GPU sales strong as AMD gains market share

Market research firm Jon Peddie Research has compiled its latest round of graphics processor shipment figures, and the results paint a picture of a healthy GPU market. Shipments hit 111 million in the third quarter, up 22.5% from a year before. The market also saw growth of 17.84% between Q2 and Q3 this year, which JPR says is “the largest increase in quarter to quarter shipments in six years.” In other words, the financial crisis hasn’t made its mark yet, although JPR expects that shipments could stay flat in the fourth quarter.

JPR’s report also includes some market share figures. AMD now has 20.6% of the overall GPU market by the research firm’s count, while Nvidia holds 27.8%, and Intel has nearly half (49.4%).  Those same three firms had respective 18.1%, 31.4%, and 47.3% market shares in the second quarter and 20.5%, 36.4%, and 33.4% shares in Q3 2007. Nvidia’s piece of the pie sure seems to have shrunk dramatically.

Interestingly, market share numbers for the mobile market now show AMD with 20.8% and Nvidia with 21.8%, on nearly equal footing. In desktops, the two firms have 20.3% and 32.6% shares, respectively. We should however note that JPR’s market share data count Intel integrated graphics as GPUs—numbers for actual discrete GPUs typically have AMD and Nvidia accounting for nearly 100% of the market, since Intel doesn’t offer any graphics cards or notebook graphics modules yet.

• jdevers

The Valve survey is great if you want to know what the installed base is, but neither AMD or Nvidia really care about that. They want to know what was sold this past quarter (what will be sold next quarter would be extremely valuable info to have as well, but is a bit harder to know =).

BTW, if you used the Valve survey as definitive data you would think that the majority of gamers use an Ati 9600 or the like which is just not true.

• clone

the results don’t give any credit to the dramatic shift in GPU prices downward which likely had more to do with the huge amount of year on year growth than anything else.

additionally with the prices dropping into the sub $300 range while still being a significant purchase I believe the new pricing moves most graphics cards out of the “big ticket items” to be bought or sold.

as in it’s the “big ticket items” that aren’t selling now that the economy has tanked while an add in graphics board is a notable purchase it’s an easy one too justify as it’s only done every few years like 3 or more so while yes the gpu will cost somewhere around $300 it’s not a huge purchase and will likely be around for a while to come.

also I thought AMD would gain more marketshare compared to Nvidia this go around but I guess it will depend on the next quarter as well to reflect that shift.

• Farting Bob

This is a report about market share from the 3 graphics companies. Sure if you ask gamers you’ll get a pretty different picture, but for an overall view of the market this is the best survey. nvidia sold more units last quater, but AMD gained on them, meanwhile overall shipments were up.

• Xenolith

A video card is an important part of any “staycation”. Less travel, more time playing games.

• ssidbroadcast

I /[

• tfp

it leaves out a good number of gamers that don’t use steam, and it is not a complete picture of the graphics market.

Other then that I’m sure the numbers are great.

• srg86

The trouble is that not everyone is a gamer

• indeego

I’ve gone years without submitting info to the surveyg{<.<}g I'm not alone.

• A_Pickle

Yeah. I usually participate, but… that’s ’cause I’m a geek and I want Valve to have the best possible picture of what hardware their users have to deploy their software on. My computer specs are, in short, my vote.

That said, I know of plenty of geeks who don’t submit their hardware specs to Valve out of concern for privacy or as a matter of principle. And I’ll bet you anything the Joe Schmoes of the world who bought that neat looking game at Circuit City probably click the option that best resembles, “Leave me the f**k alone” whenever the Valve Hardware Survey prompts them (and then promptly bitch whenever a game is too heavy to run on their system).

• WaltC

IIRC, the Valve hardware survey is voluntary…so I don’t think it’s near “the bellwether” that you might think…;) It’s been awhile since I looked at it, but it also seems to be a bit challenged from a chronological point of view, too.

• ludi

I don’t think I’ve done a Valve hardware survey anytime recently (and my primary video card and CPU have both changed since the last time I remember doing one). Also, how many MMORPG players cross over into the FPS market where Valve still has its strongest presence?

Another problem is that while gamers may be a more representative market, they often have a say in upgrades to an indefinite number of secondary or family computers. My primary machine is running Nvidia right now and might eventually be counted, but I have ATi in a spare computer and a media PC that have both never seen Steam, and for that matter, I just upgraded my dad’s older computer with an ATi card that will never be counted by Valve, either.

• ssidbroadcast

In reply to ALL OF YOU:

You’re forgetting some basic facts when gathering statistics.

-You can poll a sample of 1000 people, and have 98% accuracy about the entire demograph.

-You can poll a sample of 2000 people, thus doubling your poll costs, but you _[

• ludi

Uhm, but gamer is not a gamer is not a gamer is not a gamer there, Ms. Stein. Valve started as an FPS shop and that’s still where a huge amount of their business is. As such, I think you’re overlooking the concept of a “biased sample”.

• wibeasley

I agree with ludi that there could be a substantial ‘self-selection’ bias. The typical computer users likely are very different than the gamers who use Steam. And the gamers who use Steam even could be different than those who choose to spend the extra time completing the survey.

I don’t think anything ‘magical’ would have to happen for the Steam descriptive statistics to be misrepresenting the typical user. Valve doesn’t report any inferential stats with covariates or propensity scores, do they?

• ssidbroadcast

Yeah okay, if you want to figure out how many non-gamers are using ATi or nVidia IGPs instead of an intel-based IGP then I guess this data is superior… in so far as broad-consumer marketshare, and gross sales for each maker.

It’s not a good indicator of mindshare.

• ludi

Dude! MMORPGs are a huge market that Valve is unlikely to service. I know WoW players who haven’t touched an FPS ever/in years. And if I were spending $15/month for the privilege of accessing a game I probably wouldn’t play many others, either. These are definitely “gamers”, they do upgrade hardwdare as they see fit, and they are unlikely to be captured by a Steam hardware survey.

• ssidbroadcast

I guess we’ll never find out–but I think Blizz should do a similar hardware survey. If anything, JUST to find out what percentage of their WoW users are on IGPs. You might think it’s a significant (more than 1/3) portion of their base. I don’t.

• cegras

I think you’re wrong in assuming Steam’s hardware survey is an accurate measure of market share. Considering WoW has over 10 million subscribers, that’s a substantial wrench thrown in already.

• A_Pickle

Well said, sir. Can’t tell you how many people I’ve introduced to Steam. Do hardware market research a favor, and tell everyone who you meet that doesn’t know about Steam to Google “Audiosurf.” 😀

• tfp

wow you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to surveys. First off Valve is not taking a random sample. 2 not everyone plays FPS or games that Valve targets which are generally pretty high on graphics. 3 PCs with graphics w/o embedded graphics are a small sample in general as can be seen by the Intel numbers.

Just because you really like valve and steam doesn’t mean it is a good poll and just be used.

• flip-mode

With the 4670 and 4830 just recently launching, AMD might have an even better 4th quarter. Nvidia could still pull something out of its hat I suppose, but right now it’s fighting AMD’s current gen products with its last gen products. If it managed to put out a GTX 240 and GTX 220 in the 4th quarter, that would be interesting, but I have heard mention of no such products. Nvidia’s strategy of the old G9x chips to fight the new ATI hotness is not looking very wise. How much more can be shaved off the prices of those products, while the HD4 cards have just hit the market and can likely be adjusted downward in price quite comfortable if necessary. And the GT200 based products are already selling for about as low as they can comfortably go without a die shrink, no? And how complex / expensive are the PCBs for those?

• slaimus

GTX 270 and 290 at 55nm is probably more likely

• clone

possibly but not likely in time to change the Xmas buying season where it all counts.

• TREE

l[

• Peldor

AMD gains 0.1% marketshare.
    Intel gains 16%.

While Nvidia sagged, Via collapsed.

Via 3Q07 7.3%
    Via 3Q08 0.9%

Intel snapped up nearly all of the drops in Nvidia, Via, and SiS marketshares.

• willyolio

20.6 – 18.1 != 0.1

• wibeasley

Did Intel have 46.4% in Q3 2007 (instead of 36.4%)?

• Cyril

Actually, JPR’s report says 36.4% for Nvidia and 33.4% for Intel. I’ve just updated the post with those numbers, my bad.

• wibeasley

I didn’t expect Intel’s integrated graphics to jump 10% in market share during a period when Vista adoption increased. Is there some other cause that I’m not considering?

Any chance JPR misplaced 10% when they were doing the arithmetic?

• Corrado

Netbooks maybe? Thats a guess. Also, Intel’s integrated graphics run Aero just fine. Even my MSI Wind runs Aero without lag.

• A_Pickle

Er, oh. But I thought Aero = teh ultra lag?[/sarcasm]

My X3100 does Aero better than Nvidia’s 6150, 7050, 7100, and 7150. It’s on par with their 8200, and I’ve yet to see a 9400M do Aero. That said, I’m convinced ATI’s integrated stuff pulls off Aero just a */[

• DreadCthulhu

Vista adoption would have helped Intel at the bottom of the market; while Intel’s integrated graphics are pretty crappy, they can run Aero well enough, while the craptastic stuff Via & SiS put out can’t run Aero.