamic Gamma/Contrast correction, available on the ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 Series, improves video image quality by delivering more vivid color in content with sharp contrasts and scenes with low and bright images.
  • Improved video presets, available for the ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 and ATI Radeon™ 4800 Series, delivers a newly optimized video presets that users can select depending on what kind of video content they are viewing.
  • Windows XP support: Edge enhancement, which adjusts the level of sharpness of video content and Noise Reduction, which removes ghosting artifacts while preserving details of the original video. The new slider controls can be found in the All Settings page of the Avivo Video tab found in the Catalyst™ Control Center
  • The new drivers also enable support for Hybrid Graphics in Windows XP. AMD’s Hybrid Graphics tech lets users pair Radeon HD 3400- or 2400-series graphics cards with 780G and 780GX integrated graphics chipsets for extra performance and quad-display support.

AMD has squashed a healthy number of bugs this time around, too. In Windows Vista, gamers should find fixes in Call of Duty, Devil May Cry 4, Dirt, Hellgate London, Lineage II, Lost Planet, Mass Effect, Quake 4, Second Life, Unreal Tournament 3, and World in Conflict. In Windows XP, the list of game-related fixes spans Assassin’s Creed, Age of Conan, City of Heroes, Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Lost Planet, and The Witcher.

As always, you can grab the latest Catalyst drivers for Windows Vista and Windows XP in 32-bit and 64-bit flavors from AMD’s Game website. Detailed release notes are up here in PDF format.

For those who like their operating systems free, AMD has cooked up new 32-bit and 64-bit Catalyst 8.8 drivers for Linux. According to the official release notes (available here), the new Linux Catalysts introduces support for CrossFire X multi-GPU configurations, adaptive antialiasing, OverDrive GPU overclocking and monitoring, and Red Hat’s Enterprise Linux 5.2 and 4.7 distributions.

• l33t-g4m3r

I installed these drivers and windows reset my activation.
      ****ing windows!

• Forge

The Linux 8.8s still don’t have the Wine Checkerboard of Doom fixed. Rebooting into Windows is tiring, but I’m actually getting used to it.

13: First Crossfire ever in Linux, and currently 4800 series and two GPUs only.

The one big thing that made SLI on Linux take so long and presumably CF as well is app detection. It’s a little different under Linux, and both CF and SLI rely heavily on detecting apps and changing multi-GPU modes accordingly, often with rendering tricks or restrictions to correct for multi-GPU being so abnormal.

• WaltC

/[

• PRIME1
          • Bluekkis

KDE sux 😉
          §[<http://www.xubuntu.org/<]§

• A_Pickle

But MAN it’s pretty. 😀

• AvKn

Hey, that’s unfair. GNOME with a good custom theme plus Compiz Fusion can be equally pretty. 😀

§[<http://www.ubuntu.com<]§ (For consistency.) I do like Fedora more though. It's better for those people who are quite proficient with Linux already. (after using Ubuntu, perhaps. :P)

• A_Pickle

Oh, I’m not disputing that. Heck, I even think Gnome is pretty good looking right from a fresh install — but I think KDE looks better. 😀

• l33t-g4m3r

any tips for mandriva?

• Crow69

I like Fedora: §[<http://fedoraproject.org/<]§ However, with Fedora you need to downgrade the default xorg server to get the ATI drivers to work. The process at this link will show you how to get compiz-fusion working with the ATI drivers and Fedora 9: §[<http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=189227<]§ §[<http://distrowatch.com/<]§ will show you many Linux distributions. If I didn't already have the Redhat background, which makes Fedora easier for me, then i'd also look into §[<http://www.ubuntu.com/<]§

• sigher

Bluescreens my XP64, good job ATI.

• wingless

My XPx64 works fine with them. Your prob is your system.

• TheEmrys

Good job, sigher

• Krogoth

Did you uninstalled your previous drivers before the new driver installation? 😉

• sigher

Hehe, no I didn’t think of that, and I also installed a nvidia driver at the same time for extra stability, but it didn’t help 😛

Incidentally it reboots when I try to switch profiles/monitors, so if you have XP64 and dual monitors see how that fares for you, then blame me again.
          And I don’t think it’s actually possible to have an user error that makes graphics drivers bluescreen really, what happens is that when I try to switch monitors the screen goes green and weird a while and half the time it crashes to BIOS and the other half it does not, I’ll continue to blame ATI if you don’t mind, but admit that their installer/uninstaller might be part of the whole mess too, which they admitted too since one or two drivers back they claimed to have ‘fixed’ the installer not un-installing properly, which means if remnants are to blame it’s still their fault (although I did in fact after the last time I uninstalled thoroughly clean remnants and removed that ATI technologies folder).
          Talking of uninstallers, the last few times I uninstalled the ATI driver and CCC when I rebooted it apparently left the run command in the registry… and it tried to start the removed CCC, that’s with the ‘fixed’ version of uninstall.
          But go ahead, blame the customer..
          But I’m sure that if I simply reformatted and reinstalled windows and all software and applied all my favorite settings before each ATI driver update I would have no issues… perhaps. It would only take a day or two too.

• MadManOriginal

Too bad, with Vista the driver would crash then probably recover 😉 Vista ftw??! 😮

• Krogoth

From my experience, it always has been a headache to install new video drivers over the old ones. The preemptive practice of uninstallation of the old drivers and following installation of the new ones never gave me any problems.

• sigher

I think anybody that isn’t some ‘apple-target-audience’ user uininstalls the old ones first frankly.

• ludi

Step 1: Open the system chassis. Step 2: Physically remove the Nvidia graphics card… 😉

• asdsa

Like hell it does. Mine is fine.

• sigher

Looking at various forums it seems clear these drivers have some issues on 64 bit OS’s.
          Not to mention some issues of the site to put up the right driver packages, and issues with cards with modified BIOS.

• Krogoth

More senseless FUD.

I have just uninstalled my old drivers and put in 8.8s. Vista 64 could have cared less about the change. In fact, 8.8s fixed my BSOD awaking from sleep mode problem.

Seriously, video driver installation practically requires the removal of the old stuff if you wanted to avoid headaches. It always has been like that since 9x days. You had to do it with every vendor as well (Intel, ATI, Nvidia, 3dfx).

I feel no pity for users that are getting problems from using modified BIOS on their cards. They are playing with fire and should know better.

• eitje

woah – has crossfire never been available in linux before?!

• tfp

What linux game would need it?

• Usacomp2k3

Crossfire X, not regular crossfire.
        §[<https://techreport.com/articles.x/14284<]§

• netkcid

what’s linux? =D

• Bluekkis

Nope, CrossFire is on linux for first time now. These drivers don’t bring CFX support, just regular, and is limited to just 4800 series currently.

§[<http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_crossfire_linux&num=1<]§

• anjulpa

Who needs two processors to accelerate a bunch of xterms anyway?

[On a serious note, xgl + cedega should now make better sense]

• Bluekkis

xgl is obsolete, aiglx support on standard xorg has replaced it. Besides compiz with unredirected fullscreen windows have never had any problems with cedega, everything is working at full speed.

• HurgyMcGurgyGurg

Can anyone give data as to whether folding output increases with these drives, I’m interested in seeing if the ppd for the 4870 can start increasing to match nVidia graphics cards. Folding is a major concern for my next system and I can’t decide as to go with ATI’s value ratio or nVidia’s folding power.

Thank you.

• wingless

Folding output comes with better code from Stanford. AMD’s drivers aren’t the issue. If Stanford decides to make an OpenCL client for ATI then maybe we’ll see Nvidia-like PPD.

• GodsMadClown

Does anyone know when/if the power saving features of Hybrid Crossfire are going to be done?

• Archer

Some cheeznutz forgot to put the driver in the full install package. Grab CCC and the driver as separate files.

• BKA

I got the 64 bit Vista version in a full install package. Which one is missing?

• Taddeusz

Oddly I actually ran into the same issue at work trying to update my Vista 32-bit machine. Just noticed the file size for both the complete package and CCC package are the same.

If you look at the Vista 64-bit drivers the two packages are different sizes.

Someone did drop the ball.

• Archer

I installed this new driver and saved 15% on my car insurance.

• reckless_meanie66

And I got a 45% frame rate increase in Doom 3.

• Corrado

I didn’t. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

• UberGerbil

But didn’t waking up next to the Burger King “King” kind of freak you out?

• Pax-UX

Ordered my 4870×2 today! these are nicely timed 🙂

• sigher

Well once you got it and tried 8.8 and you get odd issues just get the 8.7’s rather than being glum 🙂