12-inch ThinkPad X200t tablet PC unveiled by Lenovo

The rumors were true: Lenovo has been covertly working on a tablet version of its ThinkPad X200 laptop. Notebooks.com has the scoop on the new ThinkPad X200t tablet and its sibling, the ThinkPad X200s.

Like you’d imagine, the X200t has a 12.1" wide-screen display and form factor similar to the existing ThinkPad X200’s. Lenovo has positioned the X200t’s display on a hinge that can rotate both left and right, and according to Notebooks.com, you’ll be able to purchase the machine with either solid-state drives or mechanical hard drives. Battery life shouldn’t disappoint, either: the site quotes a maximum of 10.5 hours with an eight-cell battery.

Check out the video below to see the X200s and X200t in action. The person manhandling the new notebook is Lenovo’s Director of Worldwide ThinkPad Marketing, Tom Ribble.

The X200s doesn’t look too different from the original X200. Ribble says you can keep it going for a whopping 13.5 hours with the nine-cell battery, and judging by Notebooks.com’s specs list, it’ll come with SL-series Core 2 Duo processors from Intel and an optional 1440×900 display resolution. Expect to pay upward of $2,200 for the ThinkPad X200s and $2,300 for the ThinkPad X200t.

• mako

/me wants an X200s, but wow, it’s way more expensive than the X200.

• Prototyped

The X200s is lighter and uses lower-power processors than the X200.

For those who don’t know who that is in the video, it’s Matt Kohut (NOT Tom Ribble, Cyril — watch the video ffs :p), who writes Lenovo’s “Inside The Box” blog. [1] A lot of what he blogs about is quite interesting, such as why standard aspect displays are no longer common, why high quality IPS displays are now sparse, what considerations there are in designing and choosing docking stations for laptops, how the materials used are important, what switchable graphics are and why you’d want them, whether or not to opt for SSDs, and so on.

His videoblogging skills aren’t that great, but he himself is pretty awesome in my book. (And I don’t even own a ThinkPad any more.)

[1] §[< http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/<]§

• blitzy

yeah he got the name wrong

• libradude

#2, there is! The HP tc1100 🙂 It was the older cousin to your 2710p, if you aren’t familiar with it… I got mine for about $400 on eBay; it’s got a 10″ active Wacom digitizer, 1.2Ghz Pentium-M, 2GB of memory, and I put a 120GB hard drive in it so it’s great for watching movies, surfing the web, reading .pdfs, whatever. I highly recommend it. It’s only 3lbs (4 with the /[

• Usacomp2k3

I always disliked convertible tablets.

• thecoldanddarkone

I dislike non convertable tablets… heh

• willyolio

i dislike tablets that rely on the rotating-monitor conversion. unfortunately, it seems to be the only one around.

• ChronoReverse

There’s a reason why almost all of them are rotating convertibles.

Back when TabletPCs were new, there were all sorts of forms including slates and docking models. But eventually, when it came down to actually using them, convertibles are simply better. There’s too many times when it’s easier to just go back to a normal notebook and that’s where slates and docking solutions fall short.

I myself use a convertible TabletPC and I wouldn’t trade it for any slate or docking tablet.

• SonicSilicon

There are flipping / folding styles, but very few models. I’ve only seen it done properly, once, and it was for an overgrown Handheld PC (Win CE 3 for an OS.)

• ColdMist

I’ve got an HP 2710p. Same size and specs, roughly. I really like it, but to use it as a kindle-like reader it’s too big and heavy. Battery life just reading is a good 4hrs though.

If there was a 10″ tablet like this with an active digitizer and hardened glass, I would sell my 2710p and buy it. But, the active digitizers from Wacom only come in 7-8″ or 12″. They don’t make a 10″ yet, or so I’ve heard.

• mph_Ragnarok

Yeesh, why such an amateurish home-video ?