WD ships dual-platter 500GB mobile drive

The latest contender on the 500GB mobile hard-drive stage is now shipping, Western Digital has announced. The new WD Scorpio Blue 500GB hard drive has a 2.5" form factor, 5,400-RPM platter speed, 300MB/s Serial ATA interface, 8MB buffer, and—most importantly—only two platters. Each platter in the Scorpio Blue packs a surprisingly dense 250GB, which could give Western Digital an edge over its competitors with potentially louder and power-hungrier three-platter 500GB drives.

WD rates the Scorpio Blue for 24-26dB noise levels, 12-ms read seek times, and 2.5W power dissipation during reads and writes. The drive reportedly includes "proprietary features that make [it] extraordinarily quiet, while running at cool operating temperatures," too.

The 500GB Scorpio Blue is currently shipping through "select distributors and resellers," with a suggested retail price of $219.99. WD also has a 400GB Scorpio Blue model based on the same platters, and that particular offering has a $189.99 suggested retail price. Both models come with three-year warranties.

• axeman

All I gotta say is wow. Seems like not that long ago we thought we were hitting the limits of areal density on magnetic storage. I guess there is still room for improvement. A standard thickness 2.5″ HD is a tiny piece of hardware to store 500GB…

ยง[< http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/research/recording_head/pr/PerpendicularAnimation.html<]ยง

• OneArmedScissor

What interests me the most about this is the potential of a Velociraptor using those platters. That would quell the capacity complaints and make it even faster at the same time. That’s a pretty big jump. Kind of odd, considering that they just released the 150GB Velociraptor…

• Mourmain

[should have been a reply]

• JdL

Damage et al : : Can we get a REVIEW? This might be a speedy performer!!

• Kurotetsu

For uses that don’t require performance (like for backup storage), 5400rpm is perfect. Besides the obvious low power and low noise, the motor is under much less stress compared to 7200rpm, meaning it should theoretically last longer.

Hm, are there external HDD enclosures that allow the use of 2.5″ drives?

• Kulith

of course

techreport: “posts with less than 10 characters can’t be worth reading”
      – wtf???

• Shinare

Oops, didnt hit the reply button I guess, heh.

• Shinare

Maybe if we all stop buying 5400 RPM drives, perhaps they will stop making them.

• Prototyped

Sure, but given 5400 rpm drives consume less power than 7200 rpm ones, it makes sense to put them in notebooks (battery charge consumed slower and less heat generated within that compact chassis), especially since they aren’t much slower for notebook-type tasks any more.

• Shinare

The performance hit is bigger than one would expect after having witnessed first hand what going from a 5400RPM drive to a 7200RPM on my laptop. It was not just “barely noticeable” but “Wow” noticeable. Power be damned, I’ll take performance over capacity forever more on my laptop.

Anyway, I firmly believe that in 2 years more new laptops will have SSDs than without. This might be a moot point. ๐Ÿ™‚

• A_Pickle

Uh… speak for yourself. I like 5400 RPM hard drives. I once made the mistake of ordering an 80 GB 7200 RPM 2.5″ HDD for a Dell Inspiron E1705… and my friend with an Acer (that cost him half as much) had a 120 GB 5400 RPM HDD. We LANned a lot, and he loaded into games like… a whole SECOND after I did.

Since then, I’ve not given a second look at 7200 RPM hard drives. TR’s benchmarks agree with me, I might add…

• Spurenleser

I’ve decided to wait for SSD to get out of their infancy (i.e. get cheaper and more reliable), until then I’ll just stick with the cheapest 5,400 RPM drive Dell offered for the XPS 1530 ๐Ÿ™‚

• ludi

How fragmented was your old drive?

There were pieces of it EVERYWHERE.

• GokuSS2

Are you forgetting about aerial density. The difference between a 250Gig 7200 drive and a 500Gig 5400 is not as big as two drives of the same size and different speed.

• danazar

Are you kidding? I’ll gladly take one of these over the 4200RPM beasts a lot of low-end laptops come with.

• Kaleid

As extra harddrives the 5400rpm drivers are perfect. The WD 640GB Green Power is much quieter than the “blue” 7200rpm drive.

There is a performance hit but its not enormous.