BioShock 2 teaser trailer hits the web

Well, that was quick. BioShock has been out for just over a year now, and 2K Games has already unveiled a teaser trailer for the title’s sequel. Behold:

You can view a slightly higher-resolution version over at Shackvideo. According to Shacknews, BioShock 2: Sea of Dreams will arrive between August and October of next year. 2K Games hasn’t yet announced which platforms it’s targeting, but Shacknews is betting on a triple-platform release for the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.

The original BioShock came out on August 21 for the PC and Xbox 360, but the PlayStation 3 release didn’t show up until earlier this week. Previous reports by Shacknews have confirmed the sequel will take place in the same underwater city as the original, and BioShock creator Ken Levine won’t play a big part in the development process. Levine also worked as the lead designer on System Shock 2, BioShock‘s spiritual predecessor.

• mr_greedy

So, Rapture’s at sealevel now?

• thermistor

#10…Blisters on the heel of your hand, dilated pupils, cravings for cheetos and mountain dew.

• Silus

And if this sees the light of day in the PC, expect a similar DRM scheme as in the first Bioshock. They already confirmed as much, during the DRM debacle of the first game, that all 2K games would have it, from that point on.

• tay

Will this version be virus free?

• herothezero

The engine looked and played great–it was the game that sucked. The consolitis afflicting Bioshock bled through every piece of the game.

• cegras

I think overall Bioshock was very, very enjoyable. Certainly as a single player experience I found it much more compelling and immersive than Crysis. In fact, I would say only Half Life 2 (plus Ep 1 and 2) can match the experience I’ve had with Bioshock so far.

• Spotpuff

I thought the game was good.

• Unckmania

Define Consolitis

• SPOOFE

“The condition of a petulant child blaming extremely minor dislikes and annoyances on things completely unrelated.”

• Steba

I found Bioshock to be one of the most refreshing games in recent history. The world of Rapture was simply amazing and everything from the story to the gameplay was executed ALMOST flawlessly. But to each their own i guess.

• NeronetFi

I to, enjoyed Bioshock.

• Xenolith

I only made it 2 hours into Bioshock before the boredom hit.

• swaaye

The developer used focus groups to decide how to make the game play. I think you can safely blame that for how it turned into basically an interactive movie with mediocre shooter gameplay.

Although, frankly, it didn’t play that much differently than the esteemed System Shock 2. You just lost the stats and inventory aspects that the focus groups probably couldn’t grasp. I’m torn on whether it was much of a loss though.

I really, really am not a fan of respawning bad guys, btw. Both this and Shock2 do that. And while the underwater art deco world was certainly cool, it sure was claustrophobic even though it was supposed to be a spacious underwater city. All designed in a straight line pretty much so the intellectually challenged wouldn’t get lost.

• Kaleid

I’m a SS2 fan and I don’t think Bioshock sucked. Yes, its very consoly and dumbed down but it was still more fun than most of the games released, like that crap called Far Cry 2.

Internet hate is on FC2 now? I thought people were crying that FC2 would be better than Crysis…

• clone

I’ll be buying FarCry 2 eventually….. likely in a month or two from the reviews it appears you can wander around the game for the hell of it.

I’m sure this botheres some players who need to be spoonfed mindless action every 3 minutes lest they get bored.

I’m not knocking that style of gameplay btw I played Unreal Tournament and Unreal 2004 amongst many other “brainless” first person shooters in the past but they become far to homogenous to me and personally just the idea of a game even more expansive than Stalker Shadows of Cherenobyl gets me interested…..

increased realism sells hardware good playability makes a great game….. it’s rare that both get combined in one title, Stalker was one of those games.

• CB5000

I made it 1 hours before I quit

• clone

I enjoyed Bioshock from start to finnish, the storyline was interesting the characters and the enemies were neat.

a few points within it got annoying but overall I thought it was a fantastic game.

• fpsduck

Now it’s Big Sisters and Little Daddy?

I hope they use something than unreal engine. I tried to replay through Bioshock recently and was put off on how shiny everything was.

• Meadows

I actually thought this was one of the few environments the engine did quite well. I’ve finished the game twice with a long hiatus in between (and I’ve seen some better looking games in between too) but I wasn’t exactly hit by how it looks.
      Granted, the other games (even Unreal Tournament 3 itself) look terrible with that abomination you call an engine; in fact, UT3 is particularly bad, it’s desaturated, overexposed, and disgusting to look at. Made me wish I played UT2004 instead.

• odizzido

I so agree with this. UT3 looks terrible.

• burntham77

Most of the graphics in Bioshock were pretty good, but the underwater backgrounds you see through the glass always seemed muddy and flat, like it was built for a console (which it was). The 360 and PS3 can make great graphics, as long as you only need to see no more than 50 feet in front you. Sadly, this meant the PC version suffered a little.

• moshpit

The city IS underwater, shiny seems like a normal value for wet stuff…

Have you played any other UE3 games?

• Meadows

This isn’t about the other games now, is it?

No, it’s about my hate for Unreal Engine and Cliffy B. 🙂

• SPOOFE

Then you need more soma.