Left 4 Dead to get the demo treatment

We all love trying before we buy, but not all game developers take the time to release demos these days (case in point: Bethesda with Fallout 3). Luckily, folks looking forward to Valve’s co-op zombie shooter Left 4 Dead will be able to sample a demo before trading a wad of cash for the full game.

According to Videogamer.com, which quotes none other than Valve CEO Gabe Newell himself, Left 4 Dead demos will come out for both the PC and the Xbox 360. Newell expects the demo will let players run around the first of the game’s four campaigns, which takes places in a hospital and has already been shown off to the press. The demo will include both single-player and co-operative multiplayer modes, as well.

Unfortunately, Newell said he didn’t know of a release date for the demo. Valve may well unveil it some time before Left 4 Dead’s November 18/21 launch, although it’s not unheard of for demos to come out slightly after full games hit shelves. (Thanks to Shacknews for the tip.)

• gargar

it’s a Valve game. meaning no need for a demo, it’s a sure buy.

• Pax-UX

This & Fallout 3 are the big releases of the year for me and why I decided to do a PC upgrade. Really looking forward to this, November can’t come soon enough.

• Silus

A demo by Valve ? Is the end of the world coming ??

Also, Cyril, it’s a bit unfair to criticize other companies that usually do not release demos and praising Valve for releasing one now, because Valve did EXACTLY the same thing up to this point.

• The Dark One

Well, they had demos for HL1, HL2 and Portal, as well as the ‘free weekend’ things for their multiplayer games. The only things they haven’t demoed were the short expansion packs and HL episodic content.

• MadManOriginal

The coop online play is neat, hopefully more companies do that in the future.

• Ethyriel

I remember a ton of people saying the same thing when Serious Sam came out. Unfortunately, outside of RPG studios, they just don’t seem to get it. There would be a much larger market for campaigns if they offered co-op instead of just single player.

• d0g_p00p

I cannot wait. Having played this at PAX it looks to be just as fun as TF2.

• sweatshopking

I really didnt find half life 2 all that exciting. It had cool physics, and that was good. However i found the weapons (excluding the cool laser rockets) lame, and the enemies repetitive. It was an good game, but i really think that It got WAY more credit than it deserved, due to the kick assness of the first one. and the source 2 engine is soooo buggy it isnt funny. from sound problems to the 64 bit nightmare valve created, i would not be really interested in playing a game with it all these years later, though im sure those problems are long fixed. Left for dead? maybe will be ok, but i wouldnt be surprised if it sucked.

• cegras

That’s your opinion.

• sweatshopking

and yes that was my opinion

• Forge

Sound issues? I’ve had none. You’re not running a Creative card, are you?

64bit Hell? I’ve been 64bit since before HL2 came out, and I’ve never had any 64bit-specific issues. Even the 64bit versions updated/upgraded without me even noticing.

More info, or I call shens.

• toyota

he is probably referring to the looping sound that use to plague the game for many users. also I thought they removed the 64 bit version because it was so buggy. Im on the Steam forums everyday and I know something like that was said.

EDIT: after looking through the forums Valve did say that the 32bit is better tested and supported. whatever that means. lol

• Palek

I have a Creative X-Fi card, and I had persistent sound card related lock-up problems with all Source-based games until about a year ago, when either a Creative driver update or a Source engine update (not really clear which) fixed it. No problems now with Half-life 2 Episode 2.

• Silus

The source engine has a known sound stutter bug, that was never fixed as far as I know. All the updates I’ve done through Steam, never really got rid of it.

• toyota

It was fixed for most people about 3 years ago. in fact I dont recall every seeing a stutter thread on their forums since then. I had it bad on one system. it was some how related to the way the game loaded stuff into memory or something like that. I still get nervous every time I fire up the game because Im scared it it it will will will come come back back. lol

• Silus

Right…must’ve been ONLY the Valve fanclub that got the fix then, since I certainly didn’t. And their latest releases, like Portal and Episode 2, which I played at a friend’s, also had it, so it’s not fixed.

• toyota

well I dont know what to tell you. I currently have 3 different comps that I play Source games on and not a single one stutters in the game. also there arent any current threads about it that I have seen.

• ImSpartacus

I have had minor sound problem with Source games. Nothing major, sometimes the sound just loops when my system gets tied up right before I join a server or start up a game.

• sweatshopking

I was talking about the sound stuttering, i have geforce 8800gt, and the thing (fully up to date) still stutters often. and no i have a realtek soundcard. also the 64bit version is what i was referring to. It was VERY buggy. the 32 bit runs ok, and actually according to valve, gives better frame rates.

end statement: valve is ok

• BoBzeBuilder

Valve indeed rocks, but if only they had a pretty engine to match. HalfLife2 did not wow me, and they are still using that engine after all these years. hmmm….

• ImSpartacus

Yeah, they really are kind of taking a stand on visuals. Source really shines on other things like physics, lip sync, etc, but I agree that its visuals are becoming dated.

I really don’t mind. I would prefer gameplay to absolutely stellar graphics.

• d0g_p00p

you really need to see the game first hand. The compressed videos don’t really show the level of detail. L4D looks really really good. Besides, you will not have much time to enjoy the visuals because you will be fighting to stay alive.

• FubbHead

I rather have OK graphics and a game flow, than “wow” graphics and slowdowns.

• NeronetFi

Valve games might not have eye candy but they do have a good story line. Not to mention you dont have to buy new hardware to enjoy it.

• A_Pickle

Eh? Speak for yourself, I guess. I guess Source doesn’t have the greatest looking stuff, but… man, I dunno. With high resolution textures and a light footprint, HDRI and nice specular mapping — Source looks really good. And I can run most Source games at 1920×1200 with my little Mobility Radeon X1900, with 4x AA.

It also has really good art direction — everything fits. I dunno about you guys, but when I play Bioshock, or F.E.A.R, or Prey… and I see objects where one side is illuminated while the other side is completely pitch black… and that bothers me. They’re missing a HUGE part of lighting… while Source hits it right on the nugget (even if they are faking light bleed).

I dunno. Source FTW… the only engine I’ve seen that runs well, looks better, has good physics, and maintains consistency throughout is Unreal 3.

• Joerdgs

At least I can try out if I REALLY need to upgrade to run the game… my laptop is no top performer at the moment.

End statement: Valve rocks.