BlueTrack lets new Microsoft mice track on granite

Nine years after introducing its first optical mouse, Microsoft has decided to tread some new ground with a brand-new optical sensor system. Fittingly, treading new ground is exactly what Microsoft claims its BlueTrack Technology does.

Instead of a laser or red LED, BlueTrack uses a blue beam to light up surfaces. Couple that with a “specular optics architecture,” a special image sensor, and proprietary pixel geometry, and you get a mouse that supposedly works on “virtually any surface . . . from a granite kitchen countertop to the living room carpet.” That said, Microsoft cautions that BlueTrack mice don’t work on clear glass or mirrors (duh).

Microsoft has fitted two futuristic-looking mice with BlueTrack tech: the Explorer Mouse and Explorer Mini Mouse. Both products are wireless and come with little USB receivers that snap into the bottom of the mouse. To that, the Explorer adds a snap-in battery charging base, while the Explorer Mini’s smaller docking base simply switches the mouse off (the Mini can supposedly last more than six months on one charge, compared to three weeks for its big brother).

Like all new technology, these latest mice won’t be cheap. Microsoft quotes recommended prices of $99.95 for the Explorer and $79.95 for the Explorer Mini. On the upside, you’ll have some time to mull over the purchase, since Microsoft says the mice won’t become available until November.

• jsncable

Will it work on a blue table? Remember the old hand scanners that were red, they wouldn’t scan(or see) anything red… I imagine it would work, surely someone has thought of that.. but I have an old MS wheel optical mouse that won’t scan on anything red…

• Mr Bill

<rant>OK, I’ll bite. Why a ‘granite kitchen counter top you ask? Because most people think any polished rock is granite. Why not a marble counter top? Would’nt this mouse be just as good on marble? Well maybe not, after all the calcite in marble has that oddly exaggerated refractive index behavior compared to that of the silicates in granite. Calcite is strongly birefringent and the old trick of using a calcite crystal to make a pencil point on a page look like two just might slightly confuse an LED mouse, blue or red. But I think its just that “granite” is any polymineralic silicate rock which, with a hardness of around 7, has superior wear characteristics to marble with calcite’s hardness of only 3. So, all metamorphic and granitoid rocks get called “granite”. Its a bit annoying, but only to an igneous petrologist. </rant> Heh.

• Pax-UX

Wow, great way to solve a non-existing problem Microsoft. $80 or new mouse mat? I’ll have to think about that one.

• floodo1

haha you guys are talking about ads! Thats so…..OLD SKOOL!

adblock plus, ftw

• Meadows

My ban sense’s tingling.

• ssidbroadcast

<alarmnoise> “Nuclear Launch Detected.”

• alex666

I just got my first laptop, and bought an optical mouse for it. I use the laptop in a lot of settings that don’t always have readily available smooth surfaces. However, if I’m sitting and using the laptop in one spot long enough, I definitely prefer using the optical mouse if possible. So this new optical mouse technology might prove interesting and useful, if a bit expensive at this time. I’ve learned never to underestimate how these sorts of peripheral devices can really affect overall ease of use on a day-in and day-out basis. Kudos to MS for keeping that in mind.

• Voldenuit

$99 for a mouse and it’s not Bluetooth? Lose.

• MadManOriginal

…but can it play Crysis on ultra high settings?

• evermore

More graphics processing power than a Voodoo!

So what happens when you put it on top of a blue mousepad?

I wish they’d put a LITTLE bit of new technology into older, less eye-searing styles. Particularly the plain old IntelliMouse Optical. They’ve completely abandoned anything but funky “ergonomic” right-handed mice (MS and all other makers I mean), unless you just want a 2-button wheel mouse. If all this super-sensor-lightup crap actually makes the mouse more responsive or track more smoothly or generate healing waves that will cure halitosis or whatever they’re claiming, I’d be willing to pay a higher price (though no fricking way I’d pay $100 for a mouse). Of course they don’t bother doing this because the plain old red LED works perfectly fine for anybody not measuring the tracking with a micrometer in order to justify having bought the newest.

• Meadows

It didn’t for me actually, which is why I own a laser mouse.

• Krogoth

What is the point?

Just more silly gimmicks.

I suppose the technology is handy for certain niches (ie computers in areas with odd surfaces where laser and red LED units would not work well)

• Scrotos

I kinda agree. Hard to get excited about a… mouse. I don’t even use a mousepad anymore with my low-grade optical, it just works fine. Hell, I was using a mouse on the carpet sitting in front of my TV, then on my leg when I got tired of having my arm all the way on the ground.

Was this a big problem in the mousing world that needed to be solved? Seemed like a non-issue to me, and I got $5 mice, nothing special.

• albundy

That is one fugly mouse!

• SecretMaster

I love how the top page advertisement for this article is one that advertises countertops. Just makes me laugh a little.

• Usacomp2k3

Content targetting?

• SecretMaster

I’m aware of how the ad-searching works. I still find it humorous though, because this is a tech site with an advertisement for granite counter-tops.

• ssidbroadcast

Well it’s just the perfect, most logical sequence of transactions: buy a mouse… then buy a new granite countertop to go with it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• SecretMaster

Ah. Touche.

• FireGryphon

Sweet. ๐Ÿ™‚

It’s actually not too bad of an idea, anyway. I mean, tech geeks buy counter tops, so why not target us in our native environment?

• Usacomp2k3

My desk at home is a countertop mounted on a wooden frame with drawers. ๐Ÿ˜†

• SecretMaster

Well now its time to upgrade to granite and become a /[

• UberGerbil

IME the only men who care about granite countertops are the ones whose wives /[

• jeffry55

You guys are a HOOT!

• UberGerbil

Some MS engineers must’ve gotten sick of their wives complaining to them that their kitchen computer mice didn’t work on their fancy Corinthian Granite counter tops….

• ssidbroadcast

pretty much…

• PRIME1

About time Microsoft adopted blue ray…….

• seawolf1118

agreed. perhapes too much pride to let go?

• FireGryphon

oh, rimshot ๐Ÿ™‚

• provoko

haha, good one

• grantmeaname

what happens when your Explorer Mini turns 6 months old?

• Deathright

ever seen Logan’s run?

• FireGryphon

Logitech will lead us to Sanctuary.

• ew

Hey, you know what kind of mouse already works on mirrors, clear glass and granite?

• BiffStroganoffsky

Minni Mouse…when she is working at the strip club now that Disney has forgotten her.

• Prototyped

But but balls are hard to clean omgs!

Cue mouse testicle jokes and double entendres.

• ew

If I can just figure out a way to make the ball glow blue I’ll be a millionaire. I’ll call it the BlueBallz Mouse!

• eitje

gyroscopic mice?

no balls!

• Rakhmaninov3

Hah! My thought exactly. $99 for ultra-precise cursor movement in the kitchen.

Reminds me of Space Pens….the US spent beaucoup bucks and countless man-hours inventing an ink pen that would write in the low-gravity, low-pressure environment of the space shuttle.

The Russians used a pencil.

๐Ÿ™‚

• KeillRandor

Actually – that’s an often repeated myth:

ยง[<http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp<]ยง

• MadManOriginal

In Soviet Russia, pencil uses you.

• NeronetFi

….nice……

• tesla120

Thats why we are in America, we can spend more money then one can imagine just for the hell of inventing it.

and really, these mice aren’t any further off in price as any other mouse when it first comes out… some are still this price and who knows if its bluetooth or RF. if its bluetooth (i hope) the mini is about the right price.

• tesla120

damn… whats so hard about making the switch to bluetooth??? rf sucks and the 2.4 ghz band is clogged up as it is….

• ludi

Uhm…what? Bluetooth is RF in the 2.4GHz band. It’s just spec’d to operate on a much narrower slice of spectrum over much shorter distances.

• tesla120

ya and because of that it doesn’t get messed up by things like your microwave or telephone…

• Usacomp2k3

A little bit underwhelming, especially with only 2 models at such high prices.

• eitje

well, but you don’t need to charge the mini for 6 months!

• evermore

I’d bet the fine print clarifies that as something like 2 hours of usage with only minimal actual mouse movement per day, 3 days a week (a “typical” mobile usage pattern they’ll claim) versus 8 hours of daily desktop usage for the full-size mouse where it barely ever has time to go into power-saving mode.

It’s not like the electronics’ power usage really should differ between the two, unless the Mini just has less sensitive optics and a lower-power light. The software package probably has to be installed and set to “maximum power save” for the 6 month bit to be valid, with the light falling almost completely off if you let the mouse stop moving for more than 2 seconds, and it’ll wake up slow to save power so there will be initial lag.

I want a mouse with steel tank treads. I know that’s virtually impossible but it’d be really cool.

• Usacomp2k3

The MS Optical Mouse that I had quite a few years ago lasted 6 months on battery. So does the Logitech…Nano that I think it was JBI that really likes. Heck, that one even runs on one battery.