Poll: What’s the best netbook?

We don’t have to spell it out for you at this point: the netbook market is getting very crowded, with dozens of contenders from Acer, Asus, Everex, Dell, HP, MSI, and other firms fighting it out in the $250-600 range. We shared our preferences in our back-to-school netbook guide last week, and that leaves us with one question: what do you think is the best netbook in the market right now? That’s the subject of our latest poll, so feel free to go cast your vote either below or on our front page.

Our previous poll was about the most exciting games coming out this year. Fallout 3 got the most votes there (22%), while Far Cry 2 came in as a distant second with only 14%. Duke Nukem Forever was the third-most-popular option (unless you count “Other”), showing that even the TR community harbors hopeful Duke fans. Among the remainder, Grand Theft Auto IV, Call of Duty: World at War, Left 4 Dead, and Crysis Warhead were almost neck-to-neck with 8-9%, while Mirror’s Edge and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky received just 4% and 3% of the vote, respectively.

• xtian24

i wish dell mini 12 is in the list….great design, very slim and powerful enough…the screen is very good! …anyway ill go for dell mini 9 and HP mini note 2133

• Lans

I like the idea of netbooks but at this time, I simply have to vote “I’d prefer a bigger, heavier laptop with -[

• LoneWolf15

deleted, should have been a reply

• kishish

Where’s the poll option for 1024×768 screen resolution and a 9 cell battery?

• Imperor

Maybe “bigger, heavier and less battery” should have been complemented by, “I’d prefer to pay five times the money for a better one”. But the question is about netbooks not ultra portable all together.

Edit:
      Hmm, since you write 1024×768, I guess you’re talking about buying a used one at roughly the same price or just above. I agree, that might be the way to go, but buying pre-owned is always sort of a gamble, you never know how the previous owner treated it and you’ll definately need to get a new battery which will add a bit of $. Furthermore not all people have a spare atheros 11g mini-PCI lying around (like I do) and many older laptops lack wi-fi, especially the ones in the same price range as a netbook. Plus, storage in older ultra portables is often worse than that of a decent netbook (with mechanical storage that is).

• kishish

I was referring to the non-existent 10 inch 1024×768 with optional extended battery netbook, preferrably under $500. I think the only reason we haven’t seen one yet is manufacturers not wanting to put price pressure on their more expensive ultralights.

BTW, I’m replying on a T23 I just purchased for under $200. Even if I decide to throw in a larger hard drive and a “g” capable wireless card, that puts me well under most of these netbooks prices. Granted it’s a bit bulkier, hence my desire for a 10″ 1024×768 netbook.

• todd

I’ve a smart phone, a thinkpad, and a desktop. I got the 1000h to carry around campus because it’s light, can surf, im, run office 2007 and thereby fills a niche for me. I’ve installed xp pro, joined the domain, and upgraded to 2 gb of ram. This thing runs great. For what I use it for, it runs every bit as well as the thinkpad.

• mcphill

I abstained from voting because I have only used (and bought) an Eee 1000H, so I can’t make an educated comparison of the different models. I don’t know how all you haters have such deep pockets that you can actually buy all these computers, use them, then poo-poo them. I am sure that is what you have done, rather than just post how bad they are without ever even using one – that would just be silly.

Anyway, the 1000H is a fully capable computer. It runs XP, it runs Office 2007, it runs FireFox and Chrome, it runs Media Player 11, it runs Photoshop (OK, a little slow, but it works fine). The screen is small, but the resolution is 1024×600 – very good quality images. The keyboard is very usable (the right shift key is a little odd, but I don’t have any problems other than that). I haven’t used a CD/DVD in over a year other than to install programs, and that is easily handled by copying over to a USB key and installing from there. The unit is SMALL and LIGHT and does the job – all for $450… What more could I ask for? As my only computer, I would vote NO, but as an addition to the fleet, for use when I want ultimate portability, it is fantastic.

I would imagine that the Wind and Aspire One are fine as well, but I haven’t used/bought those yet, so again, my uninformed opinion will not allow me to cast a vote. I haven’t used a 901 either, and the point of diminishing returns from screen size seems like it would be a hard sell as well…

• MadManOriginal

I don’t have a laptop but I voted for the last option, and it’s winning! I love s[

I don’t think the last option is skewed or slanted or biased. It’s simply true – I prefer a faster, larger, heavier laptop. My work machine is a Dell Latitude D530, and I couldn’t imagine using a screen with a lower resolution anymore (1024×768). For home use, 1280×800 is the BARE minimum useful resolution (in other words, no Macbook for me), and I’d prefer a 1440×900 (15″ Macbook Pro). My 20″ monitor running at 1680×1050 has me spoiled, and I bet a 24″ display would further the damage.

• ludi

Assuming most of the votes so far are serious, it looks like a split is forming between the SteakSauce and the 1000H. Does this mean that the 9-10″ market is hitting the sweet spot on features and dimensions, and the only differentiating factor is a willingness to pay noticeably more money for the larger of the two screens?

• Vasilyfav

But wait guys, soon there will be another NICHE for these semi-mobile-computational devices called MID, the Mobile Internet Device. It will fit in somewhere inbetween netbooks and smartphones.
    Only the very cool people will have those, because you know, netbooks are already too powerful, but they are still big enough that you can’t show off to your sorority herd and say “oh look how cute” . Oh and they will have all the very necessary features like hardware HD video decoding, compiler optimizations, projector connectivity for presentations, pink fluffy dice on a string, etc.

All so you can just forget about the goddamn thing in a month, because people will look at you everywhere like at a giant pussy and you can’t really do shit on that huge 720*480 screen they will so cheaply install.

• jpostel

My laptop is my primary work PC, so netbooks are out. I have to run one or more VMs simultaneously on my laptop, so i need the horsepower, RAM, and a fast drive (or 2). If I could get universal wireless access (inside, outside, or anywhere), then I might be able to get by with a netbook and a remote connection to a server.

• LoneWolf15

/[

• Contingency

It’s a good option–helps reduce skewing by people who don’t have an opinion, or feel antipathy towards the subject under discussion.

• LoneWolf15

Not really. It’s like an advertiser who says “XX people prefer Burger A over the others” because their question was “Would you prefer Burger A, or a dry, tasteless, frozen burger from our competition?”

• Contingency

You’re missing the point. The poll wasn’t crafted to find out individual laptop formfactor preferences, it’s for a subset, the netbook market. Since not everyone cares about netbooks, the option serves as an outlet for disinterest.

• ludi

ROFLOL…I thought it was funny. If the poll had a snail’s chance in a mollasses race of being objective and scientific, then you might have point, especially with that sanctimonious “shame on you” line, but it’s child’s play to vote infinity times on these TR polls if you really want to, so…

Besides, I believe the poll’s title was and is: “What’s the best *[

• Damage

*ding* Ludi wins.

Ninja edit from my Eee PC: Right now, 26% of respondents have chosen this option, too, which nicely filters the noise, I suppose. The sad thing is that so many folks don’t seem to get a few basic things:

1) Low-cost traditional laptops don’t meaningfully compete with netbooks because they are not really mobile devices in the same way. The really cheap ones are 15.4″ or 17″ models that tend to weigh 6-7 lbs and get about three hours of battery life.

2) More traditional ultraportables don’t compete with netbooks due to price. I mean, jeez, you could buy four netbooks for the price of a nice Thinkpad X300 or the like.

3) Either of these traditional laptop types, the cheap one or the ultraportable, is nice to have, but a netbook is a good supplement to them. I have a great 13.3″ laptop, sub 4 lbs. with 5.5 hours battery life, and yet I got a 1000H because it’s cheap, even (much) smaller and lighter, and ridiculously useful. It’s a great accessory to a killer desktop and/or a decent laptop, depending on your needs–and it’s cheap enough to coexist with ’em.

Yet we constantly hear from the anti-netbook brigade who somehow thinks a very nice new category of device should be judged by some other standard. I love fast computers, but I don’t get it.

• Pax-UX

Most people can only afford a single laptop and don’t have the luxury of two or more devices. So if you’re going to spend that hard earned cash most of the netbooks aren’t the right way to go, especially if you’ll be siting in front of it for a long periods of time. Put for those with bit of spare cash a netbook is a nice addition.

• HalcYoN[nV]

You can build a very nice desktop and supplement it with a netbook for the price of one of the ultra-portable “full-size” laptops. That yields the fewest compromises in terms of both high performance computing and mobile computing. How much do you need when mobile? After having an EEE for some time, I know that answer is very little. Most anything can be done through a web browser. I get enough time from the battery to occupy otherwise wasted time and since it is small enough to bring anywhere, it usually comes along.

• Bombadil

Well I have never liked any notebook computer I have had to use, but I am still happy with the 4 year old NEC Mobile Pro 900C I got last year. It is actually nice not to be distracted by a bunch of unneccessary x86/Windows software.

Yes, x86 is enticing. I could see getting a WindowsXP + 780G netbook for entertainment. My cheap 780G desktop can run at similar power usage as these netbooks but performs a lot better.

• flip-mode

I just thought of a zinger that was so harsh that I’m going to have to spoilerize it:

o[

• LoneWolf15

Don’t get me wrong, netbooks have their place. I don’t think they’re where I want them to be yet (I want better than the i945 chipset, and dual-core Atom before looking), but when the market matures a bit, they’ll be cool.

I don’t expect netbooks to do all for everyone, especially with battery-life requirements, but reasonable video playback would be nice, which is lousy on the current products IMO, and I want a bit more out of a keyboard.

I guess I’m just too jaded from too many political polls that try to get me to answer things their way. 😉

• indeego

/[<"I love fast computers, but I don't get it."<]/ Then why are you using and -[editing]0 reviewing slow netbooks that can't even run modern operating systemsg{

• Damage

Uhh, what I don’t get is the irrational animosity directed at netbooks, as exemplified by your strange assertion that they aren’t fast enough to run a modern OS.

My 1000H is more than quick enough to run Vista. Netbooks don’t ship with Vista because the OS would contribute disproportionately to the total cost of the system. Vista also tends to require lots of RAM, and adding it would inflate the price, too.

That said, I took my 1000H to 2GB for $31, so it’s Vista ready now.. as soon as I figure out why I need it! Still using my apparently non-modern WinXP SP3. 😉

• VILLAIN_xx

If all I needed was in class note taking and light websurf, i’d own a net book already.

but

The Asus 1000h is not what i consider to be “cheap enough to coexist” with anything at a starting price at $450 us dollars. Nor any of the cheapest netbooks since you will sacrifice the nice features the Asus 1000h already has. Maybe couple years or less the Netbooks will be accepted from the “anti-netbook brigade” when the price and standard longevity life of netbooks are greatly improved.

:o)

• Prototyped

I voted for the Aspire One since the poll is really about netbooks, but I’d really rather prefer a:

* refurbished or certified used
    * bigger (13.3″ to 14.1″), heavier (up to 5 lb)

notebook with

* a bigger battery, and therefore
    * *[http://www-304.ibm.com/shop/americas/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/default/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=-840&langId=-1&categoryId=2576396< ]§ [2] §[<http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/topics/global.aspx/arb/online/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=28&l=en&lob=VOSNB&MODEL_DESC=Vostro%201310&s=dfb< ]§ [3] §[<http://stores.channeladvisor.com/LenovoOutlet/Notebook/Refurbished/ThinkPad%20X%20Series/Category.aspx?accountId=60000443&storeId=60000187&storeURL=lenovooutlet&catId=19144<]§

• king_kilr

I’ve got an MSI-163A(barebones), via RKC Computers, set it up myself, and I love it to death. I got a good deal, and a great machine.

• Kulith

I don’t understand these polls. I’ve voted like at least 5 times in every poll simply because the option to vote keeps popping up.

I am always logged into the site, so it doesn’t make sense to me.

I just got home today and it’s asking me to vote again, so I voted again for the last option.

• swaaye

I think they are all pretty neat and useful. I am looking forward to some new chipsets arriving though. I want to see that nifty Poulsbo chipset and maybe something from AMD (assuming they can produce a platform that is nearly as low power as Atom.)

The only aspects I dislike about my Eee900 are the slowness of the SSD drives and the heat it dumps out. The write speed really puts a choke on system snappyness.

As for which is best, I have no idea. I have only used the Eee900 so I’m not going to vote.

• Hattig

The point of a netbook to me is to be cheap, cheerful, sling-it-in-the-bag-able, but not pants. The Acer Aspire One meets these needs. I’d have one but my car had to go to the garage for repairs, then I got a driving violation through the post.

• ColdMist

I got a slightly used HP 2710p tablet, 12″ screen, 4+ hours on a normal battery at 3.6lbs., full video decode, full OS support, for $825 off of eBay. I wouldn’t spend $400+ on a netbook when I could get the 2710p for that, and I didn’t 😉

• Veerappan

Guess I’ll be the first to actually qualify their poll choice…

I went with the Acer Aspire One. Why? The storage expansion SD slot. I love the idea that I can expand the 8GB SSD that is built into the machine with an SDHC card of my choosing and have it integrated into the main storage pool automatically while still providing a multi-format flash card slot to pull my camera pictures from.

The screen is average resolution for netbooks, and the battery life could be better, but the ability to expand primary storage is a great option in my opinion.

• flip-mode

I have to say, this netbook craze is starting to annoy me. Yes, it is a little bit cool; a little bit interesting. It is a cheap ultra portable with performance that matches the price, and resolutions that suck.

Oh well. I guess I just need to relax. They’re the next big thing, the next killer app, the next Ipod.

• Corrado

Especially since like… you aren’t FORCED into buying one :p

• flip-mode

That’s a typical response for someone who missed the point.

• indeego

/[<"I'd prefer a bigger, heavier laptop with far less battery life"<]/ My nc2510 has 9 hours of battery life and is just over 4 pounds. Come again? It also has a better display, more powerful processor, runs modern Windows and Linux OS's, and has all common I/O ports. Your netbooks are a freaking jokeg{<.<}g I love how enthusiasts compromise to save a buck or two, but they give up hours of battery life, a crappy keyboard layout, or myriad of other tenetsg{<.<}g

• Voldenuit

The majority of netbooks don’t even have all that good battery life.

Thinkpad T400 w/ 6 cell battery tops 6 hrs easily, and over 9 with the 9-cell.

• adisor19

So where does the Mac Book Air fit in that poll ? 🙂

Adi

uh, nowhere. It’s like $1200 more than any “netbook”

• lordT

This is why we love derfunk. Loves Apple but is still able to be rational.

• ssidbroadcast

Don’t forget me.

• grantmeaname

I forget you’re an apple lover sometimes… it’s like you’re a real life person who likes apple computers, or something

😉

Eh, if Adi is the Apple employee and I’m the realist, you’re like the…uhm…well in this case, you’re the “me too” fanboy. LOL 😉

• adisor19

Whoa whoa, where is my missing paycheck ?! 😉

Adi

Call steve, he might know.

• willyolio

wait… you love apple? but… you’re so rational!

error! error! does not compute!

I’m a realist. I acknowledge openly that Apple has the better of the two widely-used commercial UI’s. I practice what I preach. Can things get better? You bet – and in some cases they used to be.

• ludi

Check the cutting room floor, I believe it’s somewhere towards the bottom.

• Shinare

I see zero reason to purchase a “netbook” other than possibly trying to fit in with the “look at me” crowd.

I’ll take a more productive laptop for about the same price any day.

• chasscF1

If all you need it for is to go on the internet and do word processing, a more powerful laptop is not any more productive.

• Corrado

People are productive, laptops are not. If the netbook runs Office and IE and my favorite IM client, then how am I any less productive than someone with a 17″ desktop replacement?

• willyolio

if i had more biology and compsci classes and less math this year, i would have bought myself a netbook. i’ve been using a regular laptop for the past 3 years. i’ve figured it’s already too big, heavy, and powerful for what i’m doing- mostly typing up notes and downloading lecture slides. it’s also not powerful enough to do other things i like (i.e. gaming).

the traditional laptop is the one that has zero reason for people to buy. not powerful enough to be a desktop, yet not portable and cheap enough to conveniently tote around to get basic work done.

• FireGryphon

I’m not sure where I sit on the whole netbook thing. I’ve always thought that, unless you’re so mobile that you rarely get to sit down at a good desktop, there’s no need to have one of the bulky laptops that, quite frankly, is most laptops on the market.

The closest thing I’ve seen to a true portable computer is the Thinkpad X series. They’re small and light enough that you can throw them into a bag and tote them just about anywhere.

Then there are netbooks. Netbooks are much cheaper than a Thinkpad X, but they do most of what people need:, Office, Internet, IM. Netbooks are a very compelling solution, but there are two problems I have with them:

1) Netbooks are so small that they have cramped features, such as the keyboard. This may not pose a problem for the SDK generation — maybe I just have to evolve — but I see no reason why they can’t add an inch of width and give us full-sized keys. The space savings when it comes to shrinking the keyboard to only 92% or 95% normal size seems silly.

2) For the slight increase in size and a lot more money, a Thinkpad X can handle myriad more applications. Granted, most people don’t need the extra horsepower, but I know that for my use, I’ll want to run demos (scene.org), do some quick Photoshop, and maybe even program a little. In this regard, a netbook is a utility item, not a luxury item.

I’d be willing to compromise (2) first, since we’re talking about a difference of $1,000, which is no meager sum. Point (1) is more reasonable, I think. To me, and ideal utility product will have the form factor of a Thinkpad X, but the hardware of a regular ol’ netbook. Just imagine all the extra space you’d have in the chassis of such a machine to include better cooling, more ports, or a bigger battery. Maybe even a card slot or drive bay.

• ludi

Laptops don’t productive people, people productive people.

• odizzido

lol nice last option.

#1, I love battery life so netbooks are very interesting. Unfortunately, their video playing problems are a fairly large problem for me. Anyone have any idea when they will be getting hardware decode?

• JJCDAD

What a stupid poll. Why does TR have such a boner for these netbooks? Yes the bigger heavier notebooks may have shorter battery life, but they also have better keyboards, optical drives, real processors, and a decent screen.

• excession

How exactly is this “stupid”? The poll doesn’t ask whether a notebook or netbook is better, it asks which netbook is better. The last option is simply silliness.

Yes, netbooks have drawbacks. At the end of the day, my £300 gets me a perfectly capable portable computer that I can fit in any bag at any time. As a mobile computer repair service (me), smaller/lighter kit is always a bonus.
      Also, think of students. If I pay £300 for a laptop, it is going to be big, heavy, and have limited battery life. Is that what you want to take to lectures?

• Corrado

Why do people have such a boner AGAINST netbooks? Mine has a real processor that works great and runs the office apps I want it to run, and I can type on it just fine. The only thing I use an optical drive for is…. nothing in a mobile environment. If I want to transfer files i use a usb drive or network transfer.

• JJCDAD

I don’t have a boner against netbooks. But it seems like we get at least one news item per day about them on TR. I know I’m not forced to read the reviews and news items, and I don’t. But the snarky poll item just pushed me over the top.

• alex666

I tend to agree with you, that TR has had a heckuva lotta reviews and articles on netbooks. I had been looking at them closely for a possible purchase, but the price point just wasn’t right, and then I ran across a laptop with 2.00 C2D cpu, 4g ram, dvd burner, Vista Home Premium 64 bit, and an ATI Mobility Radeon with 512Mg ram, all for $635 US. So much for getting a netbook.

That said, the fact that these netbooks are so low-powered, small and light in weight, and are capable of running well the apps that most people run 90% of the time cannot be ignored as a potential harbinger of things to come. I can imagine now some savvy program developers designing smaller and leaner contemporary programs that will just fly on these systems. What would not be to love? ITs in large corporations would love these as well in desktop configurations.

• ludi

So what else is new in the computer industry right now that TR is grossly overlooking? The iPod had its peak and is going through ever-lesser refinements, multi-core processors had their peak and are only mildy interesting right now, Nvidia and AMD have hit a stalemate point again in the graphics wars now that the novelty of the 4850 has worn off, leaving us with…right, now netbooks are having their peak because…wait for it…/[

• VILLAIN_xx

As soon as i read your responsed i did expect alot of responses.

Im some what on the same boat as you. It does seem alot of sites are glorifying these things, and i dont actually hate these little bastard mutated versions of lap tops. I actually have a boner against their prices. At least the more competition that has been popping up, the prices are getting cheaper to where i MIGHT consider one if i feel its worth the price. Maybe 199 but not no stinking 349.

• Synchromesh

I have a boner against netbooks. The 1000H is actually not horribly bad but the original 7/9 series from Asus are worthless junk, imho. I got to look at them in person and they seem to be designed either for kids or midgets. Those tiny keyboards are pretty bad, screens are puny and internal expansion is almost non-existent. Looked at several other netbooks and none of them can even come close to an IBM.

My Thinkpad X40 that I bought used and can be had for netbook money is a by far better system with real disk capacities, enough RAM, normal P-M processor and a decent standard 12.1in screen. And it has a very comfy and real keyboard to boot.

• ludi

Asus reportedly sold about 300,000 model 701s just in the final three months of 2007, and the company was on track to move several million Eee-branded units this year. There’s little reason to believe they were off-base on that projection.

I’ve also seen plenty of adults — honest, even grown men with big hands! — doing horribly painful things involving extended communications on Crackberries, not to mention a whole gammut of similar PDA and smartphone devices also burdened with calculator-sized QWERTY keyboards or ridiculously flimsy little fold-outs intended to function as same. So I think your idea that the 701 was flimsy and toyish doesn’t hold. I had one for a while, and it was in fact extremely solid — the natural result of applying laptop production techniques at 1:3 scale.

• Synchromesh

Umm, so what? Just because they sold a few hundred thousand of those ubercheap systems doesn’t mean they’re right for everybody. Personally, I would only get one if it was free and then only to sell it off. There is a limit on how usable things are (at least for me) and I think they definitely crossed it with 7/9 series. Try spending 8 hours working on one of those, I’d like to see you try.

Also, build quality comparing to the Thinkpad is a joke. But that’s not surprising considering initial price difference.

• Imperor

I think that’s the whole problem with this debate!
            Some people are completely incapable of realizing that there are other people with other needs in the world!
            “It won’t satisfy *[

• ludi

If I were going to spend eight hours working on a computer, I really wouldn’t even want my current /[

• HalcYoN[nV]

I love these posts comparing Thinkpads to Netbooks. You really have no idea why netbooks are popular or what their intended purpose is. I have no trouble typing on my 700, using mine to post this at work over a nearby wifi network. That means no personal surfing on company property.

So when you can fit your Thinkpad in the same bag as your company issued laptop, feel fine with literally throwing your Thinkpad on to the couch when you get up to grab a beer and can fit your Thinkpad in your wife’s purse when you go grab a bite to eat, lemme know. Netbook’s are an entirely different market and pupose, not just for kids or “midgets”.

• Firestarter

There! I knew that a woman’s purse had a purpose!

• albundy

well, at least someone had the balls to say it, i’ll give you that. hopefully the fad will fade in due time. if you want something smaller and portable, get a UMPC or something in tablet form.

• ozy666

Sounds good! Wanna send me the extra $1000 then?