700,000 Eee PCs shipped last month

Say what you will about Asus’ Eee PCs, they certainly seem to be selling like hot cakes. DigiTimes reports that Asus shipped 700,000 of the netbooks in September alone—a “new monthly high—for a total of 1.7 million Eee PC shipments in the third quarter. Despite increasing competition from firms like Acer and MSI, Asus reportedly expects shipments to stay about the same in October and November, too.

Short of cutting into Asus’ shipments, heated competition could still hurt Asus’ bottom line. DigiTimes quotes Taiwan’s Commercial Times as saying Asus might cut margins from 15-20% to around 15% in order to stay competitive—a claim Asus itself denied, saying margins “will remain steady.” The firm added that shipments of 10″ Eee PCs like the 1000H model will go up this quarter.

You don’t need an economics degree to figure out why Eee PCs are selling so well. Netbooks in general enjoy all the key ingredients of high-volume items: low prices, plenty of hype, and widespread availability. That’s probably why seven of Amazon’s top 10 best-sellers in computers and PC hardware are netbooks.

• A_Pickle

And, over at Apple… Steve Jobs paces menacingly.

/[<"How are these selling better than the Air?!?"<]/ a chaotic mind ponders.

• Xenolith

When will the 7″ get a refresh.

• MBIlover

Just got the newest 160gb Acer Aspire One after comparison shopping. I gotta say that the keyboard is infinitely better than the EEE 90x series. It may even be better than the 1000 because the right shift is in the proper place. One big negative on the AA1 is the trackpad/buttons and shiny, dust loving screen. I highly prefer the 90x matte screen.

Anyway, great to have around and with a proper battery really does make for an “all day” machine. Very handy secondary laptop. I am officially on the netbook bandwagon.

• indeego

6 hours is now all day? Ah, the europeans and their siestasg{<....<}g

• MBIlover

Heh, I included those quotation marks for a reason. I guess it’s a pleasant surprise to me since my old 12″ VAIO lasts 1.5 hours tops.

BTW, 6 hours is optimistic. I’ve squeezed out just around 5 with wifi on to continuously transfer files over a network. Might be better without the HDD working so hard.

• indeego

8510p 8 hours, wifi/vpn from a cafe, almost every friday. You can even fit a meal and a latte on the table, the notebook is so small. My hands, they aren’t cramped! I have 20/20 vision and get stuff doneg{

• 5150

Jesus we get it already! Christ, take your notebook with user level authority and cram it. r[<;-)<]r

• ludi

His name Indeego Montoya. You insult his notebook sensibility. Prepare to die.

• 5150

Any word on when these things will start having dual-cores?

• MadManOriginal

I’d like to know when they’ll use a properly matched low power draw chipset in Atom-based units first.

• CasbahBoy

I think Ars came close to answering your question:

q[http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080921-dual-core-comes-to-atom-line-with-launch-of-atom-330.html<]§

• ludi

Someone should be rushing to tell these people that netbooks are too small, too toy-like, too underperforming, and thoroughly outclassed by 12″ units costing as much as a cheap used car.

Silly dupes, voting with their dollars! How dare they!

• indeego

Netbooks are too small, too toy-like, too underperforming, and thoroughly outclassed by 12″ units costing as little as a cheap used carg{<.<}g

• CasbahBoy

I was getting really tired of the whining too.

• Synchromesh

People buy VWs and Smart cars too. Doesn’t mean either is a good vehicle overall.

My used 12in Thinkpad costs all of $400 now and can run circles around any netbook in pretty much anything but actual size. I would love for you to find me a decent running used car for that much. Would make my day.

• ludi