Get ready for ‘Windows Cloud’

Microsoft could soon announce a new riposte to Google’s growing array of web applications. Speaking at a conference in London, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said his company will unveil something he calls “Windows Cloud” within a month. As ComputerWorld reports, Ballmer said this product will be an “operating system . . . intended for developers writing cloud-computing applications.”

Ballmer remained tight-lipped, but he did give reporters a few other nuggets of information: Windows Cloud is separate from Windows 7, and Microsoft “doesn’t envision products such as the Office productivity suite moving entirely off desktop PCs and onto the Internet.” Nonetheless, Redmond is working on a web app that will let people do “light editing” of Office documents.

The Microsoft CEO stopped there and told attendees, “That’s all I can say on that . . . Otherwise, we have no drum-roll announcement in a month.” If we had to guess, we’d say the initiative could involve some sort of web-app framework and platform for third-party developers. Microsoft could also use the opportunity to take some of the current Windows Live apps (like Windows Live Photo Gallery) online a la Google Picasa.

• MarioJP

Just like the Terminator movies. Its coming

• pogsnet
    • Buub

This is fundamentally all about being able to charge a subscription model for Microsoft’s software. They’ve been trying to move in that direction for years.

• CheetoPet

I bet their slogan will be ‘keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars’

Is this Mesh?

• Fighterpilot

This guy thinks it’s more of a dark cloud on the horizon..
    §[<http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/30/stallman-warns-against-cloud<]§

• Grigory

Yeah, I get all my completely unbiased news from The Inquirer.

• crazybus

What this sounds like is Microsoft showing up late to the Adobe AIR / Google Gears et al. party.

Executed well, there are perks to this kind of en masse application virtualization. Lightweight or nondemanding apps are precisely where I could see this working. I think services like Ulteo have huge potential.

• ludi

Forget cloud; I would have gone with Fogged Windows.

At any rate, I expect it to shortly land by dot-Net and MSN on the souvenir shelf of “things that turned out to be somewhat smaller in application that we originally proposed”.

• Buub

Dot-net, seriously? Microsoft is writing whole applications in C# these days, and it has caught a significant amount of industry traction. Dot-net is doing just fine.

• MadManOriginal

Can someone tell me the point of cloud computing for such low-powered tasks as Office? In fact detailed information on why cloud computing is particularly good would be nice. I can understand it for a few things like data accessability and shring but that’s what servers already do. I just don’t see what it helps in most apps, either they’re low-powered and can be done by any old PC or they’re high-powered or have large data sets which are best served by local memory subsystems. It seems to me like transferring the data a lot would take away lots of any possible performance advantage. And if I have to get a ‘cloud app’ to use ‘Office Cloud 1.0’ I could just use Office and have my stuff on a server.

The conspiracy nut in me wants to say this is just a way for MS and Google to have all this information on their own systems.

• indeego

There is no conspiracy, that is exactly what they want, since it keeps you using their services, watching their ads, and using affiliated services.

Cloud computing has many advantages and many disadvantages, but the concept has been around for many decades with mainframes.

If Google or Amazon are leaders in this industry then we’re in for deep sh*t. The reliability of both these services is horrendous and shouldn’t be taken seriouslyg{<.<}g

• ew

I think cloud computing (and I’ll throw grid computing in there too) is just a bunch of marketing BS. For Google and Microsoft I think the motivations are clear. As you pointed out they want to have all your information. Plus for Microsoft it means a new way of charging money for their increasingly useless software.

• moritzgedig

“gridcomputing” does make sense for scientists and engineers.
        like the other hype “virtualisation” it makes better use of available hardware.

• MadManOriginal

Replying to the others both here, I’m glad I’m not alone in being a little suspicious and wondering ‘why’ about cloud computing.

• eitje

well, back in the late 70s/early 80s, computing was done through terminals on a central server. you saved money in those days by purchasing more terminals, and hooking them into a single server.

then, in the late 80s/early 90s, computers got fast enough to be able to handle some stuff in a decentralized fashion. they generally got faster and faster, so more and more stuff could be moved out of the server and onto the “desktop” computer.

during the late 90s/early 00s, computers became a commodity product. everyone’s computer could do the same simple tasks as everyone else’s, and so the diffrentiation came from services, support, and software.

now, all computers can do the same thing, and so ANY computer can be your desktop. we’ve come back to the idea of a terminal but, instead of having a handful of terminals that can only be connected to a specific mainframe, any commodity computer can act as a terminal to your applications in “the cloud”.

so, that’s the history, and the driver, for cloud computing. thank you!

• MadManOriginal

That’s a nice history but I want the mainframe to be my mainframe not one ‘out there somewhere.’ Since computers are cheap and commodified more products like HPs WHS box geared toward personal cloud computing would be more interesting. If I had an easy, coherent systematic way to access all my stuff on my server from any internet device I’d be happy.

• eitje

well, you have the idea behind cloud computing, then – you just want to own & operate your own cloud. most people, well, don’t care. 😉

• FireGryphon

You could setup a web server in your home and use it to store all of your info. Then you’d essentially have your own cloud.

• MadManOriginal

That ends up being a problem for me and anyone else who doesn’t want all their stuff stored by someone else who guards the gates to my info because if ‘most’ people don’t care it will become a standard.

• moog

live.com doesn’t snoop in your email, gmail does. Different philosophies.

• indeego

You gotta be kidding to think Microsoft isn’t using the information contained within those e-mails for their own purposes.

If you want secure and private email host it yourself and encrypt everythingg{.}g

• Draxo

Nah, all they want is to introduce another file format that won’t play nice with anyone but a fully version of office.

• indeego

I CAN’T OPEN THIS *&!@%^! /[<.docy<]/ FILE! r{

• GTVic

I think they should call it “Skynet”. That would get some attention…

• Stijn

That’s already being used by the largest ADSL provider here ;-).

• not@home

this would be neat if it was like a stripped down win xp w/o any of the junk that noone uses. light and fast. it needs to have no drm though b4 i get it.

• 5150

They disabled Messenger, what more do you want?

• Meadows

It’s intended for developers. They don’t care about DRM or how stripped down it is, at least for the most part.

• adisor19

I don’t think you can “get” this so to speak.. sounds like it will all happen in your browser window 🙂

Adi